News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Future of 2box

Started by hemiboy, April 17, 2014, 03:23:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

digitalDrummer

Quote from: hemiboy on April 23, 2014, 02:00:17 AM
Can I plead insanity and throw myself at the mercy of the court. Lol?
Case dismissed. You are hereby cautioned against making any future connections between Tama and any Scandinavian electronics company.

hemiboy

That reminds me of a little joke,,, Your Honor, I swear to god!! I got on her and right off her

fulrmr

Quote from: hemiboy on April 23, 2014, 02:21:00 AM
Murgen, I don't know too much at all about the Gen 16's Do you play yours triggered or stock?  I like the looks of the buffed bronze but I can't   and wouldn't come up with that kinda scratch for them right now. I would like to buy a set used down the road and trigger them though. I take it that the Gen's haven't sold great, is that right?

Can't speak for Murgen but I use them both ways you mentioned. I don't think Zildjian will be abandoning Gen16 any time soon...especially with the Buffed Bronze series coming out. From the audio I've heard...they have stepped up their game and listened to the masses about creating a warmer tone base for their processing with the DS pickups. I think they are here to stay. I have it on good authority that they are looking to the future with these and are continuing development in the Gen16 line. I'm thinking of picking up a BB set for the kit at my church. I doubt I'll be converting any of those though. I think they'll do just fine as is.

Murgen

Quote from: hemiboy on April 23, 2014, 02:21:00 AM
Murgen, I don't know too much at all about the Gen 16's Do you play yours triggered or stock?  I like the looks of the buffed bronze but I can't   and wouldn't come up with that kinda scratch for them right now. I would like to buy a set used down the road and trigger them though. I take it that the Gen's haven't sold great, is that right?

I play out of the box (AE480) with separately purchased Direct Pickups. My concern is the next (forgive me some rants):

The engineer who developed the Gen16 (small company hired by Zildjian) is incredible nice, friendly, eager and active in solving the small teething issues where the Zildjian does not seem to care about European customers.

The GEN16 has teething issues.

The first pickups bleed (because they are mic's picking up every sound/noise) and the second release, the Direct Pickups have some small quality issues (plastic connector breaking down, 1 had defect in led-wiring, 1 screw-thread was screwed up) and they were all solved within a couple of days by Julia because she send me replacement parts without any charge.  :D.

I feel incredible grateful for her effort because she saved my day twice and Zildjian's rep for me (I'm a Paiste Giant Beat kid all over on my acoustic kit). In the mean time Zildjian ditched the GEN16.com website without notification and does not offer the European clients any upgrade to Direct Pickups and hihat modification - you have to drill a larger hole in the bottom hat to make the Direct Pickup module fit! Next to this, there are almost no dealers over here selling the Direct Pickup. A German drummer from this forum bought 6 in the USA last summer and used a remail firm to get them here and send me 3 of those, I still think the guy did a great job because the Direct Pickups are a large improvement.

Finally: I'm looking forward to the bronze GEN's for the sound. Just puzzled why Zildjian did not offered them in the first place. I do hope that the bronze cymbals are strong enough, they are perforated all over and this weakens the structure. That is my major worry, is the GEN16 bronze sufficiently tested or do we run into a next teething issue?

/rant
--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012

fulrmr

Quote from: Murgen on April 23, 2014, 05:48:49 PM
In the mean time Zildjian ditched the GEN16.com website without notification
/rant
This Z site still has Gen 16s...is it different from the one in your country?

http://zildjian.com/

Murgen

Quote from: fulrmr on April 23, 2014, 07:34:58 PM
This Z site still has Gen 16s...is it different from the one in your country?

http://zildjian.com/

There used to be www.gen16.com ...
--------

fulrmr

Quote from: Murgen on April 23, 2014, 07:55:08 PM
There used to be www.gen16.com ...

Interesting...I've always just accessed them for here. Not sure why they would need a separate page anyway since they are a Zildjian product?

Murgen

Quote from: fulrmr on April 23, 2014, 08:11:59 PM
Interesting...I've always just accessed them for here. Not sure why they would need a separate page anyway since they are a Zildjian product?

Me bad! Forgot the dash. Still alive it seems.

http://gen-16.com/Support/Contact-Us
--------

fulrmr

Quote from: Murgen on April 23, 2014, 08:29:48 PM
Me bad! Forgot the dash. Still alive it seems.

http://gen-16.com/Support/Contact-Us

hehehe..it's still attached to the Zildjian home page though. ;)

RadioKing

Interesting discussion, but everyone's assuming that 2box is intending to compete with Roland and Yamaha. For all I know, that may be true. But what if they're playing a different game, trying for something else entirely? To hobbyists, tinkerers, and weekend giggers, they're the quirky company with the orange pads and the open module. To pros, they're the obvious choice. Remember back when every touring drummer seemed to use a ddrum module? I suspect that many pros are using, or will soon begin to use, 2box modules--and we might not even know it, because they're using hidden triggers on acoustic drums. In this sense, it's possible to be a profitable, successful company, even if you're not dominating the market.

fishmonkey

that's true. being successful is not necessarily the same thing as shipping squillions of units.

fulrmr

Quote from: RadioKing on May 26, 2014, 03:24:26 AM
Interesting discussion, but everyone's assuming that 2box is intending to compete with Roland and Yamaha. For all I know, that may be true. But what if they're playing a different game, trying for something else entirely? To hobbyists, tinkerers, and weekend giggers, they're the quirky company with the orange pads and the open module. To pros, they're the obvious choice. Remember back when every touring drummer seemed to use a ddrum module? I suspect that many pros are using, or will soon begin to use, 2box modules--and we might not even know it, because they're using hidden triggers on acoustic drums. In this sense, it's possible to be a profitable, successful company, even if you're not dominating the market.

Indeed. :)

bluelachanodrakon

Tomas Haake of Meshuggah uses two 2 Box modules, one a back up, for his bass drums.

mcrackins

Quote from: bluelachanodrakon on May 26, 2014, 07:59:04 PM
Tomas Haake of Meshuggah uses two 2 Box modules, one a back up, for his bass drums.

I believe Randy Black from Primal Fear is sponsored by 2box. I found out recently he used to be a regular on the club circuit in my hometown back in the 80's/90's. He has the 2box logo on the bottom of his website with his other sponsors - http://www.randyblack.de/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlNi63UvbWY

This german metal drummer has a pretty awesome 2box setup - https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=750032651685239

fulrmr