News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

682 heads the final verdict

Started by BURNIN AMBITION, April 14, 2014, 03:45:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BURNIN AMBITION

ok i decided to write a new thread so that new forum members etc, wont have trouble finding out what is going on in these heads.

i will cut a long story short and just tell the facts.
i have purchased the whole set of 682 heads for 2box. everything is amazing about these heads. for double ply mesh heads, they are really silent. the rebound is as it should be, really close to an acoustic set and they are sturdy and durable.
i had alittle problem with 2 of the tom heads, somehow i got 2 that had a little less mesh on it so they wouldnt sit properly on the toms. bad luck... i contacted them and they were very helpful and very professional. in a matter of few days i got my replacement heads, and they were excellent. now in my kit every single  head is 682. and i couldnt be happier about it

i have tried roland mesh heads for the kick. too loud and bouncy. didnt dig them . especially the loud noise was irritating
z-ed heads. they were a bit more silent but also with more rebound which i hated. also the kick head would not install. they are not good for 2box unless you change the screws in 2box.
drum tech design heads for snare. these were good. but also very very loud. and not as durable as i would want, since i managed to break them... and i am not that heavy hitter in my el;ectronic kits. i play with 7a sticks.

bottom line is that i can vouch that these heads are the best gift you can give to yourself. they do make a really big difference in playability of 2box.

ps. i am in no way associated with 682. the nice review is because i feel they deserve it.
and i believe also that their price is right!!!!
take care guys

ps2. anyone having trouble with tom heads, please do contact them. they will sort it all out and they are excellent guys. i know!!! cant wait for tomorrows practise!!! i am in love with 2box all over again!
2box, bengt, deve, digital drummer, Jman, Brian, Manfred thanx for everything

iola 11
http://www.facebook.com/iola11
www.reverbnation.com/iola11
https://soundcloud.com/iola11
https://twitter.com/iola11band
www.youtube.com/iola11band
www.myspace.com/iola11

mcrackins

UPDATE FROM 682 - "We found out that our 10 inch mesh heads need a little bit more mesh. Unfortunately the 2box is the only kit that has problems with it, for acoustic drums and Vdrums it’s no problem. From now on we make sure the 2box heads will get a little bit more mesh, so this problem can no longer occur.  Mesh always stretches a little when they are new, so your problem will be solved automatically when they are on the 2box pads for a while."

Burnin, I also had problems with the Tom heads. I managed to get them on, but it was quite the arduous process. While screwing in each screw, I had to put vice grips with a thick padded cloth at each screw. There was literally no other way of getting them on.

I was going to contact the company about it, but then I eventually got them on, they seem pretty tight though. The snare head went on easily. I haven't put the bass drum head on yet as I'm waiting for the Kat tennis ball beater to arrive. It literally took me about 90 minutes to get the three tom heads on....which should have taken me 15-20 minutes.

I do agree, the heads have a great feel, but getting the tom heads on were a real frustration.
What did you mean by the toms had a little mesh on it? I looked at mine and they seemed to sit on the drums okay. I think that the 2box screws are a little short. You shouldn't have to apply even pressure to a drum head when screwing on a skin. The screws should go in easily and should have a more length, not just enough length.

The feel of these heads are great and the speed of delivery was fantastic. I ordered the whole set and got them in about 4 days...Netherlands to Western Canada. I'd like to see some consistency in head construction. I look forward to trying the bass drum head. I would order them again.

"I had a little problem with 2 of the tom heads, somehow i got 2 that had a little less mesh on it so they wouldnt sit properly on the toms. bad luck... i contacted them and they were very helpful and very professional. in a matter of few days i got my replacement heads, and they were excellent. now in my kit every single  head is 682."

BURNIN AMBITION

first of all, the update they did on their website is because of me.
i sent them comparison photos of the 2box heads and 682 heads so that they  understand why they were in some cases a tight fit. when i say that there was little msh i meant that the heads dodnt sit low enough on the pads. if there was more mesh on the head rim, they would sit lower on the pad and get screwed easier. with the replacement heads they sent me there was no problem at all and now they check all heads so noone has any problems.
they had excellent communication btw.
if you also have problems with the heads you can contact them. my tom heads get replaced easily now!!!!
the snare and kick heads had no problem at all!!!
i really love playing on these heads now!
2box, bengt, deve, digital drummer, Jman, Brian, Manfred thanx for everything

iola 11
http://www.facebook.com/iola11
www.reverbnation.com/iola11
https://soundcloud.com/iola11
https://twitter.com/iola11band
www.youtube.com/iola11band
www.myspace.com/iola11

mcrackins

They got back to me right away. I told them I got the Tom heads on, but it was extremely difficult. They told me the heads will stretch out and any new heads will be spec'd properly for 2box heads thanks to your info you provided to them.

I really love the heads as well. Really natural feel. Glad to know once I replace the tom heads they'll be an easy fit.

hemiboy

Mcrackins are these the black or white 682's?

StudioG4

Does anyone know how they compare to the Hart Maxxum and Hart Magnum heads?
Thanks.

mcrackins

Hemiboy,

They are the black heads.

Quote from: hemiboy on April 16, 2014, 01:21:03 AM
Mcrackins are these the black or white 682's?

Slap the drummer

I loved these heads too, great value I thought  8)

I thought I would mention something...
The black heads feel very different to the white heads imho.  I preferred
the black.  When you look closely you can see that the meshes are different.

Worth keeping in mind perhaps.

Wish I wasn't selling my kit  :'(

Murgen

Yep, they are good heads despite being a bit tight and with the relatively short screws from 2Box.

I must say that the original heads last longer then expected. So far only my kick has been replaced by 682 and I do have an original spare for both snare and tom.
--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012

supermachoman

Quote from: Slap the drummer on April 16, 2014, 10:19:41 AM
I thought I would mention something...
The black heads feel very different to the white heads imho.  I preferred
the black.  When you look closely you can see that the meshes are different.

Hi there, I'm about to order a set of 682 heads and I don't know which color to choose, can you (or anyone else) please elaborate on what the differences between them are?
thanks in advance!

hemiboy

The black ones are nice and quiet and feel to me, pretty much like Roland's as far as a little bouncy. I am playing them on full size shells so I don't know what they are like on 2 box pads although I did have them on my Roland kit of course being on smaller pads, they were quieter. Unfortunately, no matter how many reviews you read , you really have to try them for yourself . Many of us but one for the snare and if we like it, we go forward with the rest. Good Luck and Welcome!

Slap the drummer

Quote from: supermachoman on April 22, 2014, 11:03:03 AM
Hi there, I'm about to order a set of 682 heads and I don't know which color to choose, can you (or anyone else) please elaborate on what the differences between them are?
thanks in advance!

i thought the white felt stiffer and less responsive/bouncy
a tad more like a real head, which is a good thing or a bad,
depending on yr prefs
cheers

hemiboy

Hey Slap,  sounds  like you have played both white and black 682 heads. You mentioned response but what about sound and more importantly, volume? I have the black 692 on full size shells but was thinking about changing to the whites  but I hear they are completely different. I by the way have read the reviews from digital drummer but I need "live feedback"