News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Nice inexpensive 20ft, 8 Channel Cable Snake

Started by mcrackins, April 11, 2014, 07:16:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcrackins

I picked up this 8 channel cable snake on Amazon. Really nice quality and a king deal at 32 bucks. The local music store here has one that isn't colour coded or sheathed for $100

Perfect for the 8 outs on the Drumit brain.

http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Meter-8-Channel-4inch-Snake/dp/B00IACDU34/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1397200224&sr=8-5&keywords=monoprice+20ft+trs+cable+snake

It shipped super fast. There was a brokerage fee of $10 bucks due to the border.

Sharky

..Are the tails long enough to reach to each individual drum pad connector?  I had a problem where I then had to get extenders and short TRS fly leads to get them to reach each pad.  The module end was fine of course as the inputs are next to each other.  S.

mcrackins

Sharky,

No. From the sheath to end of the cable tip is about a foot and a half.
The sheath could probably be cut back, but it is quite thick. The quality of the snake is quite good..especially for the price.

It's more suited for going from your outs to a mixing board or audio interface with multiple inputs. That's what I'm using it for.

If you want me throw up a picture, let me know.

Quote from: Sharky on April 15, 2014, 06:26:19 AM
..Are the tails long enough to reach to each individual drum pad connector?  I had a problem where I then had to get extenders and short TRS fly leads to get them to reach each pad.  The module end was fine of course as the inputs are next to each other.  S.

fishmonkey

sorry to be a party pooper, but the main problem with cheap cables is unreliable wiring and soldering. XLRs are especially a problem, but TRS jacks are also tricky to do right...

mcrackins

Quote from: fishmonkey on April 16, 2014, 04:59:18 AM
sorry to be a party pooper, but the main problem with cheap cables is unreliable wiring and soldering. XLRs are especially a problem, but TRS jacks are also tricky to do right...

I'll have to disagree with you there. Don't confuse inexpensive for cheaply made. Prime example is Monster cables and their outrageous prices. You could buy several Monoprice HDMI cables for the price of a Monster cable. I bought 3 Eforcity 15ft HDMI cables, Optical, Component cable from Eforcity for less than $60 and have had them for 4 years now.

You also need to factor in that not everyone will be plugging/unplugging cables constantly. Myself, I'll be keeping it plugged into the brain and mixing board.

Or put this into perspective. I could buy three of these Monoprice 20FT Snakes for the price of one at the local music store that "physically" looks cheaper and is half the length - http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/4386/Pro_Audio_Recording/Cables/Yorkville_Sound/10_Foot_8_Channel_Fan_Snake_TRS.htm

fishmonkey

what i mean is that cheap cables tend to be hit and miss. many cables are stupidly over-priced too, that is for sure.

mcrackins

Oh I know, and I've had a few over the years :)

There is also the example of 2Box. Much more inexpensive than the competitors with features that match or exceed some high end units. One of the reasons I bought the 2box set was the individual outs for each drum.  Only the high end expensive competitor kits have that option.  I also didn't like machine gun drum sounds  ;D

Quote from: fishmonkey on April 17, 2014, 02:34:25 AM
what i mean is that cheap cables tend to be hit and miss. many cables are stupidly over-priced too, that is for sure.

analoguekid

where do you guys get 1/4" balanced Right angle cables?  the cheap Roland/Hosa/2box cables are virtually disposable...any ideas?

hemiboy

I never used anything but Roland , hosa cables but I  never had a seconds problem with them in 4 years and I play almost every day. But , I don't gig and I don't tear down my set at all It is up, period. Curious how others have done with these and other cables? If there is something tons better for reasonable money, I would like to know about them

fulrmr

The most inexpensive way to get long lasting quality cables is to build them yourself from quality bulk parts. :)

mcrackins

Quote from: analoguekid on July 02, 2014, 06:57:24 PM
where do you guys get 1/4" balanced Right angle cables?  the cheap Roland/Hosa/2box cables are virtually disposable...any ideas?

In case you're still looking - http://www.monoprice.com/Search/Index?keyword=right+angle+trs