News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

DIY cymbals for the tom rim imputs

Started by dtothaizzlej, April 07, 2014, 04:18:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dtothaizzlej

I just got my 2Box kit last month and I love it but now I need more cymbals to match my old drum set. I got 4 of the Hosa ypp 117 splitters so now I just need to built the cymbals. My question is can these cymbals have choke capabilities or are the limited to just single zone? I will try to make a 3 zone for the cymbal 3 input but I just don't want to try and make for the others choke if it won't work.

edtc

no choke possible for the splitted inputs ...

for cymbal 3 , you ll have to place the sensor in the bell , and a switch for the edge sound and choke ... 

dtothaizzlej

Does it matter where the piezo is mounted on split input cymbals? Is there a way to get them to play 2 zone? I don't plan on using tom 4. Can that input be used for a dual or 3 zone cymbal? My guess is that I can just spit it into 2 single zone inputs.

edtc

Quote from: dtothaizzlej on April 08, 2014, 02:07:12 PM
Does it matter where the piezo is mounted on split input cymbals?  no

Is there a way to get them to play 2 zone? no

I don't plan on using tom 4. Can that input be used for a dual or 3 zone cymbal? no

:)

dtothaizzlej

On the down side, I won't be able to have too many options. On the up side, my first DIY build should be fool proof. I'll try and post some pictures of the completed cymbals after I'm done.

dtothaizzlej

Well I made 3 triggers and I bought the appropriate splitters, now I need to figure out how to change the rim trigger sound without changing the tom sound. Is this something I have to do in the sound editor or can I do this in the module?

edtc

yes ... what you could do is to downolad and read the 2BOX manual ... quite everything is explained there ... ;)

dtothaizzlej

All of the single zone cymbals that I built had the wires detach from the piezos. :( I'm in the process of rebuilding them and I'm wondering if i made a mistake by not placing the piezos at the bell. I thought that they would be vulnerable out in the open there. I had them under my custom bottomless project box that was mounted on the bow area. I didn't have any anti rotation elements so most of my hits landed near or on the piezo area often.

This time around I'm planning on using a better project box and also putting at least one of the cymbals piezos under the bell. In the whole process I was also wondering if anyone has ever tried using a radio shack buzzer without removing the plastic housing. I think that it would help to protect the piezo but that it may ruin the trigger sensitivity.

fulrmr

Quote from: dtothaizzlej on January 04, 2015, 11:06:06 PM
All of the single zone cymbals that I built had the wires detach from the piezos. :( I'm in the process of rebuilding them and I'm wondering if i made a mistake by not placing the piezos at the bell. I thought that they would be vulnerable out in the open there. I had them under my custom bottomless project box that was mounted on the bow area. I didn't have any anti rotation elements so most of my hits landed near or on the piezo area often.

This time around I'm planning on using a better project box and also putting at least one of the cymbals piezos under the bell. In the whole process I was also wondering if anyone has ever tried using a radio shack buzzer without removing the plastic housing. I think that it would help to protect the piezo but that it may ruin the trigger sensitivity.

Not sure about the Radio Shack buzzer but when I mount mine in the bell(directly to the cymbal surface) I cover them with a trimmed down (for depth) bottom of an appropriate size pill bottle using hot glue and/or KRT (killer Red Tape) to hold it in place. This makes for a low profile and sufficient protection.

dtothaizzlej

Thanks that's a really good idea. I was hesitant of putting it there out in the open but I'm going to give that a try.  :rock:

InTheBox

What do you cover your cymbals with, or is sound not an issue for you?

I made some DIY cymbals years ago when I was fooling around with an Alesis DM5 module. I covered those with a thin rubber yoga mat, but it looked a bit too home made.

dtothaizzlej

I covered my cymbals with a single layer of rubber roofing material. They are still a little loud but not much more than the 2Box cymbals. Sound isn't a real issue for me but I would like to maybe add a second layer so that they feel closer to the 2Box cymbals.