News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Loading the latest 2 box samples

Started by eyerichards, December 31, 2009, 02:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eyerichards

Hey Guys,
I'm interested to know, after unzipping the new 2box samples on a PC  (for example the dry recording toms) you get 2 folders come up i.e  _macosx and Dry_recording_toms. do you transfer both complete folders to the 2box drive or do you take individual samples from just the dry-recording_toms folder and put them in the 2box drives tom folder.
I wouldnt mind knowing the correct procedure before I start transferring stuff higgldy piggldy ha ha!

Also Happy New Year to everyone on the forum. VIVA LA ORANGE !!!

puttenvr

Hi, just copy the *.dsnd files into the map (tom, snare etc)
and forget the _macosx and other files

Remi

You can use sub folders, but be aware of path length.
The LU-snares and MA-snares I placed in sub folders (in folder snares)
When selecting an sample, first the files in folder snares are displayed then the files in the sub folders are displayed.

eyerichards

Thanks for that guys,
By the way how do the new samples sound and what are your favourites.
Cheers
Ian

puttenvr

The hard rock toms are usefull for an agressive sound
The dry (unprocessed) recording toms sound good, but I prefer the ones who were already on board.

eyerichards

I might give the dry toms a go tonight at the gig and post some feedback on using them live tomorrow. I have found in the past that the drier the sample the more natural and present they sound as the venues natural reverb can muddy up samples if they have any added reverbs/effects on them. Most of our cover band venues these days here in NZ are not designed for live entertainment and consist of lots of hard reflective surfaces so getting a nice tight fat
sound is a bit of mission at times, hence my use of the ddrum4 for the last 10 years and now the 2box. current snare that works best for me live is the Nasvall ( Im interested to hear how the new Nasvall samples sound in comparison.

puttenvr

Quote from: eyerichards on January 01, 2010, 09:52:05 PM... as the venues natural reverb can muddy up samples if they have any added reverbs/effects on them.
The Roland problem

Quotecurrent snare that works best for me live is the Nasvall
My favourite too, but I noticed that some snare with a bit more bite do well in the band sound

Dr.Wu

i always thought that the roland sounds are bone dry and that there is artifical reverb added that can be turned off.
I like the dry samples in the Drumit5 but wish i could control the ambience amount in the wet ones or am i missing a trick here?

eyerichards

Quote from: Dr.Wu on January 02, 2010, 11:18:23 PM
i always thought that the roland sounds are bone dry and that there is artifical reverb added that can be turned off.
I like the dry samples in the Drumit5 but wish i could control the ambience amount in the wet ones or am i missing a trick here?

You can reduce the ambience to a small degree by lowering the decay but then you sacrifice sustain.
I road tested the dry recording toms last night and was very pleased with how they blended with the band sound coming through my in ear monitors.Full & present just how I like them. Didnt get to hear how they sounded out front unfotunately.. I used to have a Yamaha Recording Custom kit in Hot red back in 1989 ( wished I could have kept it arrrrgh!) and I remember the 16" floor tom had a distinctive little basket ball ping which is what the sample has! So they get the thumbs up from me. :rock:

It would be nice to see the rest of the existing 2box toms available in dry format which I'm sure they will do in the near future.

What snare do you use live guys?

drew

Could someone make a recording with the new samples so we can hear what they sound like, please?

mandubien

Quote from: drew on January 04, 2010, 02:55:36 AM
Could someone make a recording with the new samples so we can hear what they sound like, please?

Just download them from the official 2box website and use VLC to listen to them.

eyerichards

Quote from: mandubien on January 06, 2010, 03:26:18 PM
Just download them from the official 2box website and use VLC to listen to them.

Excuse my ignorance but what is VLC and where can I get it.
Cheers  ;D

mandubien

VLC is free software created by a french university. It's a VERY light software, and it can read almost EVERY THING (video and audio), and transcode in whatever you want.

You can find it here : www.videolan.org

eyerichards

Quote from: mandubien on January 06, 2010, 10:05:03 PM
VLC is free software created by a french university. It's a VERY light software, and it can read almost EVERY THING (video and audio), and transcode in whatever you want.

You can find it here : www.videolan.org
Cheers for that i'll try it out tonight.  :rock:

drew

Er, just listening to each hit of each drum doesn't exactly give you a good idea of how a pattern on the kit sounds while being played. It's not like it's a terrible amount of effort, just play a couple of bars and try to hit each pad at least once at varying velocities. When I get mine I fully intend on making lots of demos for the betterment of the community, something which 2Box really should be doing themselves anyway.