News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

New Gen 16's Bronze.

Started by hemiboy, February 07, 2014, 03:03:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemiboy

Anybody playing or waiting on the new gen 16's in bronze. i read up on them a little and the ey look cool! Curious as to how much acoustic noise they have as compared to a  metal Alesis  surge cymbal or a Roland , 2box,or any other dampened metal cymbals . Also am I right in assuming that you could diy them with a Jman conversion and play them with the pick ups and Zildjian  module when you wanted to ? If so I would just use cymbal mutes when I was playing with my 2 box and then if I wanted to rip into them without the mutes.

fulrmr

Well...they are "acoustic" cymbals...so...they will not be quiet like the rubber or dampened offerings...but they will have a much more pleasant tone and be much quieter than their traditional acoustic counterparts. ;)

As for the triggers....yes...Jman's triggers will work just fine like they do on the Nickel versions...however...you cannot use them simultaneously with the pickups as the triggers basically stop the acoustic vibrations and thus eliminate the tonal characteristics of the cymbal which are captured by the DS pickups. So...it's an "either/or" scenario....unless of course you want to amplify and add FX to the "thud". ;)

Murgen

--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012

fulrmr

Quote from: hemiboy on February 07, 2014, 06:31:41 AM
So Them if I am clear, I can play them thru the 2 box module with j's triggers or plug them into the Zildjian module and use with the pick ups, correct?

"Or" is the key word here. :)

Murgen

Looking forward testing Bronze. I love playing a real hihat on my e-kit. I noticed it improved my skills and technique dramatically. Very beneficial for the gig's and rehearsals on an acoustic kit.
--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012

digitalDrummer

Using the bronze cymbals with piezo triggers would, in my view, be a waste of money as their performance would be the same as the regular Gen16s which cost half as much.

hemiboy

I guess for that kinda of money I will stick with what i have . I get sucked in with the look  but they are plenty of money! Thanks for helping me thru this latest g. a.s attack.

csnow

These are an absolute buy for me.  I really like the sound bites from NAMM.  I am not a fan of the nickel with the exception of the hats.  The crash and ride in the bronze really sound improved.  I also like the looks of the bronze.  Silly as that sounds, I like my ekit looking like my akit.

fulrmr

Quote from: csnow on February 10, 2014, 09:27:30 PM
These are an absolute buy for me.  I really like the sound bites from NAMM.  I am not a fan of the nickel with the exception of the hats.  The crash and ride in the bronze really sound improved.  I also like the looks of the bronze.  Silly as that sounds, I like my ekit looking like my akit.

That's not silly at all. Most e kits do not have aesthetic appeal of A kits. That's a lot of the reason for the false stereotyping when it comes to gigging. I've played gigs where everyone thought my stealth kit was a true A kit...and they loved it. The Buffed Bronze should make a nice addition to the Gen16 line. I think it will appeal to a larger demographic in spite of the price.

Dänoh

Quote from: csnow on February 10, 2014, 09:27:30 PM
Silly as that sounds, I like my ekit looking like my akit.

That's not so silly, IMO. There's a whole market evolving around acoustic-looking ekits! :)
Personally, I can't withstand the true beauty of a nicely executed conversion-kit!

Need evidence?  8)

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/forum/general/the-lounge/970116-winter-is-coming-time-for-a-freakin-namm-thread?p=971418#post971418

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/forum/general/products/971351-drum-tec-vs-jobeky-vs-diamond?p=971408#post971408

...and of course, Diamond, Pearl's 'Quilted' E-Pro shells, and I'd also like to include the newest KAT premium shells here!

;)

HTH

csnow

Those kits look really, really good but they just look silly with the hub cap cymbals.  That is why I am really looking forward to the bronze gen16's.

dj_porter

I need to buy some Gen16 , anybody?

ElectronicDrumCenter

The cymbals are very nice sounding, I was very pleased. Ship date is May 2014.