News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Double triggering / ghosting on the snare

Started by Manfred, December 29, 2009, 11:45:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manfred

Hi,

since yesterday I have my new 2Box-kit.

In the standard-configuration the snare is double-triggering. I tried to fix it by changing the tension of the head but not really successful. Increasing the thresh from -48 to -40 reduces most of the double triggers. But of course the sensitivitiy is also reduced. Very weak hits are suppressed with these settings

Is there a way to avoid double triggering without reducing the sensitivity?

Greets, Manfred

NeilC

Hi welcome to the forum.

Also play about with the Gain settings and the Curve settings. You may also want to press 'More' and 'snare' and double check the settings for that element also

Cheers

UC

Hi there Manfred, wilkommen :)

One of the other forum members, nonoduweb, replaced his with a Roland double-mesh head and that fixed it...

Do you have an old dampening ring lying around you could try? I'll PM Scott to see if this has come up in discussion at 2box.

Cheers
Tom

puttenvr

I have the vel. curve on linear (normal)
treshold on -45 (so between 40 and 48)
and tighten up the mesh head very strong
No double triggering at all, except when I hit the pad twice  :D

nonoduweb

Hi

Perhaps you can try with another head but not a roland. The V drum heads are very good but expensive.

I think that my snare head had a problem.

roel

Quote from: nonoduweb on December 29, 2009, 05:59:20 PM
Hi

Perhaps you can try with another head but not a roland.

I think that my snare head had a problem.

If you are looking for a new meshhead, try the drum-tec pro meshheads these are superb.
I have played on them at drum-tec and these are really good.

Manfred

Hi,

thanks for your hints so far. Tomorrow I will try what I can reach with different Trigger-Settings. I also read that the drum-tec meshs are pretty good. But at first I want to try out all the options and settings the brain is offering.

bye, Manfred

Baby Samus

Hi Manfred,

I think it would be a good idea to have a guide somewhere on the forum for questions like this - I had some issues with the snare double triggering at first, and I tried a few things - all or a combination of these may help.

• I have my snare pad set to Threshold 38, and Gain at 1 or 2.  At these levels the sensitivity is close to a real drum as you need for playing imo
  • Change the pad type from the 12" setting to a 10" setting.  (Yes it is a 12" pad, just do it  ;))
  • Make sure the head tension is not too slack, as this may cause the pad surface to 'wobble' more gibing you double triggers.

After doing this my double triggering went away. Now if only I could get the hats to work perfectly...

UC

Good idea Baby Samus, I'll move this thread to a new section and "sticky" it along with any others that seem useful.

Manfred

Hello,

accidentally i found out that double triggerings stops when a small cloth is lying on the mesh.  So i took a small piece of the styrofoam of the shipping box, wrapped it with some cotton taken of an old t-shirt an put it between the t-bar of the snare holder an the mesh. Not to strong, just that the cotton touches the mesh.

With this i can set the thresh to -48 and there is no double triggering. So even very weak hits on the snare lead to a trigger event. This might not be the best solution but i can live with it until the snare mesh is replaced with a more high-grade one.

I think i will also try the hint with the different mesh-size-setting.

bye, Manfred

puttenvr

Great found
Turning back 1 tuning bolt perhaps will do the job, as well

Happy New Ear

fuzziebea

Hello all togehter,

I´m new on this forum and I must say, I like it. It´s great to have a member of the 2box-team on board.

I have my 2box-set a couple of weeks. For the people who have problems with doubletriggering please try to put a peace of soft foam between head (trigger) and Cover. The reason for that doubletriggering is, in my opinion, the ring of foam under the head, wich is to hard. On stage I´m using a meshheaded Sonorset with a softer ring of foam under the head and the ddrum-trigger, and it works fine.

fuzziebea

Duronal

i know that this may sound a little odd but should we have to have workarounds for a kit that we've just paid £1600 for.  Surely it should just work out of the box right?   ???

i must confess i'm a little disappointed with these issues.

D

alainV

... do you know the price for a Roland? And not evolutive...

Duronal

I do indeed know the cost of a roland kit.  :-X

I'm just frustrated that's all, the TD9 has inferior sound but at least the hihat functions as you would expect.  It's not perfect!
I guess that's the problem with the drumit five, it promises a great deal BUT with the HH control and double trigger issues it isn't delivering as expected.

To continue this thead - A quick work around for the snare double triggering is to pop 3 coins (1 pence pieces) between the foam ring and mesh.  (they will need securing with a tiny bit of gafa.) Then youcan have the threshold on -48 and get great ghost notes.  

It's just a shame we had to do this.... i love the sound of the toms and snares though very organic. Not convinced that the HH layers blend very well with the kits though......any thoughts on this?