News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

HELP: 3rd party KICK PAD

Started by Banko, April 17, 2014, 09:43:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banko

Hi everybody, I bought a 2box module, but my Roland KD-7 isn't working well with it. I tried every tweaking, but it keeps double triggering here and there while playing. I tried kick1, kick2, xtalk high, but it keeps doing it. Playing a single stroke, it gives another beat after a second. Seems to be a trigger signal not properly read by the module.

Which is the best kick pad in this price range?

Thanks a lot to everyone

Jman

Quote from: Banko on April 17, 2014, 09:43:20 PM
Hi everybody, I bought a 2box module, but my Roland KD-9 isn't working well with it. I tried every tweaking, but it keeps double triggering here and there while playing. I tried kick1, kick2, xtalk high, but it keeps doing it. Playing a single stroke, it gives another beat after a second. Seems to be a trigger signal not properly read by the module.

Which is the best kick pad in this price range?

Thanks a lot to everyone
Threshold and Gain are the most important trigger parameters for this. Set the Gain so only your hardest hits peak the Meter. -48 is the lowest threshold -18 is the highest threshold .... so you want to raise that high enough so you are not getting double hits, but still detecting your light hits. Also you might check your head tension (not sure if you can adjust head tension on the KD-9?), try some different head tensions.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

Banko

Thanks for the answer, which showed me up a mistake I did: it's not a kd-9 but a kd-7, which definitely has no head tension.

For the threshold and gain suggestion, I tried every combination of settings, but nothing completely solved the problem. It seems that the trigger is disturbed by the noise coming from the cymbals (acoustics) or from the stage volume when I play live. I keep getting double triggering even when the gain is set to 0, and the threshold is high enough to detect only the hardest hits.
I used this kick pad with a Roland module for two years before, and it newer showed up this problem, so I guess is a problem of masking time.

fulrmr

Could be a loose jack or faulty cable too. Also...broken a wire on the piezo could do this.

Banko

I tried three or four cables, and I got the same result with all of them.

And for the broken piezo, seems strange that the problem started when I switched from Roland to 2Box.

I am thinking about buying a 2nd hand Yamaha KP-65.

edtc

Quote from: Banko on April 18, 2014, 10:05:35 AM

I am thinking about buying a 2nd hand Yamaha KP-65.

IMO those 2 kick triggers are just the same design ... you d better go for a meshhead design , or convert a cheap kickdrum ...

is it double triggering when you let the beater on the trigger after hitting ?

Banko

No, most of the times the double triggering happens after the beater left the trigger...