News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

too much rebound with mesh-head -> switch to old ddrum style pads??

Started by franz-tanz, January 01, 2014, 12:27:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

franz-tanz

Hey,
my approach in the whole e-drum concept is, that I want an e-drum that plays as natural as a real one.

So when you take an 14" stand tom and want to replace that with an proper e-drum pad a mesh head covered drum won't be the right thing because of the stronger rebound. It will weaken your hands and arm muscles over the long time because you need much less power to hit it. Also your endurance will suffer from playing an e-drum.

So what can you do:
- You can cover the mesh head with a towel to achieve less rebound. Anyone doing this?

- Another idea would be to go back to the old ddrum style pads, where you had a piezo glued to metal disc, above that 1.5 cm foam layer and than a mylar head. When you replace the mylar head with a mesh head you would have less impact noise. THat way you wouldn't have to tension the mesh head so strong and would have less rebound.

What do you guys do to achieve less rebound?? Any Ideas?

What about the yamaha silicone pads. Can you convert them, that they would be better playable with drumit5-brain. How many trigger zones do you have when you plug them into a drumit-module.
Only the head, and the rim wouldn't work? 

:rock:

Thanks

Dänoh

QuoteTHat way you wouldn't have to tension the mesh head so strong and would have less rebound.

You don't want a very low tensioned mesh-head!
As a general guidline, it will damage your triggers over time this way! (...regarding center-cone triggers, anyway).

QuoteHow many trigger zones do you have when you plug them into a drumit-module.
Only the head, and the rim wouldn't work? 

That seems to be correct... -  Head-zone only!

HTH

digitalDrummer

Another option might be the new 2box rubber heads. These should fit any 10 and 12" shells. They certainly felt better than silicone when I tried them at NAMM a couple of years back, but I'm not sure what compound is being used in the final product.
If noise is not an issue, you can always use mylar heads and external triggers - perhaps with muffle rings.
And then there's the Aquarian inHead and onHead solutions.

Krillo

I still use ddrum3 tom pads. The signal is too hot for the 2box module :( Those pads work fine with mesh heads, but I use regular ambassadors on them and my ddrum3. I'm thinking of getting a Yamaha XP120SD Snare Drum Pad and building a converter box for the ddrum3. I too find mesh too bouncy.

Murgen

I play acoustic and 2Box next to each other on a regular basis. Yes, acoustic is more fysical but all together it does not take much effort to swap mindset. Do not have issues with too much rebound, just a wee bit.
--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012