News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Snare cross-stick using Roland BT-1

Started by AndyMo, November 29, 2013, 11:42:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

edcito

Quote from: Jman on November 29, 2013, 04:03:19 PM
On the BT-1 Greg is using that in his recent demo vids: Check this thread:  http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php?topic=1898.0

On snare rim dsnds for both Cross-stick and rim shot: That is possible. It requires building a new dsnd. I have built a few from VSTs .... what you do is use all cross-stick WAVs for velocities except the highest 2 or 3 velocity layers .... for those highest layers you use the rim shot WAVs. You can actually do this with a 2Box stock dsnd by using Dsoundtool to split the .dsnd file and rebuilding it ..... since I have a little time this morning ... I might build one for you to try out.
Still, if you are familiar with Roland modules this is exactly what is happening with their snare rims ... it is a Velocity triggered change, lower velocities Xstick, higher velocities Rim shot. So it isn't perfect. I prefer to assign a Xstick sound to a different pad myself for songs where I need it .... that way there are no surprises. J

Can you elaborate on how you created dsnds with rimshot on the highest velocities and xstick in the lower using the stock sounds? I want to do this with the drumit 3 stock 3 zone snares. I open one in dsoundtool, splitted it, click generate dsnd with many samples per wav but i cannot select more than one file at a time...

p929

Quote from: edcito on August 12, 2018, 03:25:18 PM
Can you elaborate on how you created dsnds with rimshot on the highest velocities and xstick in the lower using the stock sounds?

I was looking at this. Unfortunately, it seems there isn't a simple way to achieve it. This is what I found:

1) Split the DSND file with the DsoundTool. It creates 3 folders for each zone.
2) In each folder a file called 'velocity.map' is created, in which the files of the folder are listed linked to the velocity according to dsoundtool (-100,360) [remember it's not the same as midi velocities that are between 0 and 127].
3) Create a new folder for copying the files that will be your 'rim' sound.
4) Based on the velocity.map file (it's a simple text file) select the sounds from folder 'Zone 7' (X-stick) with lower velocities, e.g. -100 < x < 200 and copy them to the folder previously created.
5) Based on the velocity.map file select the sounds from folder 'Zone 8' (Rimshot) with higher velocities, e.g. 200 < x < 360 and copy them to the folder previously created.
6) When Dsoundtool split the DSND file it doesn't add a 'Zone ID' to the wav filename, so be cautious when copying the files from steps 4) & 5) because they might end up having the same name, so you gotta modify the names accordingly. I suggest you to change the names of the all the X-stick files
7) copy one of the velocity map files to the folder with the selected files and edit it with the correct names.
8 ) Now you can create the DSND file. Select type 'snare', in 'Zone 3, head'  select input as "Many .wav files, 1 sample for file" and select the velocity.map file located on the folder with the head samples. It'll load all the files listed on that velocity map.
9) repeat step 8 ) but with the velocity file on the folder created in step 3)
10) You're ready for creating the file

The only problem I see is that one must use the samples with lower velocities. Therefore, the volume of the X-stick is low. I tried using the high velocity (200 - 360) X-stick files, whose volume are higher, and assuming that simply  by telling dsoundtool on the velocity map that those were low velocity (-100 - 200) it'd work, but it doesn't because you can't fool dsoundtool, and as its author wrote:

Quote from: Louis on March 08, 2012, 05:31:14 PM
DSoundTool assigns a velocity based on the maximum volume that can be found in the sample.

So if you use (as I did) the X-stick samples with the higher velocities, the program will locate the sample among the others of similar volume, so you end up having a files with mixed samples of X-stick with Rimshots.

But if you use the wav files of lower volume (and velocity) for the X-stick, it'll work as you ask.

On the other hand, Jman wrote a while ago:

Quote from: Jman on May 27, 2017, 05:09:01 PM
Just FYI, there is one Velocity switching Rimshot/Cross Stick type Rim sound in the 2Box module. It is in the Snare/Cross Stick folder. The name is Cross Shot 1. So if you assign that as the rim for one of your snare drums you can test that 2Box velocity switching sound. J

Jman

For those using SDSE there is a setting to choose for building the Velocity Switching snare X-stick/Rimshot when you are building DSND's. Just thought I would mention that since this thread goes back to times prior to all the latest features in SDSE. J
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

edcito

Quote from: p929 on August 12, 2018, 05:22:23 PM
I was looking at this. Unfortunately, it seems there isn't a simple way to achieve it. This is what I found:
Wow, very detailed explanation thanks. Well I think I just get a bt-1 and split another tom haha.

Quote from: Jman on August 12, 2018, 05:46:02 PM
For those using SDSE there is a setting to choose for building the Velocity Switching snare X-stick/Rimshot when you are building DSND's. Just thought I would mention that since this thread goes back to times prior to all the latest features in SDSE. J

Yeah, I used that and works perfectly with the snares from SD3 but I wanted to do the same with the drumit 3 stock 3 zone snares since I don't use a yamaha 3 zone pad.