News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Cymbals like Zildjian's GEN16 but with trigger!!!

Started by WeastpaK, November 28, 2013, 04:43:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WeastpaK

The GEN16 Cymbals feels very good to play. And the acoustic sound is nice and quiet (quiet enough for most situations).
But the sound of the DCP (Digital Cymbal Processor) is terrible  :o

Drummers don't need more rubber pads!

Drummers need Cymbals!!!  :rock:

Something like GEN16 with trigger... :animal:

Jman

Quote from: WeastpaK on November 28, 2013, 04:43:31 PM
The GEN16 Cymbals feels very good to play. And the acoustic sound is nice and quiet (quiet enough for most situations).
But the sound of the DCP (Digital Cymbal Processor) is terrible  :o

Drummers don't need more rubber pads!

Drummers need Cymbals!!!  :rock:

Something like GEN16 with trigger... :animal:
I don't know about something "like" Gen16's but I do triggers that work on Gen16's  :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2yATZvd33A
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

Dänoh

Yes!
I hear you!  ;)

I think 'Fulrmr' has attached piezo-triggers to his Gen16 cymbals! :rock:

digitalDrummer

I did that a while ago, using Jman's kit, and it works well. But you should be aware that the new DS pickups make all the difference to the Gen16s.

Greg the groove

I dont want to sound like a debbie downer, but even with the new Direct Source pickups, they still sound like crap. The only thing they did better was stop the feedback in live situations. A Zildjian rep on another forum, claims that there goal is to make this Direct Source pickup act as a trigger via midi to be able to hookup to any drum module to trigger sounds. Dont know if that will ever happen, but if it does, it could be a game changer.

digitalDrummer

Quote from: Greg the groove on November 29, 2013, 04:00:29 AM
A Zildjian rep on another forum, claims that there goal is to make this Direct Source pickup act as a trigger via midi to be able to hookup to any drum module to trigger sounds. Dont know if that will ever happen, but if it does, it could be a game changer.
Hey "Debbie", I think that's quite a liberal interpretation of Julia's position. I think Zildjian is throwing a lot into making these work as amplified acoustic cymbals.
Personally, I think the Gen16 AEs are perfectly gigable with the new DS sensors and the new beefed up presets - but they do need a capable amp up front.

WeastpaK

Dear 2Box Developer,

please read this topic and all the experiences of drummers with the GEN16.
And then...:

We want Cymbals (similar to GEN16) with triggers (3Zones (Hihat too) and chokeable)  for the half price of the GEN16... and  -very, very important- they have to shine in orange!!!!  ;) ;D

We are waiting....

ciao WeastpaK

Dänoh

Quote from: WeastpaK on November 29, 2013, 10:57:34 AM
We want Cymbals (similar to GEN16) with triggers (3Zones (Hihat too) and chokeable)  for the half price of the GEN16... and  -very, very important- they have to shine in orange!!!!  ;) ;D

Simple:

&

=

Problem solved!   8)

:P ;)

WeastpaK

fulrmr

Quote from: digitalDrummer on November 29, 2013, 06:49:33 AM
Hey "Debbie", I think that's quite a liberal interpretation of Julia's position. I think Zildjian is throwing a lot into making these work as amplified acoustic cymbals.
Personally, I think the Gen16 AEs are perfectly gigable with the new DS sensors and the new beefed up presets - but they do need a capable amp up front.

Have to agree mostly with Allan here "Debbie"  ;)Last time I talked to Julia...she said they had no intention of developing these into "triggers" for midi in the near future...possibly never at all. I have converted built my own triggers and have some of Jerry's too...both work superbly if one wants to go that route....however......you just need to spend a considerable amount of time with the Access Tool to carve out the tones that fit "your" ears. The hats are great...rides are a bit frustrating for me as I have not been able to get a good bell and bow with the same setting...one or the other ..yes..just not both. Now the crashes have yet to wow me...but some have found settings that they are using in a live mix all the time. I trigger the 2Box with conversions for my crash tones.....works great.  :) No matter what...these make great additions to your cymbal array...even if you only use them as FX.

Greg the groove

I remember Julia clearly saying last year that they would be working on eventually using Gen16 DS to be converted into midi signals to be used in drum modules as triggers. Maybe I misread or was just confused but that would be real cool I still think.

I like the reduced acoustic volume, the feel of metal cymbals, the look, the lights. I think its a perfect product to be able to make a legit cymbal pad trigger and be sold that way.

Dänoh

Dear Mrs. Downer,  :P

if they made the DS pickups into triggers, that would work. At least, if you could live with a single-zone crash...

But how would you go about a multizone cymbal? This doesn't sound like it is achievable easily; unless you deaden the whole cymbal, as to not pick up ....   'interfere vibrations' (?) (zone crosstalk ?)

I mean, how could you separate bell, bow and edge zones on an acoustic ride-cymbal trigger...

Greg the groove

Wow, I better not ever use the term Debbie Downer again around here! LOL!

hemiboy

Talk to Jman on this and v drum forum. He knows all anybody will know about cymbal triggers or any other pad triggers on this or any other forum and he will help you with any and all questions or even problems! Good Luck