Copy existing stock kit and then add different sounds to some of the triggers

Started by AndyMo, November 28, 2013, 03:44:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyMo

Hi,

Sorry, I'm sure this has probably been covered elsewhere but my searches must have been too general.

I have two questions really.

1)   How do I go about copying one of the built-in 2box kits so I can use the kit as a basis for a new kit?

2)   Once I have a new kit (copy), can I import a .wav file and assign it to the rim of one of the toms on the copied kit? Can I assign a .wav file or do I need to convert to a 2box format?

I'm not sure on the best approach â€" whether to start a new folder/area for user kits or whether to modify the default kits. I plan to create a few variants that I can step through when playing live, so perhaps a new user kits area is the best approach?

Once again, sorry if this is covered elsewhere. I’m relatively new to the forum and still trying to get up to speed.

Thanks for your help!

Andy

Jman

Quote from: AndyMo on November 28, 2013, 03:44:39 PM
Hi,

Sorry, I'm sure this has probably been covered elsewhere but my searches must have been too general.

I have two questions really.

1)   How do I go about copying one of the built-in 2box kits so I can use the kit as a basis for a new kit?

2)   Once I have a new kit (copy), can I import a .wav file and assign it to the rim of one of the toms on the copied kit? Can I assign a .wav file or do I need to convert to a 2box format?

I'm not sure on the best approach â€" whether to start a new folder/area for user kits or whether to modify the default kits. I plan to create a few variants that I can step through when playing live, so perhaps a new user kits area is the best approach?

Once again, sorry if this is covered elsewhere. I’m relatively new to the forum and still trying to get up to speed.

Thanks for your help!

Andy
You need to download the 2Box Editor and the manual for that ... if you haven't done that yet. It is available for free download on the 2Box website. You can export any of the kits in your module to a spot beyond the first 100 (or anywhere on your computer you choose for that matter) then tweak/modify those kits. That is how I would suggest doing it. That way you still have the original kit with original configuration and a copy to modify. The instructions for the 2Box Editor explain how to create dsnds from Wav files. If you want to create instruments and kits for the 2Box module from VST software I would suggest getting SDSE.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

AndyMo

Hi Jman

Thanks again for your advice!

Altough I had already installed the editor and had taken a look at the manual, your reply and guidance gave me the confidence/direction I needed. Last night I exported a standard kit, tweaked it to my needs, and additionally loaded in a couple of samples (for a cover the band are working on) and assigned these to the new kit.

I plan to create some variants so I have the patches I need for our next gig.

Spot on! Thank you!  :D

BTW, a related question... is it possible to modify the user kits using the kit editor? It didn't appear possible to modify the kit I created (or the Synth kits I loaded recently) within the kit editor s/w; I tweaked them on the module. Probably user error - so I thought I'd ask :)

Cheers!
Andy

Jman

Quote from: AndyMo on November 29, 2013, 11:28:27 AM
Hi Jman

Thanks again for your advice!

Altough I had already installed the editor and had taken a look at the manual, your reply and guidance gave me the confidence/direction I needed. Last night I exported a standard kit, tweaked it to my needs, and additionally loaded in a couple of samples (for a cover the band are working on) and assigned these to the new kit.

I plan to create some variants so I have the patches I need for our next gig.

Spot on! Thank you!  :D

BTW, a related question... is it possible to modify the user kits using the kit editor? It didn't appear possible to modify the kit I created (or the Synth kits I loaded recently) within the kit editor s/w; I tweaked them on the module. Probably user error - so I thought I'd ask :)

Cheers!
Andy
glad if it helped..... Yes you can edit any of the user kits. Change instruments in them, tune, balance, volume .... Not sure what synth kits you mean, but I loaded a few synth kits and machine kits and they were able to be edited and saved. The tuning on the synth loop .dsnds I noticed changed tempo on the loop..... I don't play much with the synth or loop kits, so I learned something new...

AndyMo

Thanks Jman. How do you open the user kits in the editor s/w?  I tried opening the specific kit file for the kit I created last night (based on an exported kit)  and one of the Synth kits (a kit file for one of the Synth kits I downloaded from the 2box site) but didn't seem to have any success. As I say, no doubt it was user error!  :o

Thanks!
Andy

Jman

Quote from: AndyMo on November 29, 2013, 03:00:42 PM
Thanks Jman. How do you open the user kits in the editor s/w?  I tried opening the specific kit file for the kit I created last night (based on an exported kit)  and one of the Synth kits (a kit file for one of the Synth kits I downloaded from the 2box site) but didn't seem to have any success. As I say, no doubt it was user error!  :o

Thanks!
Andy
You use import single kit. Import that kit to one of the User kit locations do the editing you want and either save it to that user spot (which will replace the user kit) or export it again and that will save the changes. If you just want to look at or listen to a kit that is not in the user kits, import it to a user spot .... check it out and just close the editor without saving. You can import kits to user positions as much as you want just to check things out and as long as you don't Save when you close the editor your module will remain the same.

It is good to backup your entire module, saving everything to your computer. That way if you ever end up with changes you don't like you have a backup easily available.

With a module like mine with the 32GB extender mod. I actually take the card from the module, put in in my PC card reader and do changes with the Editor from there. I can also open up the editor and go to any of the backups I have made on my computer and open one of those in the editor listen, make changes, save, etc. The editor is versatile in that way, you can do more than just access a module that is plugged into the computer via USB.

AndyMo

Hi Jman,

Ah, I see. I tried the import option and it prompted me to import to one of the stock kit locations. I'm not quite sure how to import to a user kit location - but I'll take another look.

Once again - thanks for your help!  :)

Thanks!
Andy