News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Snare stand quality

Started by b, December 24, 2009, 11:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Remi

How where the bars placed, and how are they placed now? (any images)
I thought there is only one way to assamble the snare stand.

Dr.Wu

i am sure i mounted the snarestand in the correct way and find it very unstable too.
Not only do i need to tighten all the screws at least once every session but the whole pad moves down after an hour or so of playing and needs to be raised again to the correct height.
I finally gave up and ordered a regular snarestand. Cost 25 euro and works a 1000 times better.

boekhour

Have to agree. Its the weakest part of the rack. When you tightend the snare it moves a bit up and becomes losse from the 2 rubber parts on the player-site, at the front. Just makes those rubber parts bigger, higher and the problem is solved. The quick solution is to bend the alu rod a bit upwards

The other problem is that the screw in the middle becomes a bit lose and you can turn the snare clockwise or anticlockwise. You have to tighten the screw really hard.

Althought this is when I´m paying attention to it and screwing around with the thing. When I´m playing the snare I didn´t notice it, or it didn´t bother me because it stays in the right position. I do not suffer from a snare moving downwards to the ground.

Baby Samus

Hopefully without offending anyone, I would like to ask 'what level of hardware do people expect from a package that is so cheap in the first place, or indeed any packaged extras?' I paid the same price as a TD-9 for the 2Box, which is crazy because the 2Box is so much better.  Even if you took away the snare stand attachment and both pedals, I would still have paid around that figure - as a TD-12 costs £2600 here!

But here's my point - if you want good hardware, you need to pay for it seperately.  I bought my crome Tama Iron Cobra pedal because SHOCK it was better than what came with my old kit.  I know it is a quality pedal that will last for years unlike something that comes boxed in, and I had to pay for it.  I bought a really nice throne which is so much more comfortable, supportive and sturdy than what came with another old kit - I had to pay for that too.  Same as with say for example hi-fi cables - if you want quality sound you don't use the cables that came in the box!  If you are a home user/hobbyist then what is supplied with the 2box is good enough.  If not you pay a premium to replace it.

The rack is perfectly stable though - I have played on many different racks from many companies and this one is just fine.  No movement at all.

Quote from: roel on December 28, 2009, 12:39:46 PM
iam sorry puttenvr but thats my experience with the set.

Roel may I ask how much you have played a 2Box kit and whether you own one?

puttenvr

Correct

Although I can't deny some of the 2box problems ...

- 2Box needs some time and must have a chance to improve things. Perhaps this is also the reason why we still don't see large shipments. Perhaps the guys just work on a better production behind the scenes. But i would be wise and trusting to publish about that
- other companies (like Roland) had major problems as well when they came out. The Roland TD-10 module had serious noise, a unstable power and the rack system was very bad. Not to talk about the sounds. And realize Roland had the DDR-30, TD-5, TD-7 and several modules, drumcomputers before, so it wasn't a real fresh company. Through the years the Roland hardware and playability became better.
- I wonder how hard/intense some people bang on their drums. Some people even destroy Sonor hardware and Zildjian Z cymbals

But again: some 2Box things need to be imrpoved. No discussion about that

Baby Samus

Quote from: puttenvr on January 02, 2010, 12:36:18 PM

- I wonder how hard/intense some people bang on their drums. Some people even destroy Sonor hardware and Zildjian Z cymbals

But again: some 2Box things need to be imrpoved. No discussion about that

I agree I think many people hit the drums far too hard when there is no need to do so.  You have an e-kit which is amplified so its not like you need to play hard on it like a real kit in a practise room, fighting to be heard over guitars etc.

Also agree with you puttenvr, there are problems but I suppose this is natural.  My brother got a Korg Oasys synth recently which cost him around £3500 second hand in studio condition (£5000 new), and he has made some complaints to me about the build quality of the case, some buttons and sliders - just shows you that no matter how much you pay for a boxed product there is usually something that can be complained about, a manufacturing issue or something that you personally don't like.  We're lucky, as we can swap alternative hardware in if we want to - he is stuck with what he has and cannot change it (although he loves it dearly like a child  ;D)

The thing I find is that the 2Box pads, rack, module, trigging, sounds, open O/S are all brilliant and if any of those things were poor then it would be a major issue - the issues we have (snare/hi-hat stand quality etc) can be easily fixed by using other hardware.  And I am sure that 2Box will further refine the package and manufacturing process so that the product matures and improves for later buyers.

We early adopters must take it on the chin, and remember that no product is perfect, no matter how accomplished or expensive.

Remi

2Box has a fair price.
It sounds cheap when comparing it with other brands.
But are these expensive brands not overpriced?

puttenvr

wbrs

Absolutly. From what I see 2box is the only one IMO (even though there are still problems) offering high quality at a fair price.

Steve

It's all about the sound yup - The snare stand while a good conceptual thought is a poor long term design and was rushed through with quick testing I suspect. Mine was good for a week and is deteriorating with increased flexability. Gibraltar and other racks are all similar, re-inveting the wheel for something unique is understandable but not practical. A basket with a long single post clamped on would work and also not need the bar post as the basket base could provide the support.  If your a real light player mostly at home the snare mount would work but if your an emotional player that likes to hit the snare a bit a regular snare stand will be necessary. The rest of the rack seems highly adaquate - the sounds are so superior it makes the snare stand only a minor fustration for me. Putting the 2box brushed bars on chrome legs looks a little off to me I may dig out my ddrum3 gibraltar rack and see what fits.

orly

The snare stand seems to be really shaky. Do you think it's a setup problem ?

HM

Quote from: orly on May 18, 2010, 05:06:52 PM
The snare stand seems to be really shaky. Do you think it's a setup problem ?
I chose to use a separate stand myself, but at least in my kit, the 2box snare stand was definitely not as shaky as in this video.

puttenvr

And the sounds aren't that bad as in this vid either

rythm

I´ve had no problems with the hardware so far (a month of practise and gigging)  :rock: