News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Video of Different VST drum kits on 2Box

Started by Greg the groove, November 21, 2013, 05:54:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg the groove

Hey all, made a quick video of three different VST drum kits played on the 2Box module using a Jobeky Kit.

DW Collectors Series, Tama Bubinga, Gretsch Natural Maple

The kits sound really nice! Hope you like them!

http://youtu.be/YkT1KmoMkyg

Jman

The drums are sounding good Greg! Looks like you have the response dialed in pretty well on the triggering too. J
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

milojko

edcito

Greg the groove

Sounds are coming from various sources. Superior drummer, BFD and AD.

Thanks J! yea I spent some time working with the thresholds etc...Changing the snare to a 10" pad and really tightening the mesh head worked wonders with the double triggering.

Greg the groove

Here is Part 2, featuring Neil Peart's Snakes & Arrows Kit and Ludwig Stainless Steel and Psychedelic Red Kit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUQEcDaYbuY&feature=share&list=UUashphriGzvxHFmds-0pEzg

Poonicorn

Hey man, sounds and looks great.  I have a couple Q's if ya don't mind.

Are you triggering those sounds, or did you convert and load directly onto the module?  Assuming you put them on the module, how difficult was it to get them from their original form to a dynamic playable sample?  Considering doing something like this real soon if possible.

What's your setup like?  Are you also running a td-30?  Curios about your ride and hi/hat.  Was under the impression that the Roland ride didn't play nice with 2box and the hats are certainly not stock.

Last question, what's the average total size of a converted kit like this?  I'm doing the SD mod soon, wondering how many of these kits I can squeeze into the 32.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Jman

Quote from: Poonicorn on November 22, 2013, 03:51:33 AM
  Assuming you put them on the module, how difficult was it to get them from their original form to a dynamic playable sample?  Considering doing something like this real soon if possible.

Not to step on Greg's thread, but kits like this converted into dsnds with SDSE ..... take next to no work to setup. You just load the VST, one or 2 clicks .... done....... dynamic, high quality, mult-layered 2Box VST kits with the instruments and kits already named and ready to load in the module. You then just put the SD card into a card reader on your computer and drag n drop the new kit folder onto the card.

Greg the groove

Yea just as Jman said, using the software SDSE gets them on the module super quick and easy. I got the 32 GB mod from Jman and he does a great job at sending you all the available 2box kits online that arent on the module originally and the newest OS and your good to go by following the steps. I was kinda intimadated at first cause Im not really a DIY kind of guy but its super easy! Contact him to get the SD extender kit.

The sounds are high quality and do take up space but 32GB cards are plenty of room and with the mod with the SD slot on the side of the module, its as easy as switching out different SD cards!

Poonicorn

Excellent thanks for the responses!  Still waiting on that hi hat ride setup detail though ;)

I just emailed jman, have my finger on the trigger here for the card mod.  What you have there really is what I'm looking for, I'm glad to hear it was mostly painless.

I've asked this before but since my tapatalk hates me and I've misplaced my thread in vdrums, I'm going to ask while I have the 2 best people right now in front of me.

You say you've used vst from multiple sources, that first dw kit sounded really natural and live on the first video.  I'd like to know which library/vst program you'd say was the most noob friendly for the conversions, orif you're willing to share where some of those kits come from maybe ill just buy that haha.

Thanks guys

Jman

Quote from: Poonicorn on November 22, 2013, 06:01:07 AM
I've asked this before but since my tapatalk hates me and I've misplaced my thread in vdrums, I'm going to ask while I have the 2 best people right now in front of me.

You say you've used vst from multiple sources, that first dw kit sounded really natural and live on the first video.  I'd like to know which library/vst program you'd say was the most noob friendly for the conversions, orif you're willing to share where some of those kits come from maybe ill just buy that haha.

Thanks guys

Since I have been pioneering in this VST to 2Box dsnd conversion area from the begininning and have beta tested for SDSE since Lustar first came out with that I'll give you a little input.
Any of the VSTs that are supported in SDSE are very simple to use for this. You simply load the VST and the kit you want to convert, load SDSE and do a couple clicks and your done. Lustar has already adjusted some of the important features in each VST so that it will work plug n play to get nice, dynamic dsnds. You can go to the VST instruments and do things like pan them differently .... or pan them center (I do this on toms, Ride, HH ... for example and then I prefer to set the pan in the module or mixer). You can also pick a Preset effect from the VST to do different variations, like Big Room, or Rock, or Jazz .... etc. So, you can actually take the same kit from the same VST and make many dif versions if you like. But it all is actually very simple and fast. Beyond that the door is wide open if you want to tinker and create. I have gotten pretty good at using some of the mixer capabilities in the VST programs ... it is like having a studio in a box, skies the limit ..... But again, it isn't necessary to do all that to get started making some killer kits for the 2Box module .... right out of the defaults these VST programs put out great results.

If you haven't done it yet, pickup SDSE to begin with and the Sennheiser free DrumMica download. You can build your first full kit of dsnds from that. Another inexpensive way to go is the Superior Drummer EZ Drummer line. You can buy EZ Drummer .... or just bite the bullet and buy Superior Drummer 2.0 as all the Superior Drummer kits and the EZX kits work with it ... There are a couple beautiful Bubinga kits and a Ludwig Stainless Steel kit in EZX Metal Machine (I recognize the Bubinga kit and Ludwig Stainless kit in Gregs demo) and that expansion can be bought for about $39.

Greg the groove

Sorry, forgot about the ride and hi hat. The hi hat I still use my td30 for because I could never get the hi hat from 2box to work correctly. It was painful. I do like the hi hat samples and maybe in the future I will try that manfred HH conversion box to try with the VH13.

The Roland ride 15CYR works perfectly but you lose a zone. I use it for bell and bow on the 2box with no issues at all. Just set it up as a CYCUP in the module trigger settings. No choke though.

As for the rest, JMan has been on top of the VST conversions now for a long time and I call him the resident VST Jedi master! LOL. I know with the SDSE software they have most of the major companies compatible and it works and converts like a charm. If you ask my personal opinion. I think the best recorded VST pack is Evil Drums by Platinum Samples. I like pretty much all the superior Drummer packs.

Poonicorn

Thanks for that man, I figured the hats were a pipe dream.  Not feeling the stock 2box cymbal as a ride, maybe I'll try a Roland like you if it triggers like a Roland lol!

Back to topic.  Been obsessed tonight and reading like a machine.   Seem I have a bit better of an understanding of things so my questions should be less horrible.

I was looking at the toontrack stuff and trying to figure out the real world differences between EZ and SD2.  Seems I could get EZ plus that metal machine pack with those samples jman mentioned for around $120 together which seems decent.  Much more for SD2 alone.  I also understand that SD is more raw with more true options but maybe slightly more work required in editing compared to EZ, that true?  If I go the EZ route over the SD route will I regret it?  Do all the sample files have enough velocity layers built in to be ekit friendly, or will there be some that work better then ever?

Secondly it mentions they require a host program like protools/reaper, but for the purpose of simply converting to 2box, is this still needed?  And if so, is reaper the best or is there a freeware solution for windows 7 that would do the trick?

Bang for the buck is important, so all in for $200 giving me jmans mod, EZ + EZX metal machine is very tempting and affordable as a starting place.  If you think SD and something like SD evil drums is a better investment I'd have to reconsider.

Off to bed.  Thanks guys be back tomorrow

Jman

Quote from: Poonicorn on November 22, 2013, 09:07:43 AM
I was looking at the toontrack stuff and trying to figure out the real world differences between EZ and SD2.  Seems I could get EZ plus that metal machine pack with those samples jman mentioned for around $120 together which seems decent.  Much more for SD2 alone.  I also understand that SD is more raw with more true options but maybe slightly more work required in editing compared to EZ, that true?  If I go the EZ route over the SD route will I regret it?  Do all the sample files have enough velocity layers built in to be ekit friendly, or will there be some that work better then ever?

Secondly it mentions they require a host program like protools/reaper, but for the purpose of simply converting to 2box, is this still needed?  And if so, is reaper the best or is there a freeware solution for windows 7 that would do the trick?

Bang for the buck is important, so all in for $200 giving me jmans mod, EZ + EZX metal machine is very tempting and affordable as a starting place.  If you think SD and something like SD evil drums is a better investment I'd have to reconsider.

Off to bed.  Thanks guys be back tomorrow
First if you went the EZX + Metal Machine route you can get it for $99 from Audio Deluxe or JRRShop and also on Ebay
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313&_nkw=EZ+Drummer+Metal+Machine&_sacat=0&_from=R40
You can always upgrade to SD2
Yes, plenty of layers to created nice dsnds with EZX. SD2 is better of course and if it is "harder" it is only because there are lots of good features..... but you just need to decide what is best for you.
While the normal price you might see is $79 for an EZX add on pack ... several times during the year there are specials and those packs sell for $39 or less. I wouldn't want to push any of the VSTs though, they all have their own merit and dif people prefer dif ones. Personally SD2 and Metal Foundry, Evil Drums are a couple of my favorites and BFD2 also .... there are kits from both SD2 and BFD2 that are my favs.... other people have different favorites. Whatever you start with, chances are you will be tempted to add something else later ...... at least that is how this works for me.  :)
SDSE uses Reaper, and the free/evaluation copy is included in the download.