News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

EQing each drum SEPERATELY?

Started by Greg the groove, November 21, 2013, 05:15:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg the groove

Hi all, quick question. In reading the manual about EQing the kit pieces, it seems as if Im correct, you CANNOT EQ each drum piece separately? Only choose if that drum piece is routed to the EQ (EQ+) or not (EQ-)?

I wanted to be able to EQ the kick differently from the snare and the toms etc... Are you able to do this? Because if you are, it seems that lets say I start with the kick, whatever EQ values I change it to, remain the same when I go to EQ the snare. The wording in the manual seems to me that you can change the EQ to whatever you want and then choose what drums will be routed to that overall EQ? If it is like that, that is kind of a bummer. You should be able to EQ EACH drum piece on its own, just like you can change the volume, decay etc...

espen

No, you cannot eq them separately. It's definitely a weakness. A compression for each kit piece (or even for the whole kit) would be great too. And reverb...
I have discovered that there is some low-mid range muddiness and/or boxiness in the module's sound processing. So, I decreased 3-6 dB from 400-500 Hz area and I think the samples sound better to my ears at least. Even the vst sounds I've made are better that way IMO. Have any of you noticed the same thing?

Greg the groove

That really sucks that they made it that way. even if you can route each separate drum in and out of EQ, whats the point when you can only EQ it ONCE? Kicks and snares and toms all need different EQing in the studio in the real world so it really makes no sense at all they did it this way.

I haven't really messed around with the VST sounds. I add some low end here and there to the kick and snare to beef it up if need be and some top end to get a crisp snare crack.

Greg the groove

Jman

Quote from: teletom007 on November 22, 2013, 12:24:01 PM
Hy,
you can do it.
Pleas look at my post on the german site.   http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php?topic=1707.0
tom

ich habe mein drumit5 folgendermasen konfiguriert:
Basdrum - Bus1- Out1
Snare - Bus2 - Out2
HH - Bus3 - Out 3
Toms - Bus4 -Out4
CYM - Bus5 - Out5

mit den 5 Ausgängen gehe ich auf meinen Presonus 16.4.2. Ich bin einfach nie mit dem Sound zufrieden gewesen, da über Kopfhörer direkt am drumit5 das Drumsetz richtig gut klingt, über den Mixer aber ein völlig anderer Sound aus der Pa kommt. Das das nie gleich sein kann ist mir schon klar, aber so ein großer Unterschied??
Nun habe ich das Problem lokalisiert und würde gerne wissen ob das nur bei meinem Teil so ist.
Im Menü "KIT-Vol" kann man den 3-Band EQ einschalten, aber nur wenn im Menü "Kit-EQ" beim Parameter "Bus" Drum eingestellt ist. Somit kann man zB. die Snare bei 5kHz anheben, die Bässe absenken, das Ergebniss hört man auf dem Kopfhörerausgang.
Nun mein Problem. Auf den Ausgängen Out1 bis Out6 wirken diese Einstellungen nicht!!! Was ist den das für ein Schwachsinn!!
Somit habe ich natürlich einen ganz anderen Sound auf dem Mischer als das was ich über Kopfhörer erarbeitet habe.

Falls das je einer lesen sollte:

Könnte vielleicht ein Drumit5-Kollege bei sich schauen ob das wirklich so ist. Ich kann mir einfach nicht vorstellen was das für einen Sinn machen sollte.

tom
Us Americans need an English translation .... we only speak English (or Spanglish in California  ;D)
Dänoh, if you read this we need your translating skills!
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

fulrmr

Quote from: Jman on November 24, 2013, 09:44:14 PM
Us Americans need an English translation .... we only speak English (or Spanglish in California  ;D)
Dänoh, if you read this we need your translating skills!

from google translate:

have configured my drumit5 folgendermasen :
Basdrum - Bus1 -Out1
Snare - Bus2 - Out 2
HH - Bus3 - Out 3
Toms - BUS4 - Out4
CYM - BUS5 - Out5

with the 5 outputs I go to my Presonus 16.4.2 . I'm just never been satisfied with the sound , as through headphones directly on drumit5 the drum set sounds really good , but a completely different sound comes from the Pa through the mixer. This can never be the same is already clear to me , but such a big difference ?
Now I have located the problem and would like to know if this is just on my part so .
In the " KIT- Vol" menu you can turn on the 3-band EQ , but only if set " Kit EQ " at the "Bus " Drum in the menu. Thus you can eg . the snare at 5kHz raise , lower the bass, the result can be heard on the headphone output.
Now my problem . On the outputs Out1 to Out6 these settings have no effect ! What is the kind of a bullshit !
So of course I have a very different sound on the mixer than what I have worked through headphones.

If that should ever read a :

Might there be a Drumit5 colleague look at yourself whether this is really so . I can not imagine what would do that for me a sense simple.

Dänoh

[I'll give it a shot: ]

"I've configured my drumit5 in the following way:
Basdrum - Bus1- Out1
Snare - Bus2 - Out2
HH - Bus3 - Out 3
Toms - Bus4 -Out4
CYM - Bus5 - Out5

These 5 outputs I feed directly into my Presonus 16.4.2. I've just never been satisfied with the sound, the kit sounds very good directly out of the drumit5's headphone output, but the sound is completely different coming out of the PA-speakers from the mixing board.

I acknowledge that it is never going to sound totally equal, but such a big difference???
Now I have the problem localized, and I'd like to know, if this is only with *my* module...

You can activate the 3-Band EQ in the "KIT-Vol" menu, but only if the parameter "Bus" is set to 'Drum' in the "Kit-EQ" menu. By doing this, you can boost the snare at 5kHz and roll-off the lows, for example, and you'll hear the result via the Phones-Out.

Onto my actual problem:
These settings have no effect on the outputs 'Out1' through 'Out6'!!! What kind of nonsense is that!! Needless to say, that way I have a completely different sound on the mixing board, than what I had worked out using headphones.

In case someone ever reads this:

Could a fellow Drumit5 colleague check maybe, whether this is actually true? I have simply no idea, what kind of sense this is ought to make.

Tom"

Jman

Dänoh

So is this a routing problem?

He (Tom) basically can't rout the EQ to affect the Main-Outs instead of (or together with) the Headphone output?

Jman

Quote from: Dänoh on November 24, 2013, 10:57:12 PM
So is this a routing problem?

He (Tom) basically can't rout the EQ to affect the Main-Outs instead of (or together with) the Headphone output?
The Direct Outs are just that Direct, so no EQ from the module EQ section is carried on those. You could do a mix similar the Headphone mix through the Main Outs 1/2 though.

I use all Direct Outs, including turning my Headphone outs into Direct Outs 7/8. I run all into a mixer (multiple sound modules through the mixer). I don't have Presonus, but for me I would rather run the outs this way and do any EQ, Compression, Effects, etc. on the individual channels either through my mixer or my DAW. For one thing I have much higher quality plugins for EQ, Compression and Effects than anything you will have in a stand alone drum module.

Dänoh

I have just forwarded your answer to the OP of this question, forum-user 'teletom' - I hope that's okay with you!

teletom007

Dänoh,
thats right, hope it will help.

tom

Dänoh

Quote from: teletom007 on November 25, 2013, 06:35:48 AM
Dänoh,
thats right, hope it will help.

tom

Dankeschön Tom!

See if Jman's suggestions work out for you! / Probier' ob Jman's Vorschläge dich weiterbringen können!

HTH

Hockeylifer

Nice bit of work to all three of you, Jman, Tom and Dänoh.  What an awesome community this is!