Use Almost ANY E Hi Hat or Ecymbal with 2Box / Stealth HH Stand Conversion Kit

Started by Jman, November 13, 2013, 05:18:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg the groove

Quote from: Jman on November 24, 2013, 03:06:35 AM
Guys, relax ..... when I sell these I also give a step by step picture installation guide.... it really isn't complicated.

LMAO! I literally laughed out loud when I read this! What can I say? I'm a DIY dummy! :)

Jman

Quote from: Greg the groove on November 24, 2013, 03:14:40 AM
LMAO! I literally laughed out loud when I read this! What can I say? I'm a DIY dummy! :)

No offense intended my friend  :) ;)   But I really do try to build all my Stealth conversion kits dummy proof, so even DIY dummies are safe ;D
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

Dänoh

Quote from: Jman on November 24, 2013, 03:08:57 AM
The Kohm dial .... is not an input it is simply an adjuster that makes it possible to adjust how "hot" of a signal is sent from the HH cymbal. I added this because some eCymbals are "hotter" than others. Again, all the instructions are included. The Kohm adjustment is really only necessary if your cymbal peaks out the velocity meter even if the sensitivity is set to 0 in the module. 0 is no resistance, 50 is 50Kohm resistance ..... so you have a range between 0 and 50 Kohms of resistance that can be used. It is the type of adjustment if you even need it, it is only necessary to set once for a particular cymbal.

Thanks again Jerry!

Actually, my question was due to failing to recognize the potentiometer-dial!  ::)   ....I thought I was looking at another jack-plug!!!   :o  Hehehe!

And then I started to get confused, thinking 'Do magnets have resistance values?'   ;D

Sometimes I can be briliant! DOH!  ;D :rock:

Jman

It looks like I was wrong about the FD-8 not having enough space to allow ample travel of the pedal with my HH conversion box. I received a pic of the box under an FD-8 pedal board. It looks like it should work fine. He will be testing this and I will post the results. J

Update: Yes it works great under the FD-8.
So add this with the FD-7 as two Roland pedals that could be used. That means those that already have one of the Roland pedals and just want to use that with my 2Box controller kit plus almost any brand HH cymbal or Ecymbal can do that. Or use the same pedal and switch between 2Box and Roland module if you have both. Simply plug into the Stealth control box and cymbal for the 2Box module, or plug into the Roland pedal input for the Roland module.
FD8wHHbox-Copy_zpsb89ebdf7 by Jman Stealth, on Flickr

Dänoh

stickcharmer

Are you guys finding that you have better control over the hi-hats? What I mean is, do they seem to react better/more realistically?

billgtx

Quote from: Jman on January 06, 2014, 07:44:48 PM
It looks like I was wrong about the FD-8 not having enough space to allow ample travel of the pedal with my HH conversion box. I received a pic of the box under an FD-8 pedal board. It looks like it should work fine. He will be testing this and I will post the results. J
I've got the HH conversion box installed, calibrated and working.  Here are a couple of pics...

As you can see the bottom of the FD8 foot plate has ridges but the outermost ridges have enough room to place the magnet.  I positioned the box also toward the edge of the base plate and faced the "x" as far forward as possible.

Jman

Cool, thanks for the update Bill, glad it works well with the FD-8 too!

HiHat

Hello all,

JMan,
I ordered the hi hat conversion kit quite a while ago and it's been sitting in it's packaging since early December  >:(      Apologies for not getting back to you.

All,
I can't believe I've not had time to try it out until today when I found a few minutes to dig out my old Roland FD-7. I don't have any pictures but the underside of the foot plate is virtually the same as the FD-8 in the post by "billgtx" so  I thought I would try a dry fit first before cleaning the controller and to check position .

I used some tape to stick the magnet in basically the same place as "billgtx" and then stuck the box with the "x" under the magnet which is roughly the same place as JMan had shown in his picture of the FD-7. I didn't expect it to work like that but it did  :)

I've had the module, hi-hat and cymbals for about a year now but after the initial tests I gave up on the hi-hat after having tried different stands and spring tensions etc and resorted to using the hi-hat sound from my SPD-20 which is not great. I only used the module on stage once as it meant having to carry the spd-20 as well.

With JMans box no such problems - just plugged in the cymbal (a Roland CY-5) and module and calibrated the hi-hat as normal. Initial impressions -  excellent and is smaller than I expected.  Within a few minutes I was up and playing rather than messing around with settings and spending ages trying to get a usable hi-hat function.

I've only used it for a few minutes playing single strokes, double stokes, edge, bow etc and got no unexpected open or closed sounds or double triggering. Very impressed so far. I noticed four distinct hi-hat sounds as I moved the pedal up and down - I'm assuming this is because the hi-hats only have four transitions between closed to open rather a limitation of JMans box. 

I was using the CY-5 as a crash cymbal and left it where it was which is one of the reasons why I didn't want to use a normal hi-hat stand or remote stand.  This combination of pedal and a pad on a cymbal stand allows me to put the hi-hat pad, or even the pedal for that matter, wherever I want whenever I want. 

I'll try to update again once I get a chance to set it up properly and used it in the normal position. I suspect expect it will work as well if not better once fixed properly. I didn't try with my practice hi-hat stand as it does not have a bottom plate on which to position the box

JMan,
I think it should be called the "ManBox" because you are "the man" :) You've also made me a happy man :)
Question for you also. Would it be possible to use two pads with this in different positions? Maybe by using a "y" splitter with "trs" connections each end.

Regards,
Hatul.

Jman

Quote from: HiHat on February 17, 2014, 11:13:33 PM
Hello all,

JMan,
I ordered the hi hat conversion kit quite a while ago and it's been sitting in it's packaging since early December  >:(      Apologies for not getting back to you.

All,
I can't believe I've not had time to try it out until today when I found a few minutes to dig out my old Roland FD-7. I don't have any pictures but the underside of the foot plate is virtually the same as the FD-8 in the post by "billgtx" so  I thought I would try a dry fit first before cleaning the controller and to check position .

I used some tape to stick the magnet in basically the same place as "billgtx" and then stuck the box with the "x" under the magnet which is roughly the same place as JMan had shown in his picture of the FD-7. I didn't expect it to work like that but it did  :)

I've had the module, hi-hat and cymbals for about a year now but after the initial tests I gave up on the hi-hat after having tried different stands and spring tensions etc and resorted to using the hi-hat sound from my SPD-20 which is not great. I only used the module on stage once as it meant having to carry the spd-20 as well.

With JMans box no such problems - just plugged in the cymbal (a Roland CY-5) and module and calibrated the hi-hat as normal. Initial impressions -  excellent and is smaller than I expected.  Within a few minutes I was up and playing rather than messing around with settings and spending ages trying to get a usable hi-hat function.

I've only used it for a few minutes playing single strokes, double stokes, edge, bow etc and got no unexpected open or closed sounds or double triggering. Very impressed so far. I noticed four distinct hi-hat sounds as I moved the pedal up and down - I'm assuming this is because the hi-hats only have four transitions between closed to open rather a limitation of JMans box. 

I was using the CY-5 as a crash cymbal and left it where it was which is one of the reasons why I didn't want to use a normal hi-hat stand or remote stand.  This combination of pedal and a pad on a cymbal stand allows me to put the hi-hat pad, or even the pedal for that matter, wherever I want whenever I want. 

I'll try to update again once I get a chance to set it up properly and used it in the normal position. I suspect expect it will work as well if not better once fixed properly. I didn't try with my practice hi-hat stand as it does not have a bottom plate on which to position the box

JMan,
I think it should be called the "ManBox" because you are "the man" :) You've also made me a happy man :)
Question for you also. Would it be possible to use two pads with this in different positions? Maybe by using a "y" splitter with "trs" connections each end.

Regards,
Hatul.
Thanks for the kudos Hatul, and the review. These do work quite well, I use one myself. And the answer to the last question is Yes. I control two HH cymbals from the same controller myself, my main moving HH stand/cymbals at my traditional HH spot and one stationary HH cymbal on the other side of my kit. You just need a simple 1/4" Headphone splitter like this plugged into the Cymbal side of the Stealth 2Box HH control box and a TRS cable to each HH cymbal: http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-35MM-1-4-PLUG-TO-2-x-JACK-SOCKET-HEADPHONE-SPLITTER-ADAPTER-STEREO-CABLE-LEAD-/370613642384?pt=UK_Computing_Sound_Vision_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item564a4b6490

Obviously you are going to get the exact same Hi Hat sounds on both HH cymbals as you are really only adding a "twin" trigger to the same HH input, but it is a nice option for having your HH available in 2 places on your kit.

Side Note: As far as the amount of transitions that can be detected. The controller is "continuous". The 2Box module itself can detect 10 transitions, but most Hi Hats have less (2Box or VST), typically Closed, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and full Open. That is for each Bow and Edge. Some VSTs have a couple more transitions than that ... like some SD2 Hi Hats have more. But generally the Clsd, 1, 2, 3, Full Open make nice Hi Hats. That is what all the BFD3 and Zildjian Dig. Vault hats have and those are pretty much my favorites.

Jman

I had an old 2Box Hi Hat stand, one of the very early models. Since for using my HH stand conversion kit it is best to use a stand with a bottom platform, I thought I would show just one idea of how to add a platform for the control box to a stand like this or many similar. In the pics below I did a very quick platform using a small piece of flat metal. I drilled out the hole a little larger in the sheet metal plate so the carpet cleat can go through the plate. And I put a double layer of Killer Red tape on the bottom of the plate. It would be very easy to make this even sturdier by simply drilling a couple small holes in the base of the HH stand where the metal plate sits and attaching it with a couple bolts, nuts, washers.
The stand and plate with 2 sided tape:
Btm pltfrm prts installed by Jman Stealth, on Flickr
Btm pltfrm w cntrl box back by Jman Stealth, on Flickr

Jman

And here are some more pics of what another customer did using my box under a 2Box Hi Hat stand. This was the dry run with everything just taped in place. Again it can be installed sturdier by simply attaching via bolts, nuts, washers to the bottom of the stand instead of tape if you prefer:

My Stealth 2Box HH stand conversion kit placed on carpet beneath a 2Box stand (before bottom plate):
Stealth2Boxconvboxunderstand_zpse0367e0b by Jman Stealth, on Flickr
Customer uses fiberboard cut to size beneath 2Box stand, simply attached with tape
Underside of heal section of 2box hihat pedal modification by Jman Stealth, on Flickr
Side view with fiberboard bottom and Stealth 2Box HH stand conversion kit:
2Bxstandfiberboardbtm_zps6f47387f by Jman Stealth, on Flickr
View from opposite side
DIYbottomHHplate_zps3268ba01 by Jman Stealth, on Flickr

Jungipad

Jman....how to buy one of those conversion hh kit??.... I'm almost giving up on 2box...frustrated with my hi hat....

Jman

Quote from: BuffaloMan on August 04, 2014, 06:27:22 PM
Jman....how to buy one of those conversion hh kit??.... I'm almost giving up on 2box...frustrated with my hi hat....
I sent you a PM. J

hemiboy

Hang in there , buffalo man , I have all Jman's stealth drum and cymbals al triggers inuding the hi hat conversion and they work flawlessly ! Your troubles with the hi hat are soon to be over . My hats work great now with his set up!