Use Almost ANY E Hi Hat or Ecymbal with 2Box / Stealth HH Stand Conversion Kit

Started by Jman, November 13, 2013, 05:18:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jman

I currently have stock on the Stealth 2Box Hi Hat stand conversion kits for converting a Hi Hat stand or other electronic HH Pedal/Controller into an electronic Hi Hat stand/controller or HH pedal/controller compatible with the 2Box module. With this kit you can use my own Stealth Hi Hat cymbals, or most any other brand electronic Hi Hat cymbal or Electronic cymbal that will mount on a standard Hi Hat stand as a moving Hi Hat system with the 2Box module. Or, if you prefer to use your current electronic HH pedal/controller and a stationary E cymbal with the 2Box module you can do that too.

This is a complete, simple to install kit that works with all or most all acoustic Hi Hat stands. Hi Hat stands that have a metal floor base are great as the control box can mount to the bottom of the base. But if you look at the last picture in this post and further in this thread you will see some simple DIY base plates attached to stands that do not have existing metal bases. The easy to install mounting plate kit takes about 5 minutes to add,and just a few bucks worth of parts required. I also sell that mounting plate kit if you don't have the parts available locally or prefer just to buy the plate kit that can ship together with your order.

So whatever stand you have the Stealth 2Box Hi Hat Stand Conversion kit will work.
The control box attaches with the Velcro, the magnet attaches to the pedal with industrial quality 2 sided peel n stick adhesive. The stand conversion takes a matter of minutes. Very easy to install.

Here's a list of some of the Ecymbals or E HH setups people are using with my Stealth 2Box HH Stand Conversion kit:
Roland Cy-5, Roland Cy-6, Roland Cy-8, Roland VH-11, Roland VH-12, Roland VH-13, Roland FD-7/FD-8 using stationary HH cymbal, ATV AD-H14 (with Drumit 3 or Drumit 5), Alesis ProX Hi Hat and other Alesis cymbals, Pintech E cymbals and E Hi Hats, Yamaha E Hi Hats and E cymbals (a minor mod may be necessary with Yamaha depending on model: http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php/topic,1010.0.html ) and of course my own Stealth "Real" Dual zone HH cymbal set. And that is not a complete list, just some of the well known brands.
The Price: $99 plus shippingAdd $7 to the price if you have a HH stand with no bottom plate and want to add the mounting plate hardware kit.
If interested: Send me a private message including your location and I will quote the shipping price.

DO NOT TRY USING THE ORIGINAL 2BOX HI HAT ALONG WITH MY CONTROL BOX! The original 2Box Hi Hat already has a control board and combining that with a second control board will at best cause inaccurate operation, and improper voltage to both my control box and the orig. 2Box hat board.

Stlth2BxHHconvkit_zpsf704ccf0 by Jman Stealth, on Flickr

Stlth2BxHHConvkitbtm_zpsd07382d6 by Jman Stealth, on Flickr

3 determine location for magnet by Jman Stealth, on Flickr

5 peel n stick magnet to the spot you marked by Jman Stealth, on Flickr

Controller on plate by Jman Stealth, on Flickr
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

HiHat

Hello JMan,

This looks interesting. Do you think it could also work with a Roland FD-7 hi-hat controller? I've been toying with the idea of taking apart the 2box hi-hat and fitting the sensor to the FD-7. This would allow me to use the FD-7 to control both my Roland SPD-20  and the 2box also, maybe simultaneously, but I fear my DIY skills may let me down.

Thanks,
Hatul.

Jman

Quote from: HiHat on November 17, 2013, 12:34:15 AM
Hello JMan,

This looks interesting. Do you think it could also work with a Roland FD-7 hi-hat controller? I've been toying with the idea of taking apart the 2box hi-hat and fitting the sensor to the FD-7. This would allow me to use the FD-7 to control both my Roland SPD-20  and the 2box also, maybe simultaneously, but I fear my DIY skills may let me down.

Thanks,
Hatul.
Actually it will work quite nicely under an FD-7
FD7 2Bx Stlth HH bx by Jman Stealth, on Flickr

Send me a private message if you are interested, thanks, J

Dänoh

Jerry,

how about a Yamaha HH-65?

Does this work equally as well under one of Yammies controllers? Just curious....

Jman

Quote from: Dänoh on November 17, 2013, 11:47:37 AM
Jerry,

how about a Yamaha HH-65?

Does this work equally as well under one of Yammies controllers? Just curious....
I don't have one to check, but from the pic it looks like the only space under the pedal is back toward the heel and I doubt there is enough space there for the control box.
YamahaHH65_zps0fa454c4 by Jman Stealth, on Flickr

The thing to keep in mind though ..... the advantage of a Hi Hat stand over these separate E Pedals is that the experience is much more realistic when the Hi Hat cymbal moves like a normal acoustic Hi Hat during play.

So here is an interesting idea for a Hi Hat stand that could serve for the 2Box and the SPD-S like Hatul mentioned..... If you were to take the PDP/FD stand that I build and have a DIY tutorial for on my website and combine it with the special Stealth 2Box HH control box .... you would really have something :) As a plus, it works in either VH-11/FD mode (compatible with entry level Roland modules up) or that little adapter you see on top of my Stealth HH cymbals enables the stand to work in VH-12 mode for the high end Roland modules too. 8)
PDP-FDHHStand_zps420c5a48 by Jman Stealth, on Flickr

HiHat

Hello JMan,

Sent you a message.

Just to clarify it's an SPD-20 I use and not an SPD-S or SPD-SX but I think they also have a hi-hat controller input - not sure about the SPD-6 though. I think this would be suitable for the SPD-30 also.

That stand looks great. I'm trying to avoid a hi-hat stand though as I only got in to electronics due to space and volume restrictions so that I could have a compact and quiet "kit".  The following question got very annoying: Can you play quietly please?   >:(
"Ermm no - I'm a drummer" was not appreciated as an answer :)

I've never liked electronics so my original set up was Roland SPD-20 (SPD-8 and SPD-11 before that), FD-7 Hi Hat controller, 2 x PD-7 pads for snare and hi-hat and KD-7 for bass drum. I'm basically trying to replicate that with the 2box as the sound source, via midi, which has stopped me from selling off the SPD-20. It had been languishing in it's case for a long time now because the sounds are mediocre at best and I hated playing it but hopefully the 2box will give the SPD-20 a new lease of life.

I was going to use the SPD-20 for the hi-hat sounds as I never got the 2box hi-hat to work as i wanted. If your conversion kit works as I think then I'll be be able to free up the hi-hat pad and hi-hat controller inputs on the SPD-20 allowing me to have a very compact and gorgeous sounding kit indeed  :) 

Regards,
Hatul

Jman

Quote from: HiHat on November 17, 2013, 11:24:27 PM
Hello JMan,

Sent you a message.

Just to clarify it's an SPD-20 I use and not an SPD-S or SPD-SX but I think they also have a hi-hat controller input - not sure about the SPD-6 though. I think this would be suitable for the SPD-30 also.

That stand looks great. I'm trying to avoid a hi-hat stand though as I only got in to electronics due to space and volume restrictions so that I could have a compact and quiet "kit".  The following question got very annoying: Can you play quietly please?   >:(
"Ermm no - I'm a drummer" was not appreciated as an answer :)

I've never liked electronics so my original set up was Roland SPD-20 (SPD-8 and SPD-11 before that), FD-7 Hi Hat controller, 2 x PD-7 pads for snare and hi-hat and KD-7 for bass drum. I'm basically trying to replicate that with the 2box as the sound source, via midi, which has stopped me from selling off the SPD-20. It had been languishing in it's case for a long time now because the sounds are mediocre at best and I hated playing it but hopefully the 2box will give the SPD-20 a new lease of life.

I was going to use the SPD-20 for the hi-hat sounds as I never got the 2box hi-hat to work as i wanted. If your conversion kit works as I think then I'll be be able to free up the hi-hat pad and hi-hat controller inputs on the SPD-20 allowing me to have a very compact and gorgeous sounding kit indeed  :) 

Regards,
Hatul

This Hi Hat conversion kit isn't magic, it just replaces the controller for the 2Box Hi Hat making it possible to use other Ecymbals, and beyond the actual hardware for the 2Box Hi Hat there is a lot that can be accomplished. Several of the stock 2Box Hi Hat dsnds with the latest 1.26 OS work very well. Additionally Hi Hat dsnds built from some of the VST programs with SDSE perform even better IMO. One friend that switched a week or so ago from a Roland TD-20X to the 2Box module with his own kit and the Stealth 2Box HH conv. kit told me the Hi Hat sounds and performance are the best he has experienced on an Ekit which is my own experience too.

Dänoh

Quote from: Jman on November 17, 2013, 01:57:55 PM
I don't have one to check, but from the pic it looks like the only space under the pedal is back toward the heel and I doubt there is enough space there for the control box.

Thanks very much, Jerry!  :rock:
This means I maybe will rather 'steer clear' of the HH-65 in further ...erm... 'setup conceptions'.

QuoteThe thing to keep in mind though ..... the advantage of a Hi Hat stand over these separate E Pedals is that the experience is much more realistic when the Hi Hat cymbal moves like a normal acoustic Hi Hat during play.

I'm positive about all you've said is valid indeed.
Though, if space is an issue, it might be better to go with a 'seperate controller/pad' combination.

In addition, I am very drawn towards the club of the 'centered hat / symmetrical kit' weirdos'... 8)
I think the stand will be a problem; in that scenario!

Jman

Quote from: Dänoh on November 18, 2013, 03:19:45 PM
Thanks very much, Jerry!  :rock:
This means I maybe will rather 'steer clear' of the HH-65 in further ...erm... 'setup conceptions'.

I'm positive about all you've said is valid indeed.
Though, if space is an issue, it might be better to go with a 'seperate controller/pad' combination.

In addition, I am very drawn towards the club of the 'centered hat / symmetrical kit' weirdos'... 8)
I think the stand will be a problem; in that scenario!
Actually it is no different using a remote Hi Hat stand than a standard HH stand.... just put the control box under the pedal like a regular HH stand and place your Hi Hat cymbals where you choose.
Daniel (fulrmr) uses a remote HH stand.
GriffinRemoteHHstand_zps055ad640 by Jman Stealth, on Flickr

fulrmr

Quote from: Jman on November 19, 2013, 03:07:03 AM
Actually it is no different using a remote Hi Hat stand than a standard HH stand.... just put the control box under the pedal like a regular HH stand and place your Hi Hat cymbals where you choose.
Daniel (fulrmr) uses a remote HH stand.

Symmetrical weirdo here ;) just stopping by to say that the remotes are very versatile and although I use the DW with my control box instead of the Pearl...I have heard the Pearl works great...and is a bit less expensive.  :)

Greg the groove

J, that little "x" on top of the controller, is that sticky tape where you stick the circular magnet or where do you tape the magnet? To the bottom of the pedal?

Also, do you think that this is OK to transport for gigs or does the magnet eventually come loose or the box unvelcros etc...? Maybe it's better for studio use only?

Greg the groove

I'm guessing that the little x is where the magnet should come down to and touch possibly? :)

Dänoh

Quote from: Jman on November 13, 2013, 05:18:36 PM
3 determine location for magnet by Jman Stealth, on Flickr

Quote from: Greg the groove on November 24, 2013, 02:19:40 AM
I'm guessing that the little x is where the magnet should come down to and touch possibly? :)

Judging from this picture, it appears Greg is right!  :)

I understand where the 'Cymbal' and 'Module' jacks should go to, but what is the '50 ohms' resistor to be plugged into the 'kOhm' jack?

The magnet?  ???

Jman

Guys, relax ..... when I sell these I also include the step by step picture installation guide and instructions for setup and play .... it really isn't complicated.

Jman

The red X on the control box marks where the hall sensor is located inside the box. So the magnet is placed directly above that on the bottom of the HH pedal. The Kohm dial .... is not an input it is simply an adjuster that makes it possible to adjust how "hot" of a signal is sent from the HH cymbal. I added this because some eCymbals are "hotter" than others. Again, all the instructions are included. The Kohm adjustment is really only necessary if your cymbal peaks out the velocity meter even if the sensitivity is set to 0 in the module. 0 is no resistance, 50 is 50Kohm resistance ..... so you have a range between 0 and 50 Kohms of resistance that can be used. It is the type of adjustment (if you even need it) that is only necessary to set once for a particular cymbal.
As far as sticking the magnet to the bottom of the pedal. That stuff is some of the strongest 2 sided adhesive you will ever find. It actually gets stronger and stronger over time .... so once you stick that on you won't have to worry about it whether you gig or not. And if someone is paranoid I have extra magnets and adhesive ....
For gigging the box is installed via industrial Velcro, so you can pull the box for moving the kit if you want and put it back on when setting up. Simple.
These conversion kits are very durable and dependable, I've been using mine for a couple years already. Plus they are never in contact with the foot pedal. During setup you set your top HH cymbals so when completely closed the pedal is still 1/4" to 1/2" above the box. The magnet or pedal will never touch the control box during play. The detection is very good and accurate even for a wide gap between cymbals. You can even set your hats to open an inch or more if you like......  these kits are the shizzzzzzle! They work great...  ;D :rock: