News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Tablet for 2 box

Started by hemiboy, November 09, 2013, 12:58:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemiboy

Hey Guys, I am the worst tech guy in the world. I need to buy a tablet for my Drum kit which is all the way on the other side of the room where  my computer used to be. I have a desk top but I wanteverything from my  2 box module, drum lessons, videos , Orin other words everything drums . Any suggestions and how many gigs would you suggest? This will be used only for my drums!

Murgen

To be honest I'm Apple biassed and hooked up my iPad to my A&H mixer and use Youtube, Garageband, iTunes and the Tempo and liveBPM tools. I can also hookup my iPhone or another iPad for other stuff. I can record using DAW Multitrack and the USB-converter plug from Apple. Via Wifi and the iClpoud I share all the stuff with the other devices like my Mac. The demo is old, just did some stuff to test the DW-kit I just created via Lustars great converter. But recorded via my iPad :)  The nicest thing is that I can play along a track and filter the track out on the A&H and just record my drums (and Gen16 cymbals).

https://soundcloud.com/murgen-templar/demo1-1

Rack by murgenetemplar, on Flickr

Bottomline: one of the best things of getting older is to have the income to buy all the toys. :D   
--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012

fulrmr

I'm not really bias for anything but keep in mind that if you want instant access to SDSE  and all your VST libraries you'll need a Windows Tab  of some sort for large storage capacity, etc....maybe a "Surface" or it's equivalent?

Murgen

True, SDSE does not run on OSX. That is the only bummer, however, I wonder if Reaper, BFD2 and such will run in a tablet.
--------

Dänoh

Running BFD could become tight, if you haven't enough processor-power or RAM...
I can't see no problem with reaper in the first place, but this is depending on what VSTi's you load in...

HTH

Murgen

You can see on the picture I have modified my module with an external 32 GB SD. I update the cards offline.
--------

Dänoh

Sorry, that was a misunderstanging on my part!
I meant to say 'whether you can run BFD & Reaper on a Tablet, depends on Processing-power and RAM!

I know you are running Evil-Drums successfully with the 2box!
That's the beauty of Jman's card-mod: You don't have to worry about memory!

Regarding the processing-power of the Drumit-5 itself:
Let's just say that  'more is better!!!'
Now, where's that dedicated memory-partition for Impulse Resonses, I wanna see a built-in convolution-reverb!!!  :rock:

hemiboy

Would it be possible for me to run an additional monitor and  keyboard off my current desk top to across the room by my drums and another cable in?

Murgen

Quote from: hemiboy on November 10, 2013, 04:15:23 AM
Would it be possible for me to run an additional monitor and  keyboard off my current desk top to across the room by my drums and another cable in?

Could be but would you not consider a cheap laptop or an old PC on Wifi as remote desktop. Even tablets can be configured as remote desktop but mouse and keyboard are missing.
--------

Dänoh

Quote from: Murgen on November 10, 2013, 09:42:40 AM
Could be but would you not consider a cheap laptop or an old PC on Wifi as remote desktop. Even tablets can be configured as remote desktop but mouse and keyboard are missing.

Actually a good idea, although a few longer cables  (or 'cable extenders') will be more cost-effective than a cheap laptop...  8)

fulrmr

At the moment I use a cheap projector hooked to my PC across the room(yes..with a long VGA cable) which I control with a wireless key board with a touch pad. I just project my desktop on the wall in front of my kit and set the keyboard on my snare (or lap) when tweaking parameters.

fulrmr

Quote from: Murgen on November 09, 2013, 10:11:38 PM
True, SDSE does not run on OSX. That is the only bummer, however, I wonder if Reaper, BFD2 and such will run in a tablet.

The Surface Pro and it's equivalent on the market(Samsung/ASUS/Dell/Razor Edge) that run Widows 8 usually have 2/4G RAM(the Razor Edge actually has 8G) and dual/quad processors which should be powerful enough to run just about anything you need. Especially if you are just converting samples or doing some basic recording. However you will need to have an external disk drive on hand to load the software. Also....buy a tablet with all the RAM you think you will ever need because you cannot upgrade it like a laptop or PC...it's built in. Not sure about the SSD though...but if it were me...I would max that out too. In fact...I just might. ;)