News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Would a cymbal from a different brand work?

Started by Danmandrums, December 24, 2009, 08:36:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roel

Quote from: kunkyape on April 10, 2010, 05:59:01 PM
I am waiting for my order from smart trigger to turn up next week as I have a splash, china and crash so will feed back!

Cheers

hmm maby not so smart don't you think?

Deve Loper

Hi.

The next OS will have different cymbal trig routines.
The sensing of cup versus bow was based on waveform analysis.
This relies on the cymbals having a consistent behaviour regarding the differences in waveform when being hit on the cup and bow.
(The edge trigger zone is always detected by a switch).
However, this system didn't prove reliable enough.
So instead the cup zone will now be detected by the fact that it has a much higher signal level (since it's right on top of the piezo). When the trig gain is at minimum, medium to hard hits on the the cup will trigger the cup zone, any hit on the bow will trigger the bow zone. However, weak hits on the cup will be interpreted as relatively hard bow hits.
In practice it turns out to play quite well, specially since bow will always be bow. Just make sure to play the cup relatively strong.

This change will make it easier for other cymbals to be used too. Generally they will (should) have an even signal level all over the surface, so if the sensitivity is set correctly, other cymbals should at least have a correct bow trigger, and if they have a edge switch, that should work too.

Regards,

Deve.

puttenvr

nonoduweb

Quote from: Deve Loper on April 11, 2010, 09:22:32 AM

...The sensing of cup versus bow was based on waveform analysis.
This relies on the cymbals having a consistent behaviour regarding the differences in waveform when being hit on the cup and bow....

We can make (very bad) positional sensing with this method.  ;D
I connected the snare pad to the trigger input CYMB3, and after playing on the tension of the head, the top of the pad to the middle played the sound of the bell (Zone1) and the bottom played the sound of the bow (Zone3).
I loaded a sound of cymbal in the module with samples of a low tom in Zone1 and a higher sound in Zone3, and it worked.
Only problem: we have to hit the bottom of the pad slowly to be in Zone3, with the gain in 0.  :-\