News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Crash Cymbal Problems

Started by chasethewind, July 27, 2013, 09:36:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chasethewind

Heya

Just bought a 2box, and I'm having issues with the first cymbal. For some reason it triggers the bell 80% of the time with random bow and edge sounds interspersed. Also, it cannot be choked. I've tried switching the cymbal out and the problem remains, meaning the issue is not with the cymbal itself. I've messed with the settings a bit and haven't had any luck. Any ideas?

Thanks.

edtc

You can check the type of trigger ... it looks like you are on "cycup" mode ... choose 3zone or cyedge ....

tower of p

Jman

Yeah check the trigger type under the Unit settings as edtc mentioned. Cym14 is the type to set it for 2Box brand cymbals, that gives Bow/Bell/Edge sounds plus choke, then follow tower of p's link for fine tuning the response. If you do not want the bell sound included with your crash cymbals set the trigger type to CyEdg that gives you just bow and edge sounds plus choke.

J
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

chasethewind

Thanks, I've changed the cymbal type to CyEdg, which has solved the bell problem, but I'm still unable to choke it...

edtc

strange ...  are you sure it s a stereo jack , and that the cable is not damaged ?

Jman

Quote from: edtc on July 31, 2013, 12:23:12 PM
strange ...  are you sure it s a stereo jack , and that the cable is not damaged ?
Yup, check that cable. Since the other 2Box cymbal does not have choke in that input either it is likely that is the problem. Did you buy this kit new, or used? Are they all stock 2Box cymbals and pads? Is that cymbal plugged into a cymbal input? When tom inputs are split for adding extra cymbals you get 2 mono pads and cymbals in the split input.

More info would be good to troubleshoot the problem.

chasethewind

Cable isn't the issue, i've tried it with a few and the problem persists. I'll try it with some more later on just to be sure. The kit was a store kit, you know one that people come in and jam on. Otherwise it's brand new. All cymbals and pads are 2box. It seems the problem is with the cymbal 1 input in the brain (is that what it's called?) as I have tried other cymbals and leads through that input and have the same problem.

edtc

just a question :

when you are on cycup mode , do you have a bell sound while hitting the edge of the cymbal ?

chasethewind

Definitely not the leads or cymbals, tried with a few different ones. No, when I'm in cycup mode it crashes like normal. When I'm on cym12 or cym14 however, I get a bell sound when hitting the edge. I can't choke it in any of the modes though.

edtc

OK....

well , if you have a lot of bell when hitting the edge in CYM14 mode , it makes me think that maybe the wiring is somewhere wrong .... 

it s possible that the edge switch is wired to the tip ( it must be on the "ring" of the jack ) ...causing a hot signal to where it should be the piezo sensor ...

i was thinking this because the 2box module separates the bell from the bow with the velocity ; the sensor is in the bell , so when a hot signal is recieved , the bell sound is heard ...

the bad wiring could be in the module or in the cymbal , but more likely in the cymbal ..maybe a bad fixing in the shop , as it was a demo kit ... ;)

You can do two things : before anything , recheck that you are in the right mode (cym 14 )

1- first , try the other cymbal that works , and plug it into cym1 input ...( use the cable that works for cymbal 2 and plug it to cym 1.)

if it s the same problem happens , it should be the module ... if it works , module is ok ...

2- then , you can modify one cable ( stereo jack) so that tip and ring are inversed ( ground should stay wired to the other ends ground ...)
When it s done , plug your "problem cymbal" with this cable into cym1 input ...
if it happens to work  , the internal wiring is wrong , you can fix it yourself by inverting tip and ring in the cymbal , or send it back to the shop ...

If none of these works for you , contact your shop  and give them what you will find faulty ( module in case 1 , and cymbal in case 2)

good luck  :patbat2box:

Jman

Since all the cymbals work in the other inputs as edtc mentioned if you just plug one of the cables from a working cymbal of Cymbal input 2 or 3 into Cymbal input 1 .... and still have a problem with no choke with the trigger type set to Cym14 .... it must be the module. As edtc mentioned it sounds like the wiring is wrong, but it could be a broken wire, something fried, or the jack itself not lining up inside ..... being on display like that, there might have been an accident or abuse of some sort. I'd be contacting the place you bought it and if they do not have another module, have them order you a replacement you can exchange for when a new module comes in.