News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Adjusting Pitch in homemade DSNDs

Started by Jovato, February 07, 2013, 12:43:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jovato

Hi guys.  I made a couple of nice snare dsnds from Addictive Drums today.  One thing is peculiar, however.  On both of my snare drums, I can adjust the pitch down in the module, but not up.  I can get the up arrow by depressing the pitch knob, but it still doesn't allow me to adjust pitch up- only down.  Is this normal, or could it be peculiar to the way I am making my DSNDs?  I'm using Plogue Bidule to host AD, play the midi file from Dsoundtool and record the .wav files.  Then I am using Dsoundtool to generate the final DSND from the .wav files.

nonoduweb

Original 2box sounds are sampled at 37khz rate or something like that, so you can pitch them up to 44khz using the pitcher on the module.

If you sample your own dsnd files at 44khz it won't be possible to pitch them up more.

espen

Yes. DSoundtool generates the DSNDs at 44kHz, so pitching up is unabled. However, with 2Box sound editor you can adjust the pitch when making DSNDs. The easiest way IMO is to use the split tool with your current DSNDs in Dsoundtool and you get separate samples that you import in 2Box sound editor.

Jovato

Thank you so much.  That explains things perfectly!  Very interesting.

fishmonkey

if you are after the best possible sound quality, you should avoid pitch shifting in the module.

Jovato

I agree, generally.  I'm just trying to come up with a few solid voices that work in a variety of settings.  I expect that I will design specific kits as I need certain sounds for specific live play situations. 

Jman

Quote from: espen on February 07, 2013, 06:48:05 AM
Yes. DSoundtool generates the DSNDs at 44kHz, so pitching up is unabled. However, with 2Box sound editor you can adjust the pitch when making DSNDs. The easiest way IMO is to use the split tool with your current DSNDs in Dsoundtool and you get separate samples that you import in 2Box sound editor.

That is a great tip. You can make any of the dsnds you created from VSTs tunable up or down this way just like the original 2Box dsnds.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/