News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

FXpansion Zildjian Digital Vault pack...

Started by fishmonkey, January 16, 2013, 01:13:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishmonkey

hey, any opinions on this pack (it's half price until 31 Jan)? they seem to be a repackaging of 3 earlier packs:

http://www.fxpansion.com/index.php?page=198&tab=481

i'm a bit confused by the Gen16 terminology. i thought that referred to the electro-acoustic cymbals?

digitalDrummer

Yes, this is the three original Gen16 sample packs in one. Some great cymbals sounds, with various articulations - brushes, mallets, etc.

fishmonkey

so are these the samples that are used by the actual Gen16 cymbals?

do you think they are good value for money (at half price)?

Haggis-man

Quote from: fishmonkey on January 16, 2013, 06:53:45 AM
so are these the samples that are used by the actual Gen16 cymbals?

do you think they are good value for money (at half price)?

If you are Talking about the Gen 16 metal cymbals with the holes and blue LED mic then no. They do not use samples but are cymbals fitted with pickups that go into a small sound processor to alter the audio characteristics. No samples involved!

The Sample pack on the other hand are samples of some great real acoustic cymbals and a real bargain at £50, I just bought it!

fishmonkey

that's what i thought about the actual Gen16 cymbals. so why did they choose to call these sampled cymbals Gen16 as well???

anyway, the demos do sound good. have any of you compared the cymbals, sample layers and articulations with those that come with the Jazz & Funk pack?

digitalDrummer

Quote from: fishmonkey on January 16, 2013, 07:56:34 AM
that's what i thought about the actual Gen16 cymbals. so why did they choose to call these sampled cymbals Gen16 as well???

anyway, the demos do sound good. have any of you compared the cymbals, sample layers and articulations with those that come with the Jazz & Funk pack?
Gen 16 is the name of Zildjian's electronic percussion range which includes VST packs, acoustic/electronic cymbals and iPad grooves. See http://gen-16.com/

fishmonkey

Haggis-man

Quote from: fishmonkey on January 16, 2013, 07:56:34 AM

I don't have the Jazz & Funk pack, but the hats have less articulations (between 20 and 40 hits) than the standard hats that come with BFD. however I just finished making 5 sets of hats this morning and you can't really tell there are less articulations in there and they sound really good! The other cymbals however (crash, ride etc) seem to have around the same number of hits for articulations as the standard ones but I only checked a few.

A real bargain at £50!

fishmonkey

yep, it's about time they lowered the prices on their expansion packs (i paid USD249 for the Jazz & Funk pack a couple of years ago).

i've been wanting the percussion pack for a while but now i've listened to the samples again and i'm not that impressed. and i can sample my own rubbish bins!

digitalDrummer

Quote from: fishmonkey on January 16, 2013, 10:49:38 AM
silly name for a range. anyway, sold!
It's the 16th generation of Zildjians making cymbals; hence Gen 16.

fishmonkey

fair enough, great story the Zildjian family.

Jman

I'd highly recommend the Zildjian Gen16 VST samples. Much cheaper than I paid before this special. They are definitely my go to cymbal dsnds now in my 2Box modules.

A little side note teaser ..... SDSE for BFD2 is in the works ...  (sorry Lustar if I shouldn't be gossiping ;))
so it'll be a one click thing to convert these and other BFD2 packs/kits to dsnds you can use in the 2Box module.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

fishmonkey

hmmm, looks like i'll have to install Reaper in my Windows partition!

Murgen

I can recommend the BFD2 pack. I added 10 kits to my 2Box including DW, Rogers, Pork Pie, Pearl Masterworks, Orange County, Ludwig Vistalite and Black Oyster.
--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012

zorg

Hi guys a noob here  lol. So on this about the cymbal packs how do I get the pack and put it into my 2box module?

Cheers Jason.