SDSE: export drum VSTs to .wav, .dsnd and .dkit in 1-click

Started by Lustar, November 23, 2012, 10:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you be interested in a Mac version of SDSE? (only vote if you are a Mac user)

Yes, a Mac version is a must for me
I would but I already use the Windows version on my Mac or notebook
No, free solutions like Boot Camp or VirtualBox are enough, keep the focus on supporting VSTs

Jman

Quote from: stickcharmer on May 24, 2013, 08:13:24 PM
Do you know if SDSE reads the eq on single instruments or channel 1/2 out? Trying to decide if I should add an eq on the out and "bass" is up a little.
The (L/R) Master Outs in Reaper is what is being recorded. You are recording each instrument individually, but whatever additional channels and effects are included with the instrument in the Mixer section of your VST that are being channeled through the Master Outs determines the final instrument sound. That includes different mics, like direct mics and overhead mics, Amb, effects like verb etc.. I would suggest panning the individual instruments (I like to pan everything center and later pan it the way I want in the module). Listen to the Master Outs before recording, and make whatever EQ changes you want via the individual instruments.... If you change the Master EQ .... you will be changing the EQ for everything. Check the presets in SD, BFD, or any of the VSTs .... I would suggest trying out some dif presets, like default, dry, Roomy, Rock, etc... see what is useful to you....

Edit: my suggestion above pertains to all the VSTs .... specific in SD2 in the mixer section if you try out the individual instruments you'll see the channels that are included and the slider adjustments for the channels that are moving their VU meters that shape the final instrument sound going to the Master Outs in Reaper.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

espen

Quote from: stickcharmer on May 24, 2013, 06:36:55 PM
One quick thing, and I remind you all that I am new to this, but does it seem as though the dsnds from SD are sounding a little thin from the 2box. They sound right where I want them in SD, I run SDSE and load into 2box and then they sound off from the originals. Im using the same headphones to monitor SD as I do on my 2box. Perhaps more eq tweaking in Reaper before I transfer them?

I think thiks is the same topic we discussed at the beginning of this year: http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php?topic=1598.msg14639#msg14639

To me it's clearly audible that there is a difference. I've noticed that some vsts suffer from it more than others. I've tested Addictive Drums (almost all ADPaks), EZDrummer (several EZXs), Steven Slate Drums 4, Studio Drummer, and Drumasonic (all three). AD has the biggest problems on this IMO. I think something happen during the conversion from wav to dsnd, or the outputs of the module suck a bit.

By the way, I haven't used SDSE. I've done all manually with Reaper, DSoundTool and 2Box Sound Editor.

KevH

Having finally got around to looking into this part of things, I have to thank you for the software. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks like this is going to be awesome.  :patbat2box:

logihack

At first I must tell, that I'm really amazed with this software and even if I have module connected with audio card all the time, I'm playing just with the sounds from module.
I also noticed big difference when doing dsnd file from Ad library. I don't know why, but it sounds thin, so i work just with SD+evil drums, even if I have ad and retro, funk, reel machines. I tried and didn't like how it sounds and plays. In my case I even had to raise the gain, to achieve the same feeling, or playability, compared to Sd.
So what should I buy next? Which drum library is the most versatile?  I'm between ssd4, Drumasonic and another toontrack product.

Jman

Quote from: logihack on June 03, 2013, 04:22:57 PM
At first I must tell, that I'm really amazed with this software and even if I have module connected with audio card all the time, I'm playing just with the sounds from module.
I also noticed big difference when doing dsnd file from Ad library. I don't know why, but it sounds thin, so i work just with SD+evil drums, even if I have ad and retro, funk, reel machines. I tried and didn't like how it sounds and plays. In my case I even had to raise the gain, to achieve the same feeling, or playability, compared to Sd.
So what should I buy next? Which drum library is the most versatile?  I'm between ssd4, Drumasonic and another toontrack product.
Since you already have SD I would suggest adding Metal Foundry SDX (It is a great pack IMO) very versatile pack and tons of instruments on it .... Audio Deluxe has promo pricing right now and it is only $83 .... or $153 for 2 SDX expansions. If you are not registered at Audio Deluxe simply register and you will get the special pricing:
http://audiodeluxe.com/

logihack

Thanks Jman... I was thinking in that direction, about metal foundry.  So I'll l buy two packs  :)  :rock:
And which pack is the most '' popish ''?  I have just rock oriented drums now. SD, evil drums and now MF. Music City maybe?  But again, i heard, that Classic and vintage, is one of the best sd packs.

Jman

Quote from: logihack on June 11, 2013, 02:41:52 PM
Thanks Jman... I was thinking in that direction, about metal foundry.  So I'll l buy two packs  :)  :rock:
And which pack is the most '' popish ''?  I have just rock oriented drums now. SD, evil drums and now MF. Music City maybe?  But again, i heard, that Classic and vintage, is one of the best sd packs.
Yeah for Pop, I guess both of those packs fit pretty well. Don't be fooled though Metal Foundry is a very versatile pack definitely not just for Metal, the name of that pack can fool you.
Pros and Cons of Music City and Classic and Vintage:

Classic and Vintage has a lot more choices of instruments, and kits; 4 dif kits, 20 snares, 6 kicks, 20 total toms, 7 Hi Hats (but not as many transitions as I like), lots of cymbals. But the cymbals are all single zone except 3 zones on Rides.

Music City has 2 small kits, 5 snares, 5 kicks, a total of 5 toms between 2 kits which means 3 toms on one kit, 2 toms on the other, decent amount of cymbals and 1 Hi Hat, but the HH has more transitions than C&V hats. The big plus at least for me on Music City is the fact that all cymbals are multi zones, so the crashes have Bell, Bow  and Edge.

So if 3 zone crashes is something you use or like, Music City is one of the SD packs that has that. Roots also has that.
Superior Drummer already has a few great HH's in the Avatar basic pack, I use those a lot. And Metal Foundry has several great hats, Evil Drums too .... so you won't have to worry much about hats whichever other pack you add.

My favorite cymbals are in the Zildjian Digital Vault, excellent cymbals with all multiple zones for everything, and great Hi Hats too. Unfortunately you would need a BFD program for those .... Eco is real cheap right now, but not sure if you can utilize full functionality of the Zildjian packs, someone using Eco would know. J

fulrmr

I have some questions......can one mix and match from all these different VSTs to build a kit even though some are BFD...while others are SDXs? I know...noob question for sure but I have not built any of my own yet and I'll have 6 toms....and 14 cymbals. Can one make 6 toms from a single VST kit even though it only comes with 3 or 4 toms?

I just got rid of all my Roland gear but I still have that "tweaking" mentality. ;)

fishmonkey

once you've rendered the sounds down to DSND format, you can mix and match the kit pieces however you like...

fulrmr

Quote from: fishmonkey on June 12, 2013, 03:10:41 AM
once you've rendered the sounds down to DSND format, you can mix and match the kit pieces however you like...

Cool...I like the sound of that...pardon the pun.  ;)

Jman

And yes, you have a huge amount of mixing capabilities in most VSTs, so you can tweak toms to make convincing toms of dif sizes than the original sample .... like 8" out of 10", 18" from a 16" tom .... etc. etc. Since I have 5 toms on my kit I've built 5 toms out of almost every VST kit I own and 6 toms out of some. There are also some large kits like Billy Cobham or Neal Peart's for BFD that have 7 or 8 toms already. SD Metal Foundry has 5 toms already for a few of the kits and the Tama Imperial Star has something like 8 or 9 toms (although the Tama kit is one of my least favorite sounding kits).

fulrmr

Quote from: Jman on June 12, 2013, 03:24:36 AM
And yes, you have a huge amount of mixing capabilities in most VSTs, so you can tweak toms to make convincing toms of dif sizes than the original sample .... like 8" out of 10", 18" from a 16" tom .... etc. etc. Since I have 5 toms on my kit I've built 5 toms out of almost every VST kit I own and 6 toms out of some. There are also some large kits like Billy Cobham or Neal Peart's for BFD that have 7 or 8 toms already. SD Metal Foundry has 5 toms already for a few of the kits and the Tama Imperial Star has something like 8 or 9 toms (although the Tama kit is one of my least favorite sounding kits).

Cool. Thanks. Ok...another question. My PC is a Vista64 box(service pack2)/AMD 9750 Quad Core 2.4GHz/8G RAM/430G space/7200rpmHD. It already has S2.0/Reaper...will this program(and any others I need) run on it without upgrading? Not only do I not want to loose my files...I have lots of programs on this PC  I don't want to chance losing even though it says that an "Upgrade" to Win7 will not delete my files or programs...I don't think I believe it...nor do I want to chance it if it's not necessary. Besides...budget it always a concern.

EDIT: Ok I see that SDSE can be used with Vista....thanks. :)

Lustar

64-bit is perfect for DSoundTool on Windows (just make sure to install the 64-bit version of Java JRE) and 8GB of RAM is more than enough. If your system works fine you absolutely don't need to update to export to .dsnd.

Jman

One thing to consider up the road Daniel, at least IMO .... another external USB Hard Drive .... while 480GB seems like a lot, if you are like me (and I know you are  ;) ) you will run out of space when you start adding more VSTs or VST expansion packs, plus storing of module backups, new dsnds you build, etc ... It adds up pretty quick. I originally started adding 1TB add on external Hard Drive .... then went 2TB .... 3TB recently  ;D
When it is possible I put the sound samples of the VSTs on my external Hard Drive instead of taking up valuable space on the C drive. When I installed Addictive Drums the whole program could only be installed on the main drive ... not sure if that has changed recently, but the other VSTs I have all samples on the external drives.
It is nice to set this up like this early since it saves transferring huge amounts of data from drive to drive in the future. 
J

milojko