SDSE: export drum VSTs to .wav, .dsnd and .dkit in 1-click

Started by Lustar, November 23, 2012, 10:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you be interested in a Mac version of SDSE? (only vote if you are a Mac user)

Yes, a Mac version is a must for me
I would but I already use the Windows version on my Mac or notebook
No, free solutions like Boot Camp or VirtualBox are enough, keep the focus on supporting VSTs

Lustar

Thanks for your order Murgen, I'll have to look into this but I did receive your order and you should have received the full version in your inbox a few minutes ago.

Edit: the issue with the return page is fixed now

Murgen

It did! Just the issue that I ordered and downloaded on my PC and the mail is on my Mac. It worked, thanx Lustar.

My drum-teacher, also an enthusiastic 2Box player in his free time, and I joined forces and I will convert his samples (Superior Drummer). Looking forward entering a new world and you truly make the open source a reality. 
--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012

TipNTap

Hi Lustar,

you wrote:
QuoteVarious features require one or several of the following programs:

Reaper 4+ 32/64 - www.reaper.fm
    a VST like Superior Drummer 2 - www.toontrack.com
    DSoundTool 1.12 - www.shortestpath.se/dsoundtool
Do I need Reaper4+ to create DSNDs and kits from Superior Drummer? What features depend on DSoundTool?

Many thanks!

Markus

Lustar

Yes, to export from Superior Drummer 2 to .dsnd you'll need both Reaper 4 and DSoundTool.
Reaper 4 is required to exporting to .wav and DSoundTool is required to export to .dsnd.
SDSE can be used without Reaper to quickly build dsnd files from any .wav files using DsoundTool if you name your files using the zone names found in the SDSE.ini configuration file. So if you have existing drum instruments in .wav format you would just have to rename the files to import them to .dsnd.
If you export a whole kit from SD2 to .dsnd SDSE will generate a matching .dkit (single kit) so you'll just have to copy the files to your SD card and start playing.

digitalDrummer

I don't want to bang on (pardon the pun) about Mac compatibility, but can we see by virtual show of hands how many people would be interested in a Mac version of SDSE? I'm sure if there are enough of us interested, we may convince the developer to apply his magic to our OS. Alternatively, there may be a Mac whiz out there who can adapt the scripts?
This product is seemingly too good to just remain in the Windows domain.
Other niche e-drum apps like VDrumLib and ZenEdit, which don't have huge markets, have been adapted, so let's hope that same can happen here.

RockStarGate

Quote from: digitalDrummer on November 30, 2012, 11:28:47 PM
I don't want to bang on (pardon the pun) about Mac compatibility, but can we see by virtual show of hands how many people would be interested in a Mac version of SDSE? I'm sure if there are enough of us interested, we may convince the developer to apply his magic to our OS. Alternatively, there may be a Mac whiz out there who can adapt the scripts?
This product is seemingly too good to just remain in the Windows domain.
Other niche e-drum apps like VDrumLib and ZenEdit, which don't have huge markets, have been adapted, so let's hope that same can happen here.

I think Lustar would would develop his product further if people start buying it! The 2box world is small, the few of us that can benefit from products for 2box should support those who develop them!
$20 is a small price to pay, if you have a Mac, buy it anyways, if you have BFD and not SD, buy it anyways....the updates will keep coming if his PayPal account gets FAT!  :patbat2box:

beppedrum

Just bought SDSE
Now Lustark i'm waiting for your software and for BFD2 version!

can you made a short video tutorial like Brian-D?
Ciao

Slap the drummer

Wow!
This thing is amazing...

when the orange haze descends and things start happening real fast,
it's a beautiful sight to behold!

Many thanks to Lustar for sharing this, and for being so quick to help me get it
up and running.   :)

I was a bit hesitant about having to use Reaper coz I just don't even understand
what it is exactly...

So it's worth highlighting that setting up Reaper was in fact a doddle and then it just
sits there doing whatever it is that it does - all you have to do is open it and close it.

:animal:

RockStarGate

So I've been messing around trying to get BFD to work with SDSE. I was able to map the snare and kick to the proper midi notes and run SDSE. I did get .dsnd's from it but the tails get abruptly cut-off. Don't know where to go from there....I also noticed that when I just loaded one or two instruments in BFD that SDSE would still run the whole procedure unlike SD where if only one instrument was loaded, SDSE would just run for that one instrument and then create a .dsnd.
I would love an answer but I know nobody has one....just posting what I've done.

Lustar

beppedrum, I'll make a video tutorial soon.

Slap, Reaper is a "digital audio workstation" software, here we're just using it to playback VST sounds but you could also use it to record a song with multiple tracks. Love the Orange haze bit comment ;D

RockStarGate, if the tails get cut off try increasing the volume in BFD it should help.
It's normal that SDSE would do that, it doesn't read the list of instruments like it does for SD2. You can try enabling zone manually in Reaper. I'm sorry that I can't be of much help about BFD2 for now.

Rider

sadly i cant get it to work , and its not sdse fault
sdse its great!!

but dsndtool will not ever work for me, it always gave me the not enough memory bla bla error , and ive tried all the workarrounds posted here and still no succes.

will u ever consiider doing your own dsnd builder and include it with sdse??

thx and keep up the great work

RockStarGate

Quote from: Lustar on December 04, 2012, 02:01:21 PM

RockStarGate, if the tails get cut off try increasing the volume in BFD it should help.
It's normal that SDSE would do that, it doesn't read the list of instruments like it does for SD2. You can try enabling zone manually in Reaper. I'm sorry that I can't be of much help about BFD2 for now.

That didn't work, oh well, just have to do it the hard way  :o

Lustar

Rider, it's true that DSoundTool can produce those errors but otherwise it's a great tool that is very useful to 2Box users. I think the best solution is to support the DSoundTool author by registering it and asking for a fix. The only practical problem most people encounter is probably that it doesn't free memory after creating a .dsnd file.

Here are some tips about DsoundTool memory errors, you may already have tried them but it could be useful to others and maybe it could make it work for you.

The first thing to check is that you have a good version of Java installed.
In doubt uninstall all instances of Java first and install the latest JRE version you can find on oracle.com
(right now it's JRE7u9: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre7u9-downloads-1859586.html)

To make sure DSoundTool doesn't give an out of memory error the solution that will work for sure is to have plenty of RAM. Ideally your computer should have enough RAM to use Reaper, Superior Drummer 2 and DSoundTool at the same time.

Check the amount of RAM in your computer and try to adjust the value in dsoundtool.bat:

to use up to 2GB of RAM for DSoundTool you need at least 4GB of RAM in your computer
start javaw -Xmx2048M -Xms1024M -jar "dsoundtool.jar"
you can also try to increase this value
start javaw -Xmx2560M -Xms1024M -jar "dsoundtool.jar"

If you have more than 8GB of RAM you could try this to use 5GB for DsoundTool which should be enough to export two full kits in a row.
start javaw -Xmx5120M -Xms1024M -jar "dsoundtool.jar"

If you don't have much RAM and can't use SDSE to export several instruments without experiencing out of memory errors you could proceed like this:
- Use the wav button to export to .wav. When it's done click on "clear" in Superior Drummer 2 (bottom left) to free up memory.
- Use the dsnd button to convert the .wav files we just exported to .dsnd. SDSE will load the instrument names from SD2 but samples don't have to be loaded to do that.
- Make sure to close DSoundTool before exporting a new instrument.
The drawback of this solution is that you would have to reload sounds in Superior Drummer 2 after each export job to export another instrument.

Rider

Thx lustar , after posting this i went and uninstalled java , and installed the x64 version , and that fixed it , now im a happy user of new samples on my 2box  :rock:

will contact u for the full ver.

Murgen

--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012