SDSE: export drum VSTs to .wav, .dsnd and .dkit in 1-click

Started by Lustar, November 23, 2012, 10:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you be interested in a Mac version of SDSE? (only vote if you are a Mac user)

Yes, a Mac version is a must for me
I would but I already use the Windows version on my Mac or notebook
No, free solutions like Boot Camp or VirtualBox are enough, keep the focus on supporting VSTs

BURNIN AMBITION

that would be awesome to see what people have as their favourite sounds.

what i hate in all those vst programs is that they dont have a full range of specific model for cymbals. for instance, in my real life acoustic cymbals, i have 14 hhats 14,16,17,18 crashes and 20 ride and they are all masterwork pera cymbals. wht cant we have such a think in bfd for example? to have lkets say, 14,16,18,20 inch aax cymbals and 14 hhats. that would be awesome. is ther some other vst that does that, because bfd clearly doesnt
2box, bengt, deve, digital drummer, Jman, Brian, Manfred thanx for everything

iola 11
http://www.facebook.com/iola11
www.reverbnation.com/iola11
https://soundcloud.com/iola11
https://twitter.com/iola11band
www.youtube.com/iola11band
www.myspace.com/iola11

BURNIN AMBITION

ok i m convinced i will buy the program of course (i wil wait though for the bfd support version), but until then i have a question

i remember in another thread that when i asked about the footsplash sound in hi hats i created, jman told me that in order to have foot splash, the foot splash wav should be in the hi hat dsnd file. so mine didnt have one but in original hhat dsnds it was. i wonder if by creating dsnds with this amazing program, i will be able to have also footsplash sound? thanx
even if i dont it isnt such a big deal, but anyway i wanted to ask

in the following days i will download the trial version to see if i can manage to create dsnds (because i am stupid). i am bound to fail so expect more questions here lol. and once i am ready ill get the full program and start creating everythng  from scratch. thank you

iola 11
www.myspace.com/iola11

Lustar

It's true that there doesn't seem to be a library featuring the complete range of a particular model of cymbal. for BFD2 Zildjian Digital Vault (all 3 Gen16 packs in a bundle, 50% off until January 31) has a nice selection (list here). Avatar, Metal Foundry and other SDX for Superior Drummer 2 have a whole lot of Sabian.

About Foot Splash, SDSE will add it if it's available for the hats you are exporting. It's available for almost all of Superior Drummer 2 sound libraries, apparently all Addictive Drums libraries, but is not available for almost all of the BFD2 libraries. When it's not available, SDSE will use the most open sound as a substitute (BFD2 seems to do the same, it maps one of the most open sounds as the Foot Splash sound).

Please use the contact form on the site if you have trouble getting started.

BURNIN AMBITION

lustar thank you very very much for the clarifications. cant wait to start all over and get all dsnds from scratch!!!

iola 11
www.myspace.com/iola11

Lustar

SDSE 1.3.0 is now available with support for BFD2 and changes aimed at lowering memory requirements.
Big thanks to Jman for testing many versions over the past month.

Over one thousand BFD2 kit pieces are supported from a total of 17 BFD2 expansions.
The evaluation version can export the Ludwig Black Oyster Kick, Snare and Toms from the BFD2 library.

The BFD2 expansions use various naming schemes so it took many hours to get a clean list of all the instrument names. When exporting from any of the supported BFD2 libraries the .wav and .dsnd filenames will use the same naming scheme. If you export from a pack that is not listed as supported it will also work, including naming scheme and shrunk filenames, but the filename may be too long to use it with the DrumIt Five. Please contact me if you have a BFD2 pack that is not listed as supported and I will add support for it.

Important BFD2 tips:
To avoid any risk of getting cut samples when rendering from BFD2, go to the Reaper Preferences (CTRL+P), scroll to Plugins/VST, check "Inform plug-ins of offline rendering state", click "Apply".
BFD2 uses more memory than Superior Drummer 2 or Addictive Drums. Make sure not to load too many kit parts at once if you don't have enough memory to do so.
On a system with 4GB of RAM, loading a 10-piece kit on BFD2 can use all of the available memory.
If you have more than 8GB of RAM, you can speed up rendering by going to BFD2 > Preferences > Engine, checking "Load all to RAM" and clicking "Restart engine".

Here is the list of changes since 1.2.
Most notably, you won't have to launch DSoundTool manually.
Copy dsoundtool.jar in your SDSE folder and it will be launched when needed.
  • support for BFD2
  • support for more Superior Drummer 2 EZX libraries
  • improved Superior Drummer 2 Preset path detection
  • removed unused Superior Drummer 2 settings
  • Left Kick can be exported from Superior Drummer 2
  • Tom rims can be exported from Addictive Drums
  • option to scale GUI with Windows DPI
  • option "Filenames: Add Instrument Year when possible" (used for BFD2, enabled by default)
  • option "Rename .wav on Success" (to instrument names, only with "All" or "F1")
  • option to start DSoundTool when needed (DSoundTool is launched with a setting that saves memory)
  • option to toggle off the current VST after rendering (enabled by default to save memory)
  • option to convert .wav to 16-bit (enabled by default, .dsnd files are already 16-bit)
  • option to convert .wav to Mono (disabled by default)
  • check for free space on Destination Path and for empty .wav files
  • VST FX won't be disabled when rendering to be able to export with effects (you can add VST effects like ReaVerbate or ReaPitch)
  • fixed Addictive Drums support on XP
  • Reaper dock area is adjusted if needed

The first post is updated with the list of supported BFD2 and SD2 libraries.

To Update to this new version from an existing installation of SDSE:
- extract the new version in your current SDSE folder, overwrite all files (your configuration won't be overwritten)
- if you only made change to the main configuration in SDSE.ini,
   you can delete the other SDSE_*.ini files from your folder (SDSE_Shrink.ini, SDSE_Zones.ini, SDSE_SD.ini, SDSE_AD.ini). They will be recreated next time you run SDSE.
- if you made changes to SDSE_Shrink.ini,
   move your SDSE_Shrink.ini to another folder, run SDSE to create a new version of this file then copy your settings to the new file.
- if you update from 1.2 you can safely remove all three Superior Drummer 2 path settings from SDSE.ini
- if you have an old installation of SDSE with a single configuration file you can delete all sections of SDSE.ini after "Parameters".

Jman

Thanks for your hard work on this version Lustar! Besides adding BFD2 support you have really refined the program to work smoother with SD2 and AD. It keeps getting better and better!  :patbat2box:
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

Perico

I don't know if it's ok to ask this question in this post but as an happy SDSE user I gonna do it. :)

Anybody knows if it's possible to extract from a BFD2 or SD2 snare only one articulation of this snare?
I just want the Sidestick (SD2) or SS (BFD2) sound to assign it to my snare rim!
Thanks for any help!

Lustar

SDSE 1.4 will have improvements to make it easier, but here's a quick way to do it for SD2 with the current version:

Open Reaper and the SDSE project, don't change any kit setting.

In Reaper, click on the "SNARE 1 RIM" region at the top of the screen, then
- press shift+9 to decrease the MIDI note
- press shift+0 to increase the MIDI note
the "Pitch" value is the MIDI note for that region.

change it to:
33 for Edge or Left
37 for Sidestick
68 for Muted
71 for Rim only

then export the snare as usual with "All" or "F1"
You'll get a Snare with the Center on Head and the sound you chose on Rim.

If you'd just like to export the Sidestick to the Rim, delete the SNARE1 region from the Region/Marker Manager (click on SNARE 1, press del), then adjust the pitch of "SNARE1 RIM" to 37.

You can also delete the "SNARE1 RIM" region and adjust "SNARE1" to 33 to export the Edge as Head.

Once you have a setting you'd like to use later you can save the Reaper Project as "SDSE_snarestick.rpp" to be able to quickly export snares like this another time. The project file must start with SDSE.

tower of p

I tried this using the "Rim only"-Sound as Rimsound of the dsnd (instead of the "Rimshot" sound), but it was no real improvement in my opinion, because the rimonly-sound is far too silent to be heard when you actually play a rimshot.

Yet it is a good option if you want to use sidestick, or the muted snaresound in sd2.

thanks a lot to you, lustar, for all those great improvements you constantly add to sdse!

Lustar

SDSE 1.4.0 is now available.

New features include an add-on to the DrumIt Five Editor, a new setting to choose the Snare Rim sound to be exported from all supported VST and support for the new Superior Drummer EZX.

The DrumIt Five Editor add-on allows you to set different pad layouts which is useful for people who split their toms to add more pads or use a custom setup.
Edit SDSE_DrumItFive.ini to your preference, when SDSE and the DrumIt Five Editor are both open you will get a personalized view.
Click on one of the numbered buttons to switch to one of the four layouts. The current layout setting is also used by SDSE to build .dkit files using your custom pad layout.
more details here

Here is the list of changes since 1.3.
  • DrumIt Five Editor add-on to set and display user-defined layouts (also used when creating a .dkit)
  • new option to set the Snare rim sound to be exported for all supported VSTs (rim,edge,sidestick,rimonly,mute)
  • support for the new Superior Drummer 2 EZX library
  • fixed DSoundTool not loading on 64-bit OS using the 32-bit version of SDSE
  • Layers are now set to Unlimited for Superior Drummer 2 v2.3.1 or more (no need to check this before exporting)
  • VST windows are attached to the Reaper dock if they are floating.

beppedrum

I created with SDSE, dnsd files of high quality!!
Unfortunately, I have the problem that I can only create files of ride and hi-hat
I can't generate a snare, kick or toms (SDSE don't run)!
Where I'm wrong?
Thanks in advance

Lustar

While Beppedrum's case is being investigated, SDSE 1.4.1 is now available with tiny pads for the DrumIt Five add-on.

Changelog:

• DrumIt Five add-on: support for the split Tom view when setting the Rim type to Pad8, Pad10 or Pad12 with the module

beppedrum

I'm really impressed with the after-sales service, which provides Lustar
He is precise and quick response and also very helpful
I recommend everyone SDSE!  :rock:

Lustar

SDSE 1.4.3 is out,

• fix to the DrumIt Five Editor add-on not displaying for everyone
  • Reaper dock area is scrolled if needed (so SDSE can be used on smaller screens).
  • fix to missing MIDI mapping prompt (for Avatar and Music City)

beppedrum