SDSE: export drum VSTs to .wav, .dsnd and .dkit in 1-click

Started by Lustar, November 23, 2012, 10:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you be interested in a Mac version of SDSE? (only vote if you are a Mac user)

Yes, a Mac version is a must for me
I would but I already use the Windows version on my Mac or notebook
No, free solutions like Boot Camp or VirtualBox are enough, keep the focus on supporting VSTs

Daniel

please please please make this program work with the analog drums samples (kontakt).

http://www.analoguedrums.com/

Daniel

i always get the "not enough memory" error from dsoundtool...

Lustar

In time the goal is to support more VSTs but I can't guarantee that it will work exactly the same as for Superior Drummer 2.
I see that you were in contact with Dylan from analoguedrums, perhaps he would be interested to help make this happen?

To fix this error message, please try the settings from this post, if it still doesn't work please send me an email and we'll figure it out.

Support for Addictive Drums is coming soon, Jman has already tested it and the first results are encouraging.
I added a poll to this topic, let's vote for the next VST to be supported after Addictive Drums!

Daniel

i tried the settings from the "out of memory" thread but it wont work. i had the same problems in the past with dsoundtool until i gave up using it. i really want to spend my $$$ on your great software as soon as it works for me.

Jman

Quote from: Danny on December 23, 2012, 07:04:34 PM
i tried the settings from the "out of memory" thread but it wont work. i had the same problems in the past with dsoundtool until i gave up using it. i really want to spend my $$$ on your great software as soon as it works for me.
You may also need to remove your Java app, then download and install the latest version. Lustar mentioned that earlier in the thread. I was running the Latest update of Java 6.37. I removed that and installed the new version 7 and so far it seems to be running smooth. One tip on the Java install, I had both 32 and 64bit versions on my PC. After uninstalling, I only installed the 32bit version and had problems ... turns out previously I was using the 64bit version. Once I installed the 64bit version all was well.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

Daniel

Quote from: Jman on December 23, 2012, 07:45:14 PM
You may also need to remove your Java app, then download and install the latest version. Lustar mentioned that earlier in the thread. I was running the Latest update of Java 6.37. I removed that and installed the new version 7 and so far it seems to be running smooth. One tip on the Java install, I had both 32 and 64bit versions on my PC. After uninstalling, I only installed the 32bit version and had problems ... turns out previously I was using the 64bit version. Once I installed the 64bit version all was well.

great! that did the trick!!

Daniel

i still have the problem with not enough memory on dsoundtool. mostly on the hihats and cymbals. it tried every solution which was discussed on the forum but it just wont work. i have a total von 4 GB RAM if that helps...

Lustar

With 4GB of RAM it will work for sure if you export one hihats dsnd at a time.
When you have exported several dsnd, make sure to close DSoundTool and open it again to get back free RAM. Also make sure to close any program that could be using RAM before exporting.

ddrummer68

I am primarily a Mac user, but will be buying this today, regardless.   I will pay again, for a Mac version, should one be released.  In the meantime, I'll break out the rarely-used Windows 7 PC.

One question, does SDSE have any way to address the snare/rimshot problem in SD?  Jman had talked about it previously, where you create a DSND and the higher velocities end up being rimshots.  That stopped me cold, because I hadn't yet had the time to go back in and edit out the 'rimshot' head sounds.

Lustar

To get rid of the highest snare velocities you could adjust the velocity in SD2 by lowering the left slider on the mapping page.
It's a matter of preference so you may not be bothered by it. In SD2 if you listen to the highest velocities by clicking at the bottom of the mapping page then compare to the sounds if you set the Snare to rimshot you'll see that they are not the same samples. To me it sounds like a snare receiving the most brutal hits and not exactly rimshots but it's true that the highest velocities sound different and contain the same resonance as rimshot sounds.

Jman

Like Lustar says lowering the highest velocity in the map settings will work if you want to eliminate the hits that sound similar to rimshots. Again, like Lustar mentioned that type of high velocity behavior/sound in SD2 bothers some, some like it. Honestly, there are some snares that I built and left the high velocities as is and I really love em ..... the NirZ snare is one of them. I love the way it plays and sounds with that powerful "Crack" on the loudest hits. Some other snares I removed it.

One tip on removing that sound layer .... it is not the same for every snare. If you lower the velocity from 128 to 127, then 127 to 126 .... etc. when you get to the layer where you no longer hear it, that's it ... some times that might be as low as 117 ... or even lower.
It is not only SD2 that behaves that way on snares ... SSD4 for one has some that do that.... but not all.

ddrummer68

SDSE is a great time saver, and is exactly what I've hoped for in using my Superior library with 2box.  Thank you!

I'm going to post one minor issue here, but want to be very clear that it is by no means insurmountable.  I'm only mentioning it, to share information, and in case anyone has any troubleshooting ideas.  I'll keep working on it myself as well.

When I use the "All" button in SDSE, it cannot seem to create the Hi-Hats properly in the Dsound tool.  From what I see on the screen, it gets to the point where it starts loading the various Hi-Hat wave files, but doesn't quite make it through that.  It's not completely consistent, but in the most recent example, the top 2 wav files (Bow Open and Bow 80 Open) appeared in the list.  The next 8 samples were left blank.  I could see the cursor tab through each of these, but no text appeared.  The Edge 20 Open box was filled in as referencing a crash cymbal dsnd (16 Sa Extra ThCr T HHDuo B_Na.dsnd).  The remaining 2 samples were left blank.

This happens every time I use the "All" button.  I've raised Dsound's memory to about 5GB, and I close the Dsound tool after every iteration of exporting samples.  The way I've chosen to work around this for now, is to export to WAV first, then come back and use the DSND button.  That seems to work fine.

Again, I do not want to sound like I'm complaining.  SDSE has made a tedious process much less so.  I am very thankful, Lustar, for the work that you and Jman have done to make this a reality.

Bobby

Jman

Quote from: ddrummer68 on December 28, 2012, 04:45:40 PM
SDSE is a great time saver, and is exactly what I've hoped for in using my Superior library with 2box.  Thank you!

I'm going to post one minor issue here, but want to be very clear that it is by no means insurmountable.  I'm only mentioning it, to share information, and in case anyone has any troubleshooting ideas.  I'll keep working on it myself as well.

When I use the "All" button in SDSE, it cannot seem to create the Hi-Hats properly in the Dsound tool.  From what I see on the screen, it gets to the point where it starts loading the various Hi-Hat wave files, but doesn't quite make it through that.  It's not completely consistent, but in the most recent example, the top 2 wav files (Bow Open and Bow 80 Open) appeared in the list.  The next 8 samples were left blank.  I could see the cursor tab through each of these, but no text appeared.  The Edge 20 Open box was filled in as referencing a crash cymbal dsnd (16 Sa Extra ThCr T HHDuo B_Na.dsnd).  The remaining 2 samples were left blank.

This happens every time I use the "All" button.  I've raised Dsound's memory to about 5GB, and I close the Dsound tool after every iteration of exporting samples.  The way I've chosen to work around this for now, is to export to WAV first, then come back and use the DSND button.  That seems to work fine.

Again, I do not want to sound like I'm complaining.  SDSE has made a tedious process much less so.  I am very thankful, Lustar, for the work that you and Jman have done to make this a reality.

Bobby

I'm sure Lustar will help ya out here. So, if I understand you correctly, SDSE stalls/freezes on you when building the HH dsnd. Just so ya know though ... that Hi Hat you mentioned is from the NY Allaire library. It isn't a crash, it's a HH built with crash cymbals (the only HH in Allaire). The stall is related to DsoundTool/Java. That stall/freeze is one of the things that I did have happen also. We went through a whole bunch of Beta versions and I haven't had it happen on mine in the latest versions. But like I say, Lustar will help you out. As you mentioned that it is not consistent, when it happened to me ..... it might happen one time, I would shut down/escape the program, start everything again, press ALL and everything would work fine. And it would work fine over and over from then on while working on more kits that session .... It seemed like a "bottleneck" type thing with DsoundTool .... at least my non tech description ...  :) Building the entire kit with the Hi Hat disabled/turned off in SD is a quick temporary solution. And then building the HH by itself on another pass ..... or doing the two steps you mentioned ..... J

Lustar

You may have already done it but just in case, the first thing I would do is double check the Java version. Sometimes you can have several versions of Java installed on the same computer. If you didn't try it already, uninstall all versions and install the 32 or 64-bit version from here.
I'm sending you an email with a possible solution.

Perico

Hi Lustar and all other SDSE users!
I'm waiting now for my retail box version of SD2. In between time I've installed an old Windows7 copy with bootcamp on my Mac Mini.
Could someone do some tutorials about all the process to do our own new dsnd files?
It could be very helpful for newbies like me and a good kick to encourage people to buy SDSE and Dsound tool.
Thanks again for sharing all those informations tips and tricks!