SDSE: export drum VSTs to .wav, .dsnd and .dkit in 1-click

Started by Lustar, November 23, 2012, 10:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you be interested in a Mac version of SDSE? (only vote if you are a Mac user)

Yes, a Mac version is a must for me
I would but I already use the Windows version on my Mac or notebook
No, free solutions like Boot Camp or VirtualBox are enough, keep the focus on supporting VSTs

Lustar

Hi Hatul,
As Jman said you can already export many EZX (EZDrummer) packs with SDSE if you have Superior Drummer 2. SDSE supports all SDX packs at the moment, but it doesn't support all of the EZX (look at the first post for a list). For the unsupported EZX I added as many kit pieces as possible with the current version so you can still export some pieces. Those EZX have unusual configurations so adding support for them means doing an exception for just one EZX that may not be interesting to many 2Box users. Now that at least one person requested it I'll look into adding a more complete support for the Percussion EZX :)

SDSE is updated to 1.4.5, with a small but interesting fix.
On some computers with UAC enabled it was possible that SDSE couldn't detect the path of your SDX or EZX if it wasn't installed in the default folder. You can now put the folder for an SDX or EZX anywhere, set its path in the Superior Drummer Settings and SDSE will detect it correctly.

Changes since 1.4.4
  • fix for reading SDX/EZX path on some computers with UAC enabled

Lustar

SDSE 1.4.6 is now available.
It didn't take a lot of days, but it took a lot of hours... ;)
This version adds support for all remaining EZX packs including Latin Percussion.
SDSE 1.4.6 supports all available SDX and EZX packs released by Toontrack so far.

To upgrade from a previous version:
- extract the new version in your current SDSE folder, overwrite all files (your configuration won't be overwritten)
- delete SDSE_Shrink.ini and SDSE_Zones.ini

Changelog since 1.4.5:
  • support for the following EZDrummer/Superior Drummer packs: Claustrophobic, Electronic, Latin Percussion, Number 1 Hits, Pop, Twisted Kit
  • improved .dsnd sorting in subfolders (3 zones crashes exported as rides are moved to the "Cymbal Crash" folder).

SDSE 1.4.7 fixes a mapping issue that affected Latin Percussion and an issue with detecting the EZX path.
If SDSE doesn't find your EZX pack when you export, go to the Superior Drummer 2 Settings page and check that your EZX is listed in the "Library" list.
If your EZX is not listed in the list of Libraries, click on "Add path to library", browse to the folder that contains your EZX pack (starts with "EZX_") and select the "Sounds" folder inside it.

BURNIN AMBITION

just bought sdse!!! thank you lustar. will post my opinions etc (of course it will be great), after i manage to clone my operation hdd to my new ssd. it is giving me hell and i am angry. hopefully by next week i will have everything set up to start creating dsnds!!!
and i have some other suprise i will also share with you in this awesome forum, but i am waiting for the right time. until then take care lads!!!!
2box, bengt, deve, digital drummer, Jman, Brian, Manfred thanx for everything

iola 11
http://www.facebook.com/iola11
www.reverbnation.com/iola11
https://soundcloud.com/iola11
https://twitter.com/iola11band
www.youtube.com/iola11band
www.myspace.com/iola11

giusfre

Great tool and great man! Lustar help me a lot to make everithing works fine! Thanks

Murgen

--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012

edcito

I just did my first dsnd's with the software but it took 1 1/2 hours to complete and had a lot of midi.wav files so I ended up with a 25GB folder! What did I do wrong? I used evil drums in windows 7 32 bit.

And according to the read me file, we have to deactivate the humanize functions and set the mapping to default, why is this necessary?

Also, I have some mixer presets saved as combined presets, do I have to load a default preset when exporting or can I use my own mixer preset?

Lustar

It means SDSE couldn't detect your VST so it exported everything (but this shouldn't be the behaviour of recent SDSE versions).

Humanize settings in SD2 don't help at all to export samples, at least that's my opinion (it adds permanent randomness to the resulting .dsnd). In SDSE 1.5 you won't have to check this at all, it will automatically disable all Humanize settings.
You only have to set the mapping to default if you changed it previously, if you never changed this you don't need to touch it.

You can use any preset you'd like when exporting, what is set in SD2 is what will be exported. To export dry sounds I'd recommend building a kit with the Construct menu.

I'm sending a mail to find out what went wrong.

Edit:
Result of the investigations: it seems to have been a one-off issue, problem apparently solved :) The next version of SDSE will have a small improvement to avoid all .wav files to be created if it ever happens again.

Lustar

SDSE 1.5 is now available.

It is now possible to export from EZdrummer and all the libraries it supports.
Superior Drummer is not required anymore to export from EZX libraries.
If you have both Superior and EZdrummer you may prefer to use EZdrummer to export EZX libraries because it loads them a bit faster than Superior.

The names of the .dsnd folders now include the sound library.
When SDSE exports to .dsnd it sorts them in subfolders named using the instrument type and the short name for the current VST.
If you copy those folders on your SD card using the same flat structure you can browse all of your .dsnd in one movement (turning a knob).
Starting with 1.5 the short name for the sound library is added to the folder name: "Cymbal Crash SD2NY" for Superior Drummer 2 Avatar.
This makes it even easier to manage .dsnd from different libraries on your SD card since they are already sorted in folders.
It also makes it easier to find pieces from a particular sound library on the DrumIt Five screen since the folder name appears on its own line (the .dsnd filenames also include the library short name as a suffix but this information is often hidden on the DrumIt Five screen because the filename is bigger than 16 characters).
Set "Sort .dsnd in subfolders: Add Library Short Name=0" in SDSE.ini if you only want the VST name to be added to the folder name: "Cymbal Crash SD2".

To upgrade from a previous version:
- delete SDSE_Shrink.ini, SDSE_AD.ini, SDSE_BFD.ini, SDSE_SD.ini and SDSE_Zones.ini from your current SDSE folder
- extract the new version in your current SDSE folder, overwrite all files (your configuration won't be overwritten)

The price for the full version has increased to reflect all the changes since the first release.
If you contacted me in the past about SDSE but didn't get a license because you waited to be set up to get started please send me a message.

Changelog since 1.4.7:
  • support to export from EZdrummer and its core library (Pop/Rock)
  • support for BFD2 expansion packs 8-Bit Kit and Big Orchestral Marching Band
  • support for the Addictive Drums Session Percussion ADpak
  • improved several checks like waiting for samples to finish loading
  • all Humanize settings are disabled for Superior Drummer 2 and EZdrummer (no need to check this anymore before exporting)
  • .dkit building is faster for SD2 and EZdrummer (it won't wait to load all samples when building a .dkit with F4)
  • fixed missing toms and cymbals when building .dkit
  • Tom .dsnd are now distributed to fill all available Tom pads when building a .dkit (so you'll just have to tune the extra Toms)
  • new option to add the Library short name when sorting .dsnd in subfolders (enabled by default: "Cymbal Crash SD2NY")
  • fixed issues with the DrumIt Five Editor add-on
  • all supported VST are enabled in the Reaper project when completing a task (to get sound for all and not just the one that is currently checked)
  • if you don't have some of the supported VSTs SDSE will close the Reaper warning window about missing VSTs

edcito

Works like a charm now! Thanks a lot for the support lustar!
Now I just want to ask how to export xdrums also? They weren't exported.... do I have to modify some settings in the .ini file?

Lustar

For Superior Drummer 2 x-drums are exported like any other part but you have to make sure they are set to the default MIDI note for that part and that the same part is enabled in the kit. When you add an x-drum to quickly set its mapping use "MIDI > Steal Default". You can also use x-drums as layers and in this case the result is what will be exported, as long as the kit piece is enabled in the main kit.

roel

I  got SDSE 1.5 and it works! what a great tool! now I can make those great sounding kits that I always wanted.
THANK YOU LUSTAR!

Jman

Quote from: roel on April 16, 2013, 07:00:37 PM
I  got SDSE 1.5 and it works! what a great tool! now I can make those great sounding kits that I always wanted.
THANK YOU LUSTAR!

Cool, congrats Roel. Building those high quality VST dsnds will give you new drumming inspiration for sure and insight into what the powerful 2Box module is capable of ... J
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

roel

Quote from: Jman on April 16, 2013, 08:19:24 PM
Cool, congrats Roel. Building those high quality VST dsnds will give you new drumming inspiration for sure and insight into what the powerful 2Box module is capable of ... J

Thank you, yesterday I convert all the EZ Drummer Expansion Packs. SDSE 1.5 works perfect!

Lundin

Hello all
I began converting all my expansions for Superior drummer yesterday with SDSE 1.5 and after a little mental "settling in issue", brainwise (I haven't used it in a while) This little program works so well and it's waaaay to cheap for what time it saves ;)

@ Lustar: Sometimes sounds doesn't get converted into a .dsnd evn though i use "All" from SDSE even though they're sampled to disc and i see the wavefiles showing up in the library.

Why is this? Is it a setting in the Reaper project that excludes some files from being converted?

Lustar

Sorry, I didn't see your message sooner (for some reason I didn't receive a mail alert from the forum).

If you notice leftover .wav files after SDSE has completed its task they are most likely extra Hats articulations that couldn't be used. Most SDX have less articulations than the maximum allowed in a .dsnd, but some have a little bit more. When exporting Hats SDSE makes some adjustments like reducing the amount of articulations, expanding them to even out bow/edge, preferring bow sounds to bell sounds when both are available. When there are too many articulations to fit a .dsnd it will use as much as possible and won't delete the unused .wav files (you can safely delete them if you don't need them). There are settings in SDSE.ini to fine tune all of this or if you'd like to export two versions of some Hats, one with bow/edge and another with bell/edge, or one version with tight sounds and another without.
Hopefully this is what you noticed, if not please send me a mail and I'll make sure to look into it.