MIDI - What notes should be assigned ? Note separation ? - SOLVED

Started by 6828, November 16, 2012, 11:33:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G'day all,

I'm connecting my 2Box brain into a MIDI to USB box into Logic on my Mac and things are working pretty well apart from getting a double trigger on the TOM 1.

TOM1 seems to trigger the Cymbal 3 and other stuff.

I've checked the assigned notes for all the TOM's etc and they are all different.

How close should the notes be ? or doesn't it matter ?

I want the MIDI score to be neat and tidy and not split by big separations.

MIDI is making me mad, so much fiddling around, but it's vital because I'm recording the MIDI track and the sound output at the same time. That way I can change the drum samples later depending on how I want it to appear in a mix.

Cheers.

Tony

fishmonkey

if you are getting strange triggering then the problem is most likely in your software setup. it doesn't matter how close together the notes are together, as long as they are distinct.

unfortunately you can't change the MIDI notes that the 2 Box module outputs, so if you want to change them you need to convert them on the fly, with something like Bome's MIDI Translator.

Logic has extensive MIDI capabilities, so you could no doubt do the translation there too, however i never enjoyed using Logic's MIDI environment...

Got it sorted.

There was an overlap of channels for each trigger. In the UNIT config area I've set each trigger within the 127 set available.

The cymbals needed about 5 unit separation because without that kind of separation things like the choke would trigger the next cymbal.

Tom1 = 4
Tom1 Edge = 8

Tom2 = 12
Tom2 Edge = 16

Tom3 = 20
Tom3 Edge = 24

Tom4 = 28
Tom4 Edge = 32

HiHat = 40

Kick = 46

Snare = 50
Snare Edge = 55

Cymbal 1 = 60
Cymbal 2 = 65
Cymbal 3 = 70

Version OS = 1.24
Boot = 1.32

This is how I got into the number assignment. Push the middle button to change from hard to understand notes to numbers from the value of 0 through to 127

fishmonkey

ha, that shows you how long it has been since i last recorded MIDI from the 2Box!

tower of p

Quote from: 6828 on November 16, 2012, 11:33:14 PM
MIDI to USB box

Hello Tony,

I just want to do the same, connect the 2box-brain to my mac, so that I can record midi-data. What kind of "Midi to USB-box" do I need for that? (my soundcard only has a MIDI-OUT-port, no MIDI-IN)
do you think, this will work: http://www.amazon.de/LOGILINK-USB-MIDI-Adapter-Kabel/dp/B000XRI3CC/ref=pd_cp_computers_0 ?

thanks for your help,
Lutz