News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

hearing tom head sound and rim

Started by Greg the groove, November 03, 2012, 01:50:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg the groove

hello all, Im having a little problem that I am hearing the tom sound and its rim on one of my toms when I hit it. I think its only happening when I hit it harder? I am using Roland TD30 pads. Any ideas? Its weird in that it is only happening on one pad and not the others. Thank you

KevH

I have the same issue with one of my Diamonds.

Jman

Quote from: Greg the groove on November 03, 2012, 01:50:54 AM
hello all, Im having a little problem that I am hearing the tom sound and its rim on one of my toms when I hit it. I think its only happening when I hit it harder? I am using Roland TD30 pads. Any ideas? Its weird in that it is only happening on one pad and not the others. Thank you
If I understand you right it sounds like your Tom rim threshold might need to be raised. If you are hitting the head and the rim is sounding raise your threshold for the Rim. It is a good idea to go through all your pads and do some tweaking of Gain and Threshold. To set gain .... Check to make sure the velocity is only maxing out on your hardest hits, and that goes for each zone of each pad. Check that threshold is set high enough so that you do not get false triggering, but low enough that your lighter hits are detected.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

Nico

Enabling X-talk (low,med or high) on rims might help.

edcito

Roland Pads are known to be too hot for the 2box. I tried the older series pd1x5-x and didn't manage to set them up right. I guess now with the new developed rim triggering of the new pd1x8 series the issue got worst..... and these new pads are hotter....

edtc

Quote from: edcito on November 07, 2012, 01:14:48 PM
Roland Pads are known to be too hot for the 2box. I tried the older series pd1x5-x and didn't manage to set them up right. I guess now with the new developed rim triggering of the new pd1x8 series the issue got worst..... and these new pads are hotter....

pd1x5-x , pd1x8 ?   what are those  ?   

I have PDX-8 and PD-85 and they both work well with the 2box module ... i dont use the rim , but i never elt that the head sensor was too hot  ...

edcito

I meant the pd105x and the pd125x, you know, the shiny chrome pads with interchangeable wraps. Are you still using your pdx8's? I'm asking because I own 2 pdx6 and 2 pdx8 and I'm seriously considering coming back to the orange side 8)

edtc

yes , i still use one PDX8 and it works great for me ...

edcito

Quote from: edtc on March 25, 2013, 02:08:57 PM
yes , i still use one PDX8 and it works great for me ...

awesome, mind sharing your trigger settings?

edtc

gain 1 , tresh: 44  curve norm ... but i dont use tre rim sensor ...

edcito

Quote from: edtc on March 25, 2013, 10:44:46 PM
gain 1 , tresh: 44  curve norm ... but i dont use tre rim sensor ...

Are you splitting the pad? I'm having the oppsite problem as the OP, my kit toys splash and china splitted from the tom1 and tom2 rims trigger the head sound.... I've tried with gain and threshold but still cant get a clean rim sound...

edtc

Quote from: Ed on March 26, 2013, 11:50:01 PM
Are you splitting the pad? I'm having the oppsite problem as the OP, my kit toys splash and china splitted from the tom1 and tom2 rims trigger the head sound.... I've tried with gain and threshold but still cant get a clean rim sound...

Are you sure the cable you use are splitters ?  it sounds like you have a headphone doubler...

edcito

Quote from: edtc on March 27, 2013, 10:43:40 AM
Are you sure the cable you use are splitters ?  it sounds like you have a headphone doubler...

Yep, I'm using splitters form drumsplitters.com. I have good news, after fiddling around more this morning I now have perfect response from all my pdx pads :patbat2box:

Now to get those cy14 and cy15 on board ::)

Jman

Quote from: Ed on March 27, 2013, 03:34:30 PM
Yep, I'm using splitters form drumsplitters.com. I have good news, after fiddling around more this morning I now have perfect response from all my pdx pads :patbat2box:

Now to get those cy14 and cy15 on board ::)
Those splitters from Drumsplitters.com are not for the 2Box module. Those are specific splitters that are made for splitting the tom or aux. inputs of the Roland TD-9/11/15/20 or TD-30 modules. Definitely NOT what you want for the 2Box tom inputs. Those Roland modules are not splittable with any splitters available in retail stores. You want something like this for the 2Box module:
http://www.avalive.com/Hosa/YPP-117/47237/productDetail.php?utm_source=bingShopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_content=YPP-117
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

edcito

Quote from: Jman on March 28, 2013, 02:24:44 AM
Those splitters from Drumsplitters.com are not for the 2Box module. Those are specific splitters that are made for splitting the tom or aux. inputs of the Roland TD-9/11/15/20 or TD-30 modules. Definitely NOT what you want for the 2Box tom

You're right señor jman, I just assumed those splitters would do it but nope, I had a couple of those hosa y cables you pointed me at and plugged them into the module and voila! No need to crank up the xtalk on my pdx! No more triggering the head when hitting the splitted rim!