News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Snare Settings

Started by 10keven, August 19, 2012, 07:13:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

10keven

Hello fellow 2Box friends...

I wanted to "poll" the forum to get a better understanding of whether my personal snare settings for triggering are acceptable or way off..

I ask because I find the snare quite loud or (hot) generally and its very hard to get a quiet ghost note across so I end up keeping the stick raised after a  snare hit rather than my normal style of hitting the second ghost hit to add feel..

Im using a Jobeky snare so I understand feel and style are very subjective but I was just getting a feel of my settings.. I have gain set to around 2 and threshold set to 38 other than that.. Oh !! I have changed the "pad" from a 12" to a 10" and that has helped a little.. (not sure why)..

If nothing else, if a few people add their settings, it might be a good resource for other people to use as a frame of reference perhaps..

Best Wishes

Kev

edtc

if the trig signal is too hot , you can add a resistance between the piezo and the jack ...

10keven

Ooo.. Ok.. thats got my ears pricked up now.. just worried about my technical prowess (or lack of it)

I like to play both hard and soft and everything in between.. quite a wide dynamic range really..  Ive been thinking that compared to my old Roland PD100 and TD12, Im never gonna be able to to reproduce that feel..

On the TD12, once id dialed the snare in, it was incredible the way every nuance would play..

But when I first got my Jobeky snare and 2Box module.. I just cant play the same range.. Ghost notes just seem so loud hence my post.. Your solution is thinking out of the box so to speak but how would I go about setting that up ?.. WHen you say resistance, are you referring to a physical resistor ?

fishmonkey

before you do anything else, have you played around with the different velocity curve settings? it sounds like one of the negative curve settings would suit your snare better.

10keven

Thats a thought... I havent tried that because the TD12 wasnt adjusted to get a good feel.. But I have the snare at home so I can give it a go tomorrow.. Thanks for that idea FM..

edtc

Quote from: 10keven on August 20, 2012, 01:14:30 AM
WHen you say resistance, are you referring to a physical resistor ?

yes a resistor ... i understood the triggering was "too hot" .... if it s not the case , a resistor wont help .. just check you  reach velocity 127 only with hardest hits . If it s impossible even at Odb gain , you ll need one :)

As Fish said , after you set the optimal gain , curves will help to adapt the response ...

try to lower the treshold a bit and give the different curves a try....

Also , IMO , the level of ghost notes may vary from Dsound to Dsound , as it depends how they were recorded ...

edtc

... by the way , i was saying that refering to an older post from a guy who had problems with a Jobeky kit...  here s the link.... http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php?topic=912.msg8843#msg8843

Rider

i have the same problem with the stock 2box pad. I have the gain at 0.

Although this varies between samples mostly, some are louder than others so ghost notes are better on some samples.