News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Gavin Harrison SONOR Kit

Started by 10keven, August 19, 2012, 05:13:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

10keven

Hi Everyone....

Some of you may know that im a huge Gavin Harrison fan.. If your not familiar with his skill then I implore you to check out these vids on you tube to get a handle on his talent and for me his "sound"..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxqWiRCg4mM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bedjJzQu6Lk

my favourite one.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMGGE2AdGZY

Im looking to recreate the kit which is a SONOR kit (made in Germany) but I need a pointer from anyone who may know..

Is there a SONOR kit in SD2 or an expansion pack for BFD or does anyone know a drum software system that I can buy that would give me a SONOR kit that I can edit till I get it sounding just right.. ?

Best Wishes to all my 2box buddies..  :-)

Rider

I think the mr. philips from stock kits with some eq and fx sound fairly close to the gavin kit ( except snare , hats and ride) i think the snare is really hard to get is a 12 with a lot of body and low ends.

Jman

Toontrack Metal Foundry for SD2 is one of my favorite VST packs. Huge amount of drums and cymbals in that pack including 3 Sonor kits with 5 toms each, SQ2, DS1 and a DS2 kit. All really nice sounding kits. I would think with some fiddling on mixer settings you could get something close to the sound of the Gavin kit. Snare, as Rider mentioned might be more elusive.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

10keven

Mmm.. I use that kit a lot.. mostly for the toms and bass drums although Ive just changed it to a really nice Steven Slate bass drum that has a lot of punch but is quite muted..

The snare is definitely the most difficult to replicate as you say.. but you mentioned 12" so im wondering if I find something similar in BFD and cut upper frequencies and yet try to give it a little punch.. Grrrr.. back to the drawing board..

But at least starting with a Maple 12" might yield a starting point.. However, I found this reference on the web.. wondered what people might think ?...

The Control Centre has announced the release of Sonor Drums, a Drum Rack for Ableton Live, featuring 66 velocity layered, multi-samples of a Sonor Force 505 drum kit with vintage hi-hats and cymbals.

The rack contains samples of a Sonor 18″ Kick Drum, 12″ Snare Drum, 14″ Floor Tom, 12″ Low Tom, 10″ High Tom, 1950′s Zyn Hi-Hats, Premier 12″ Crash, Rude 10″ Heavy Splash, Premier 12″ China Cymbal and some finger snaps.

The samples were recorded with 4 velocity layers as 24bit 44k WAV files. A collection of MIDI clips and a Live project are also included (requires Live 8.2.8.).

Sonor Drums is available to purchase for $5 USD.

More information: The Control Centre / Sonor Drums

10keven

Thanks for that post regarding SD2.. Im going straight to have a look..  :animal:     although Ive just realised I have 5GB left on my Macbook hard drive.. Damn it..

rythm

I´m also a fan of Harrison, both his delicate drumming and kit-sounds. It was a joy seeing him perform Blackest Eyes a couple of years ago.  :)

edcito

Quote from: 10keven on August 20, 2012, 01:26:01 AM
Thanks for that post regarding SD2.. Im going straight to have a look..  :animal:     although Ive just realised I have 5GB left on my Macbook hard drive.. Damn it..

Time to ditch the cd drive and get a second hard drive! :rock:

10keven

My Macbook drive is 160gb now nearly full with Logic Studio, BFD2, BFD Eco and Steven Slate.. Oh my...

Ive priced a 750GB 7400rpm internal drive for £130.. Fitted.. 1I could get an external drive but its more to carry and dont like firewire...

Now that SD2 has SONOR kits, im going to have to save and buy that now lol..

StudioG4

Regarding "The Control Centre / Sonor Drums", is this usable as pure wav samples or do you have to have Ableton in order to access the samples to build DSNDs? Tony G

edcito

Quote from: 10keven on August 22, 2012, 03:30:02 PM
My Macbook drive is 160gb now nearly full with Logic Studio, BFD2, BFD Eco and Steven Slate.. Oh my...

Ive priced a 750GB 7400rpm internal drive for £130.. Fitted.. 1I could get an external drive but its more to carry and dont like firewire...

Now that SD2 has SONOR kits, im going to have to save and buy that now lol..

What I meant is that there's something called "data doubler" which consists of a caddy and a hard drive. You have to remove the cd drive from your mac and put these caddy instead. Haven't you heard of this? That way you can put your original hard drive into the Cd caddy and the new hard drive in the hard drive bay.
I hope I made myself clearer. You can find more info here:
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DDAMBS0GB/

You don't have to buy this but it gives you an idea of what I mean.

10keven

Wow

I had no idea.. Thanks for that.. sounds like a plan.. My DVD drive is broke anyway so Ill look into this.. Many thanks..  :-)

Of course I can even do this and at a later date upgrade my core HD to get over 1TB storage data.. More than enough for all the sound libraires and DSOUNDS my heart can create..

Rider

i have the metal foundry and the sonor kits are cool , but not really that close to the gavin sound , although im not that good in the mixer area. But the closest i heard on a vst for sure

sn47som

the closest thing to gavin harris' sound would be the x shell samples in the module from the factory. just scoop the mids a little bit and boost the highs a little with the onboard eq in the module and voila!

fankelomia

I think XLN Audios Addictive Drums 2 - Studio Pop is a Sonor Designer Drumset.
Maybe this would do the trick?

btw - does anyone have this ADPack and can tell me if it has rimshots on the toms?
Since XLN Audio decided to sell Addictive Drums 2 with a custom option i am quite intrigued...

nocturnodrummer

All toms from Addictive drums have rim shot sampled and available.Well, the only one that hasn't is the brushed premier kit from jazz library. It has sort of like a flam instead.