News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

hihat settings

Started by alpererdogan, June 14, 2012, 01:46:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alpererdogan

I am wondering which triggering setting that people use for hihat.
Gain and treshold values that you are using.
If i increase the gain value more than 16, hihat trigger sounds two times (not if pedal is closed) even hit only one note. Is this a problem or only about settings?
Also many people use their hihat with another hihat stand, is this a solution for double trigger?

Manfred

Hi,

doesn't sound like a problem to me. You should set the gain in a way that your strongest hits trigger the maximum level. Gain and Thresh-Settings are there that you are able to adapt brain to the pad and to your playing style.

Its not a fault if it doesn't work perfect with all possible combinations of settings. You have to find the right settings for your kit and your playing style. Thats all.

Regards, Manfred

PS.  I use Gain 4 and Thresh -36 for the hihat.

Murgen

Hi guys,

Can you help me a bit, I need some directions.

I love the sound of some of my hihats, very realistic. However, I think I can do more in the settings to get some effects while playing and using the pedal. Somehow I just cannot get it done properly.

What is the best setting to start with and how do you work through the settings to get the best of it?

Much obliged. I got the sensitivity right and the chick is cool too. But the little things in between ....  :drum1:
--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012

fishmonkey

are you using the 2 Box hihat stand, or another one?

Murgen

Quote from: fishmonkey on August 13, 2012, 01:22:05 AM
are you using the 2 Box hihat stand, or another one?

Replaced it. Much more agility now.
--------

fishmonkey

a weak return spring seems to be a common issue with the stock hihat. this is a problem because the 2 Box module generates pedal height messages only very briefly after a strike on the hihat. so if the hihat opens too slowly, all nuances between different pedal heights are lost in translation...

Murgen

I have 2 hihatstands in test to replace the default one.

- Pearl H-1000 (because my acoustic kit is a Pearl MHX and I love it).
- Drumcraft HHDB-8 - the one without legs.

Both have a adjustable spring setting and the Pearl is ~ twice the price of the drumcraft.

The Drumcraft is the most easy one, 1 to 1 replacement of the default standard, the 2Box holder fits perfectly and the stand is in use now. I will post my experience soon (so far a backdrop are the holes in the footboard, feels weird playing with bare feet).

The Pearl has retractable feet but I have only used with the legs in place. However, I want to start playing double bass and that is why I want to create floor-place and I hate standards in general :) (so far I enjoyed playing on the Pearl, feels good and it operated quite natural).

In general I feel a bit clumsy regarding the hihat. I tried to adjust all settings to my liking. But some nifty things just does not work and I cannot figure it out if it is me and my settings or just the impossibility to re-create analogue hihat-effects on an electronic device for 100 %. Anyway open, close, the chick sound and a mildly effect works quite good besides the fact that now and then the hihat thinks I want an open sound where I really closed it.

The idea to create a chart with a step-by-step approach to tweak the settings is very good but I will start to read the manual another time.
--------

fishmonkey

the weak point of electronic hihats is the limited range of nuances between fully closed and fully open.

at most, a single set of hihat samples has recordings for closed, 1/4 open, 1/2 open, and 3/4 open, open, and maybe foot chick. and many hihat samples do not even have all those levels.

Jman

Quote from: fishmonkey on August 24, 2012, 10:54:11 PM
the weak point of electronic hihats is the limited range of nuances between fully closed and fully open.

at most, a single set of hihat samples has recordings for closed, 1/4 open, 1/2 open, and 3/4 open, open, and maybe foot chick. and many hihat samples do not even have all those levels.

There are exceptions to that though. Superior Drummer is one. Many Hi Hats have Closed, Tight Closed, Open 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 for Tip and Edge .... plus foot splash.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

fishmonkey

yep, but it's still not enough levels to get really fine hihat work happening, if you are a true lover of the hihat as an instrument...

the other side of the issue is triggering. the 2 Box module has a pretty decent hihat triggering scheme, similar to the higher end Roland method, but it still a compromise. a continuous stream of pedal height messages is transmitted for after a strike, but only for a quite brief period.

Murgen

Thank you gentlemen for sharing. Any advice/recommendations regarding the stock hihats and downloads from the website, which ones have the most layers?
--------