News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

DSNDs from Addictive Drums

Started by digitalDrummer, May 23, 2012, 04:25:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

digitalDrummer

Here is a step-by-step guide to brewing DSNDs from Addictive Drums using Reaper. thanks to the DSND pioneers who worked out the methods for SD and BFD. The logic here is the same; it's just the tools that are a bit different.

It seems that Addictive Drums is quite popular and therefore represents a good potential donor of samples for the 2box module.
Of course, AD requires a host, and initially used the VSTHost product with which
I initially created some DSNDs. However, that program has its limitations, and I have subsequently moved to Reaper. I'll preface the next bit with an admission that I knew nothing about Reaper a week ago and have picked up a few things as I have gone along, thanks mostly to the DSND process using SD or BFD.
So here goes:

1)   Open Reaper and insert a VST instrument into a blank project:
Insert>Virtual instrument on new track
This gives you a list of VST instruments (if you have set up Reaper correctly).
Select Addictive Drums.

At the Build Routing Configuration dialog box, select "no". This reduces AD's output to two channels.

2)   Add a MIDI track. The process of creating a MIDI track has been extensively covered elsewhere. Suffice it say that DSoundTool does an excellent job.
Insert>Media File (select file)

The VST Instrument is indicated by the blue diamond; the MIDI performance by the orange triangle

3)   Go back to AD (click the FX button), choose a kit, modify the levels, FX etc until you're happy with the sounds and then go to the MIDI Map area (in the BEATS pane).
Select your instrument for sampling (in this case, we're doing a snare). Choose the articulation you want in the middle pane (it has a hand showing on the selected option) and drag that hand to the appropriate MIDI note on the virtual keyboard on the right hand side.

We have selected Open Hit and dragged it to C2. Hit OK and close AD.
?

4)   Hit play to make sure you are getting the instrument you selected. You should only get one instrument as AD seems to bump off the instrument previously associated with that note. Once you're satisfied you have the correct note, you are ready to render...
5)   Go to File>render

I used most of the default settings except for:
Sample Rate: 44100; WAV bit depth: 24 bit PCM.
Hit "Render 1 file" and watch your .wavs being generated – it's really quick. Watch the waveforms and if they look too high or too low at the outset, adjust the volume in the VST window on the left.

... and that's it. All done and ready to convert using DSoundTool

Note that the process is almost the same for all VSTs. Some have a MIDI learn function which makes it much easier to select the instrument and articulation. Simply select the articulation, hit the MIDI learn button, close the VST and hit play in the Reaper performance window. Usually, the first hit is silent, then the instrument is heard from the second one on...

(There may be some tweaks and refinements required that I am not aware of, but I have succeeded in getting some excellent sounds out using this process and mostly default settings. If anyone has any additional suggestions to improve the process, please let me know and I'll update this.)

Here's a PDF version: http://issuu.com/digitaldrummer/docs/dsnds_from_addictive_drumswith screenshots.

Haggis-man

Thanks for the tutorial.

I have only ever used BFD but Addictive looks interesting. How does it compare to BFD in terms of sound quality and number of hits per instrument?

Thanks!

digitalDrummer

Hi Brian,
I can't determine the actual number of native samples in AD, but I think the software processing masks any deficiency. Overall, the samples are perhaps a bit less rich than BFD, but there are some good presets and a huge variety of kits sounds at a very modest price. It would certainly be easy to find two dozen gigable kits covering a range of genres.

Drumaster

Hello!

I have a question: are BFD2 samples as good when they are in a 2Box module (converted into .dsnd) than natively in BFD2? I mean, can we say the 2Box has the same sound quality than a good VST?

Thanks!

digitalDrummer

Some would say they're even better because there's almost zero latency. The one thing that's lacking in the module is the ability to dial up ambiance, so you have to add that to the samples pre-loading. If the mmodule ever gets ambiance control, it will be so much easier to load dry sounds.

Haggis-man

Yes! it would be great to see an ambience control in the module! This would give us a lot more flexibility, with the added benefit of smaller DSND'S due the exported sounds being dry.

Do you think we will have to wait for a new module before we see this?

Cheers

edtc

Quote from: Brian-D (Haggis-man) on May 23, 2012, 11:54:25 AM
Yes! it would be great to see an ambience control in the module! This would give us a lot more flexibility, with the added benefit of smaller DSND'S due the exported sounds being dry.

Do you think we will have to wait for a new module before we see this?

Cheers

I m not engeneer , but from what i ve understood , the DRUMIT5's processor wont have enough power to generate a quality realtime  room reverb .... 

Ambient reverb  needs much more power than a simple or dual delay , or a flanger ( that is a fast delay with some modulation )

But there are still possibilities to do this outside the module .... 

If you have a console with an AUX send , and a reverb processor , or even with a computer within a DAW ...

i do it sometimes , with Ableton live  .
It s easy to add some reverb to the channel where you plugged the module's mix out ... 

a good trick is to set the track output in "sends only" mode , so you just have the effect playing from the DAW , while you monitor the dry drum directly ( to avoid latency of course )  If there is a small pre-delay on the effect , it s not a big deal ....

I do it like this ( on the stereo mix)because it s quick and enough to play with , but if you feel so , you can use multiple outputs from the module , and put more reverb on some instruments ....

Of course you ll need a good sound card to do this ...

edtc

This gave me an idea for a next OS release ...

We could have the possibility to use the FX send within the module , but without built in effect , just that we can route this send to a phisical out of the module , then plug this output to an effect processor ( or computer )  , and finally feed the effect back into the module using the LINE IN ....

This way you can send what you want to the effect , and also set the return level within the module without a mixer ...

Without an effect , this feature could be also nice for those who need a different mix in their monitor than the stereo out ....

Also , for once this is an upgrade that dont need more CPU power or long research ;)  (in fact even less cpu power ...)
IMO , it could be a new FX ( called AUX BUS i.e. ) that just transmits the sound pre or post fader , like a cable , from FX in to FX out ... and the possibility to route this signal to a discrete  audio out ( stereo or even mono could be enough  for an FX send ...)