News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Cleaning the rubber on the cymbals

Started by Haggis-man, April 12, 2012, 07:18:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haggis-man

Hi all,

What's the best way to clean the rubber on the cymbals? I've noticed they are a magnet for dust and the dust doesn't want to come off easily!

Cheers

boekhour

I use a regular interior cleaner for cars from Poorboys, suitable for plastics, soft interior stuff etc. Works perfectly. "Poorboys World Bio-Degradable All Purpose Cleaner & Degreaser"

http://www.carclean.nl/product/Poorboys_World/Bio-Degradable_All_Purpose_Cleaner_Degreaser_946ml_PB-APC32_100712.aspx

digitalDrummer

Don't use anything other than 303 Protectant. Anything else will permeate into the rubber and over time discolour it.
See: http://www.303products.com/shop303/index.cfm/category/65/303-aerospace-protectant.cfm
It immediately restores cymbals and rim protector and doesn't leave an oily trace.

boekhour

Quote from: digitalDrummer on April 12, 2012, 09:42:00 AM
Don't use anything other than 303 Protectant. Anything else will permeate into the rubber and over time discolour it.

Nothing wrong with the listed poorboys product either!It is suitable for rubber also.

digitalDrummer

Quote from: boekhour on April 12, 2012, 08:12:49 PM
Nothing wrong with the listed poorboys product either!It is suitable for rubber also.
I'm sure that may work, but the thing with 303 is that there are people who have been using it on e-cymbals for many years, so we know there is no long-term effect. For me, that makes it worth spending an extra few bucks (if indeed it is more expensive). I wouldn't take a chance, especially with costly items like e-hi-hats.

boekhour

Quote from: digitalDrummer on April 12, 2012, 11:16:57 PM
I'm sure that may work, but the thing with 303 is that there are people who have been using it on e-cymbals for many years, so we know there is no long-term effect. For me, that makes it worth spending an extra few bucks (if indeed it is more expensive). I wouldn't take a chance, especially with costly items like e-hi-hats.

My audis interieur is even more expensive  ;-) with also delicate matrials and I'm using it for some years now, every two months, with no problems at all! I think there is no such a statement "this s the only good product". There are more good products which will succeed in doing the job in a save manner.

Hawkeyez

I use a fairly damp cloth/towel (not paper-towel) and I get good results.  Looks new after wiping them down.  I use another dry cloth to soak up left over beads of water.  I think it works good and water is definitely safe to use.

Haggis-man

Well I got a bottle of 303 and I have to say it works really well! It was only £10 for a small bottle but I think this will last me for some time.

Cheers