News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

MIDI recording - interface issue ?

Started by 6828, March 11, 2012, 06:02:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

G'day all,

I've been trying to get the MIDI info coming out of my module into Logic Pro 9 on my Mac but I am having all sort of headache inducing issues.

I'm using either a  MIDI to USB device and a Midibox 4x4 device and I'm not having any luck.

If I load Audio MIDI setup Utility I can't get the incoming MIDI to trigger correctly. Output is fine.

I downloaded MIDI Monitor and it is showing "From port 1 Invalid 3 bytes"

So I'm not sure what to do.

I'm not really wanting to buy another MIDI interface for my Mac without confirming that the 2Box brain is actually sending out the right signal.

I can trigger MIDI from Logic Pro 9 without any issues at all I just can't record them.

Suggestions ?

Cheers.

Tony

digitalDrummer

Did you go through the Add device procedure and pull the triangles to connect your devices?

Quote from: digitalDrummer on March 11, 2012, 07:02:26 AM
Did you go through the Add device procedure and pull the triangles to connect your devices?

I sure did.

I'm at a loss to work out why this isn't working.

Tony

digitalDrummer

fishmonkey

is your MIDIBOX working with other MIDI devices?

Quote from: fishmonkey on March 11, 2012, 01:37:05 PM
is your MIDIBOX working with other MIDI devices?

Apart from my old Roland D-20 Synth I don't have any other MIDI devices.

When I connect it I get a constant stream of MIDI info, unlike the 2Box module which just sends the 2 trigger bits of MIDI info at 3 bytes in size.

Maybe I don't have any other option to buy another MIDI interface ?

Frustration is setting in.  >:(

Tony

fishmonkey

the 2Box module doesn't send a constant stream of MIDI data, it only sends data when you actually hit something. it sends a short stream of data if you strike the hihat while moving the hihat pedal.

although technically the MIDIBOX is supposed to be class compliant and not need a special driver, you could try installing the latest drivers for the M-Audio MIDISPORT 4x4, from here:

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=support&tab=driver&PID=0d70bb7064753620b92fc1b3844ca89c&serie_ID=4#tabs

as far as i can tell, the MIDISPORTS are essentially re-badged MIDIBOXes, or vice-versa. my MIDISPORT 2x2 looks exactly like your MIDIBOX 4x4 cut in two.

if you don't know how to manually remove drivers, make sure you have a backup of your system before you try my suggestion...

Thanks for your help Fishmonkey.

I've got the Midibox recording from the 2Box but I can't connect the MIDI out back into the 2Box or it overloads and I get a constant stream or junk signals going into the 2Box.

Basically what I want to be able to do is to record MIDI triggers from the 2Box then play them back into the 2Box brain without doing anything complicated.

Can you do that with your 2x2 ?

If you can I think I'll ditch this 4x4 because I'm only trying to achieve something simple and I'd be happier with a simplified system right now.

By the way, I installed the drivers but being on a Mac it doesn't tell me if I'm using them. i.e. in Audio MIDI setup it is showing the MIDIBOX as "USB Midi 4i4o" rather than "M-Audio 4x4".

Thanks again dude.

Tony

digitalDrummer

If you wanted to try something simpler, I have an almost-new and very simple M-Audio MIDIsport 1x1 that I don't use because I upgraded to a Presonus Audiobox (for the mic pre-amp).
PM me if you're interested it's going cheap.

Quote from: digitalDrummer on March 12, 2012, 09:14:46 AM
If you wanted to try something simpler, I have an almost-new and very simple M-Audio MIDIsport 1x1 that I don't use because I upgraded to a Presonus Audiobox (for the mic pre-amp).
PM me if you're interested it's going cheap.

Thanks for the heads up, but I've got a MIDIsport 2x2 on it's way already.

If that doesn't work out then I'll let you know.

Tony

signature

i hope it works tony, i am keen to do similar at some point

fishmonkey

Quote from: 6828 on March 12, 2012, 05:37:52 AM
I've got the Midibox recording from the 2Box but I can't connect the MIDI out back into the 2Box or it overloads and I get a constant stream or junk signals going into the 2Box.

it sounds to me like you have accidentally set up a MIDI feedback loop.

if you have MIDI thru switched on on both the MIDIBOX and the 2box module, you will get MIDI feedback every time you hit something. go into the unit settings on the 2box module and make sure MIDI thru is turned off.

unless the MIDIBOX is actually faulty there is no reason why it shouldn't work as intended.

Quote from: fishmonkey on March 12, 2012, 01:25:45 PM
it sounds to me like you have accidentally set up a MIDI feedback loop.

if you have MIDI thru switched on on both the MIDIBOX and the 2box module, you will get MIDI feedback every time you hit something. go into the unit settings on the 2box module and make sure MIDI thru is turned off.

unless the MIDIBOX is actually faulty there is no reason why it shouldn't work as intended.

That's it !!!!! you've found the problem !!

I am so grateful now I've got Logic recording and playing back via MIDI via the MIDIBOX 4x4

Your a legend Mr Fishmonkey !

Wooooooooooooooo !!!!!

Thank you so much !

Where can I send you a cheque ? ;)

Tony

fishmonkey

hey, no worries.

looking forward to my cheque!