News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Assigning more memory to DSND tool.

Started by Slap the drummer, February 22, 2012, 10:10:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slap the drummer

Thought this shouldn't be buried in the other thread.

So, if you want to try forcing the computer to allow more memory to be assigned by the DSND tool
(assuming Windows), amend the .bat file (in Notepad) as follows.

Original:
start "" javaw -Xmx500m -jar "dsoundtool.jar"

Rob's version:
start C:\Progra~2\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe -Xmx1g -jar "dsoundtool.jar"

OR, if that doesn't work for you (it didn't for me), after stabbing around like the blind layman I am,
I found that this does work for me.  Basically just inserting the definite path to the Java .exe inside
those empty double speech-marks in the original.

start "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe" javaw -Xmx1g -jar "dsoundtool.jar"

Note the " " around the c:/path.
Add: Xmx1g or (eg) Xmx876m [for assigning eg, 876 Mb] as you prefer.
And I guess, check that this is the actual path to the "javaw.exe" that is installed......  :-\

Cheers to Rob.

And thanks Louis (oh, again  :) ), don't mean to take over development work, and this is me done
in any case  :P - but this seems like a useful tweak if other methods don't work  8)

twisted.mellow

I'm the "other" member that Rob's referring to when it came to the command line params.

Please be aware that in megabyte form (eg. Xmx500m) as shown in Slap's post should be in regular memory capacities (eg. 128m, 256m, 512m). Even then they are very fickly.

Xmx specifies the amount of memory made available to the application, and Xms specifies the amount of memory the application starts with.

Currently I have mine set to -Xms1g -Xmx1g. I have 6g of memory, but -Xmx2g doesn't work. It's very weird. Google search for "Java Xmx Xms parameters" and see what you can dig up.

Slap the drummer

Quote from: twisted.mellow on February 23, 2012, 04:35:07 AM
I'm the "other" member that Rob's referring to when it came to the command line params.

Please be aware that in megabyte form (eg. Xmx500m) as shown in Slap's post should be in regular memory capacities (eg. 128m, 256m, 512m). Even then they are very fickly.

Of course if people were a bit more willing to come forward and share their knowledge, you
wouldn't see the ignorant (such as myself) offering "tips"  ;)

And it's not really important, but as it happens my system -- bog standard laptop, bog standard
vista -- will accept any number I've tried (so long as it's not too big).

ROB219

Many thanks too to Ian for donating his time to remote my PC and take a look at what was going on.

We (He) tried a few different command that night, and even changing out a few digits in the same command line would cause the DSoundTool program to not start. As Ian mentions is is VERY fickle.

I know nothing of JAVA program commands, I still don't fully grasp what is going on but I did pick up that there are variations of the same thing that will either work or not work.

twisted.mellow

I normally wouldn't be willing to comment on something that I can't be sure will work.

I can't give specifics, so this information probably isn't helpful to many people. And there is an explanation of it on the site where you download DSoundTool... If I had definite figures or equations that would help, would definitely post them. As it's fickle, I got it working by toying with it - not something you can really describe I guess.

And if your configuration seems to accept any number you try within limits, perhaps you would be able to share some info on your setup? 8)

Slap the drummer

Quote from: twisted.mellow on February 24, 2012, 03:54:55 AM
And if your configuration seems to accept any number you try within limits, perhaps you would be able to share some info on your setup?

Sure, what do you want to know?

twisted.mellow

System configuration...
- RAM
- Processor
- O/S
- Java runtime versions

Basically any part of your system which would affect the limitations of Java on your system.

BURNIN AMBITION

i has also a problem today. it wopuldnt start. after completely deleting and reinstalling the java, alla worked well. so that you people know.
2box, bengt, deve, digital drummer, Jman, Brian, Manfred thanx for everything

iola 11
http://www.facebook.com/iola11
www.reverbnation.com/iola11
https://soundcloud.com/iola11
https://twitter.com/iola11band
www.youtube.com/iola11band
www.myspace.com/iola11

Rider

i still can't make this program work . it will always tell me theres not enough memory no matter wich number or stuff i put on the .bat file  :-[

Haggis-man

Quote from: Rider on December 09, 2012, 02:25:02 AM
i still can't make this program work . it will always tell me theres not enough memory no matter wich number or stuff i put on the .bat file  :-[

Hi Rider,

I had this issue too quite often when using the downloaded version, espacially with large hi hat files. Once I started using the online link to launch the tool I didn't get the memory issues anymore.

Cheers

RockStarGate

Quote from: Rider on December 09, 2012, 02:25:02 AM

When Lustar was helping me get SDSE to work he sent me this to edit the .bat...

"-Xmx" is the maximum memory DSoundTool will use, must be a multiple of 1024 to use 2GB of RAM (can produce lack of memory errors on my system with 4GB of RAM) start "" javaw -Xmx2048M -Xms1024M -jar "dsoundtool.jar" to use 2.5GB of RAM (less errors on my system with 4GB of RAM but the whole system becomes unresponsive) start "" javaw -Xmx2560M -Xms1024M -jar "dsoundtool.jar" If you have more than 8GB of RAM you could use this to use 5GB for DsoundTool, which should be enough to export 2 full kits in a row or many hats. start "" javaw -Xmx5120M -Xms1024M -jar "dsoundtool.jar"

I have 8gb so I used the last one and haven't had a problem!  ;D