News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Pearl mfh for 14" snare

Started by raptor, February 21, 2012, 01:13:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

raptor

Anyone using one of these for a 14" snare drum? Having a heck of a time trying to dial it in. So far I've only been able to use kick2 as the trigger type. All the other trig types just result in double triggering. Couldn't dial it out without losing sensitivity for soft hits.

Any other mesh heads that would be better for a 14" snare?

edtc

Pearl mesh heads are maybe the worse ones for triggering ... they are more made for silent practicing .
i had some before for my DIY experiencies... it s possible to make something decent with them

try to tighten them a lot ,and for double triggering issues , add some foam under the head close to the rim to mute the decay...

they also break easily ... so when its done , go for a dual ply one ...  take a good quality one , they last much longer and are more reliable...

there are 2 tests in digitaldrummermag , try to read it ... quite all mesh heads available are rewiewed ....

imo ROLAND and DDT are really good choices ...

raptor

Thanks. I'll play around with the sensor height too. Rim triggering is good, just the head is difficult.

digitalDrummer

As edtc indicates, Pearl heads are among the worst of the available choices, even on the "standard" 12" triggers in our testing. Their inadequacy is even more pronounced when you're using a 14" snare.
14" really tests the capability of the drum and the module, which is why we use them for our testing of DIY triggers.
It is really important to use a good mesh head with a 14" snare, and again, as edtc says, we have done a couple of extensive mesh head reviews, the last in our current issue (where we also recap the scores from previous tests).www.digitaldrummermag.com