News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Single Kit file as Startup file?

Started by twisted.mellow, February 20, 2012, 02:47:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twisted.mellow

Hi all,

A quick question and something that's frustrating me... can we use a single kit file as the Startup file somehow? I've tried but it keeps showing me the 100 kits. I only use about 5 kits and I really don't want to know about the others. I'd rather store them in single kit files so I can have (for example) all sounds for one kit AND the dsnd in a single folder. Another folder with sounds and a single dsnd in it, etc. etc.

Can't seem to find anything by searching this forum...

GenuineHuman

You delete DrumIt.dkit and copy single .dkit file (see this for empty.dkit: http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php/topic,1121.msg10681.html#msg10681) inside the folder with dsdn files. I haven't tried that but it should work.

signature

yes i have some examples with the kit, or a few kits, in a folder with the required dsnds.

twisted.mellow

Sorry, should have been a bit clearer. Not an easy thing to explain!

I have a single kit inside a folder all working ok, but I want to use a single kit as the startup dkit, instead of one with 100 kits in it. I've tried putting a single kit dkit in the root and renaming it to drumitinit.dkit but it still just shows the default 100 kits.

Very odd!

GenuineHuman

Kits are stored in the Drumit.dkit, not Drumitinit.dkit. Drumitinit.dkit is just a backup file with original settings or something like that. Try deleting Drumit.dkit from the module. And make a backup before you delete. :)

AA_

Quote from: GenuineHuman on February 20, 2012, 11:30:51 AM
Kits are stored in the Drumit.dkit, not Drumitinit.dkit. Drumitinit.dkit is just a backup file with original settings or something like that. Try deleting Drumit.dkit from the module. And make a backup before you delete. :)

STOP!
This file contains the unit settings and the (internal) kitbank. do not delete this file!

GenuineHuman

You'd configure a fresh drumit.dkit file from scratch (empty drumit.dkit). But it doesn't really work and it looks like 100 kits are "hardcoded" in the OS.

twisted.mellow

Exactly. I know the KIT page info is stored in the DrumIt file, so clearly that needs to be replaced with something. I wouldn't mind setting it up again if I got a DrumIt file with only one kit in it - but it doesn't look to be the case. It's still got 100 blank kits in it even if I put the blank one kit file there and rename it to DrumIt.dkit.

Damn... something for the next version request I guess... Even if we had a way to put the single kit files FIRST.

Deve Loper

Hi. Single kits can be copied to any program  in the kit bank file. So if you want a single kit file first, select it, press SAVE choose the kit number you want to save it t to and press COPY.
Deve.

twisted.mellow

Hi Deve Loper! I just love the fact that the software guy is on here and LISTENS to the customers :)

As a software engineer myself (C, C++ and C#), I understand that these things aren't easily changed and you have to consider the system as a whole with every small alteration you make. Thanks for an outstanding and stable product!

Yes, you are right - I can copy the kits. However, this requires me to copy them back and forth if I make changes - it would be much easier and manageable if we could have either the single kit startup file OR put single kits first... obviously that would require a "setting" to turn a feature like that on.

Thanks for listening!

P.S. Out of curiosity, what language is the module firmware written in?

Ian