News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

DIY 2box Cymbals

Started by RockStarGate, February 13, 2012, 10:07:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RockStarGate

Quote from: fulrmr on December 01, 2012, 04:48:20 AM
being new to the 2Box and choke switches...how exactly is the switch wired? I see one wire from the tin to inside the box. What is it attached to?..and then you mention the ground....what is it wired to besides the bolt on the box?

Thanks. :)
Daniel

Hi Daniel.....since we're both members in the secret society of drummers that were featured in DigitalDrummer i'll let you in on the secret choke setup.....this is between you and me....DON'T TELL ANYONE!  ;D

The Piezo is wired to the Tip and Sleeve and the switch is wired to the Ring and a second wire goes from the Sleeve to the metal of the cymbal, I attach that to the bolt that holds the project box on.
I also sanded the cymbal under the switch to make sure it had good contact with the switch. Works PERFECT!

fulrmr

Quote from: RockStarGate on December 01, 2012, 03:17:07 PM
Hi Daniel.....since we're both members in the secret society of drummers that were featured in DigitalDrummer i'll let you in on the secret choke setup.....this is between you and me....DON'T TELL ANYONE!  ;D

The Piezo is wired to the Tip and Sleeve and the switch is wired to the Ring and a second wire goes from the Sleeve to the metal of the cymbal, I attach that to the bolt that holds the project box on.
I also sanded the cymbal under the switch to make sure it had good contact with the switch. Works PERFECT!

hehehehehe.........thanks. I've never built a chokable cymbal. I think I may give it a shot though.

If you will indulge a "Secret Society" brother ;) I have another question. If my cymbal were of a plastic nature...where would I attach the wire that goes to the bolt?

edtc

if the cymbal is in plastic it cant work this way ...!

you ll have to put another conductive surface between the cymbal and the metal sensor , and connect it to the ground ...

RockStarGate

Quote from: fulrmr on December 02, 2012, 12:58:05 AM
hehehehehe.........thanks. I've never built a chokable cymbal. I think I may give it a shot though.

If you will indulge a "Secret Society" brother ;) I have another question. If my cymbal were of a plastic nature...where would I attach the wire that goes to the bolt?

You would have to make a 2-piece choke (2 metal strips) one strip goes to ring and the other to sleeve. When you touch them together the cymbal will choke. The choke also controls the 3rd cymbal zone, when you hit the cymbal edge the flex makes the choke strips make contact briefly and you get a edge sound.
I don't know if that will work as good on a plastic cymbal?

fulrmr

Quote from: RockStarGate on December 02, 2012, 01:23:44 AM
You would have to make a 2-piece choke (2 metal strips) one strip goes to ring and the other to sleeve. When you touch them together the cymbal will choke. The choke also controls the 3rd cymbal zone, when you hit the cymbal edge the flex makes the choke strips make contact briefly and you get a edge sound.
I don't know if that will work as good on a plastic cymbal?

Sounds simple enough......now to decide a cymbal material.  :-\

thanks. :)

fulrmr

Quote from: RockStarGate on December 01, 2012, 03:17:07 PM

OK...Tip and sleeve....which goes to brass and which goes to ceramic?

I got the switch part to work....nice edge sound and choke.....but no bell or bow. Using crash 1 input and Gen16 13" cymbal.

hmm...now my choke just completely stopped working....this sucks..........

EDIT:
Well...as it turns out...my very first attempt was a complete success....sort of....I have some stereo jacks that have and extra terminal for another connection that seems to go near....(and I say near because it doesn't touch it) the tip contact. Apparently I was connected to that instead of the tip terminal. Problem solved. I get superb bell, bow and edge separation..and in chokes spectacularly.

SUCCESS!!!! YIPPEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

My very first 3z choking cymbal....I feel very accomplished now.

However...this really does not explain why it wouldn't work with the barrel jack I used after the first seemingly failed. Hmmmmm.............I bet it's wired wrong too. ;)

Yep....I wired and rewired this thing until I went bleary eyed...it's no wonder it was wired wrong. ::)

edtc

Quote from: fulrmr on July 06, 2013, 02:37:09 AM
OK...Tip and sleeve....which goes to brass and which goes to ceramic?

usualy , tip is ceramic and sleeve is brass

fulrmr

Quote from: edtc on July 07, 2013, 11:58:18 AM
usualy , tip is ceramic and sleeve is brass

Thanks! Yep...that's how I have it...and it works now. ;)...

...Now for some refinement of my initial design....and trying to figure out how to actually post  pics here. Is there an attachment feature here other than the "Insert Image" button in the tool bar? I don't see one.

RockStarGate

I just bought a bunch of Gen16 cymbals to convert and am now selling my Sabian A2E's.
You can find them in the classified section....CHEAP!!!!

dougp

Quote from: RockStarGate on November 16, 2013, 06:31:49 PM
I just bought a bunch of Gen16 cymbals to convert and am now selling my Sabian A2E's.

Did this work out for you? I was thinking of doing the same but with L80's, which are much cheaper.

Coda

There's no reason adding triggers to L80s wouldn't work. I had a look on Zildjians website the other day, and I found just 3 different sets of L80s, all of which contain hats. I'm wondering if there a possibility to buy single cymbals, not in a pack? (I would buy a pack, plus some more crashes/splashes/chinas, if they exist).

Jimimidi

Quote from: RockStarGate on November 16, 2013, 06:31:49 PM

Were you able to get this to work (3-zone w/choke and hi hats)? I am going to try with the Low Volume cymbals, but last time I tried, getting the choke to be accurate was difficult. Also, not sure how to best do HiHats.
Thanks

nicog

Hi guys, Im using a piezo on bow (ring) and a smaller piezo on the bell (tip), both shares sleeve.
I tried a lot of combinations 35/27/10 mm piezo, but the problem is when hit the bell sound I get the bow/edge sound and viceversa. I also played with different threshold and gain config with no luck. Any Ideas? Im thinking that probably a KRC may work?

edtc

Quote from: nicog on April 19, 2016, 07:07:31 PM
Hi guys, Im using a piezo on bow (ring) and a smaller piezo on the bell (tip), both shares sleeve.
I tried a lot of combinations 35/27/10 mm piezo, but the problem is when hit the bell sound I get the bow/edge sound and viceversa. I also played with different threshold and gain config with no luck. Any Ideas? Im thinking that probably a KRC may work?

2 box cymbals inputs are designed for a piezo for bow+bell and a switch for the edge +choke ...

The piezo has to be located in the bell because bell detection relies on velocity . So with just one piezo you ll have 2 zones .

nicog

Quote from: edtc on April 20, 2016, 12:04:48 AM
2 box cymbals inputs are designed for a piezo for bow+bell and a switch for the edge +choke ...

The piezo has to be located in the bell because bell detection relies on velocity . So with just one piezo you ll have 2 zones .

Hi edtc, thanks for your reply.. probably this is off topic but I have diy visulite like cymbals so edge choke doesnt seems to be an option (isnt it?)

I  wonder if something like this would work:
http://edrum.for.free.fr/static/pictures/KeithRPiezoRimDetector.jpg