News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

What standard of PC to create DSND's?

Started by ROB219, February 07, 2012, 10:41:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ROB219

Guys, what specs are you guys running in order to create .dsnd files. I'm running 64 bit Vista with 4GB ram... just a regular PC but under a normal running Windows environment... no matter what I do... I can't get enough spare memory to create a decent sized .dsnd file.

I have all the samples sitting there waiting, but the DSOUNDTOOL software will not allow me to get the job done.
So... how do you guys who have created large .dsnd files do it? 8GB...more!!?? What OS systems are you using?
I have tried a few different batch lines for the BAT file... to no avail... I just can't get the amount of memory freed up from running a normal everyday OS PC.

Throw me some ideas... because I feel I'm going to have to upgrade the PC just to create some .dsnd's.

:-\

ROB219

Thanks for the link... doesn't really tell me much to be honest.

I just did an upgrade from Vista 64 to Win7 and I have more memory available... but still cannot make any dsnd files... this is quite ridiculous...

Louis

Can you describe exactly how you start DSoundTool? How big is the total size of the wave files from which you want to create dsnd files?

ROB219

Hi Lois, I'll check tonight, I'm at work right now and don't have the total size in front of me. But what I am trying to do is create a HiHat file, the first of many I want to do but this issue won't allow me to complete the task.

40 layers, 24Bit .WAV files, 3 open levels (open, 3/4, 1/2, 1/4 and closed) each file is around 170Mb. So that is Tip/Bow x 5 @ ~170Mb, Edge x 5 ~170Mb, and splash at around 160Mb.

Total dsnd wav files ~1.7Gb for 1 x HiHat .dsnd.

I have 2.7-3Gb of memory available in the system to work with, I have done the batch line change and it did nothing. Restart the system... no difference....

How do I start DSNDTOOL? I click on it and it opens..... umm.. not sure exactly what you mean...

edtc

Hi Rob

you dont need to use 24bit files , as they will be converted to 16 when making the dsounds....

IMO it s clever to convert them before making DSOUNDS , using a soft like Audacity (freeware) or Soundforge  . Chosing the dithering option  could maybe even avoid the "hiss distortion" that happens sometimes ... (not sure on this ....)

also this way , it will need lot less ram .... for the same result

ROB219

I'll try converting the files to 16bit and see how that goes. Good suggestion. I didn't worry about that as they were recorded in 24bit resolution.

ROB219

OK, have it all sorted. With some help from another member we have it working beautifully. Had to alter the Java command lines to suit my machine...

Louis

Ok, good that you found a solution. 1.7 GB for one hihat, that's almost half of the original 2box sdcard.

ROB219

The figures I quoted for the files were off a tad... looked at it when I got home and the file total for a HiHat .dsnd came to 600Mb.

But I did have some weird memory address stuff that we got sorted, works good now.

BUT... having said that ... what we had to do was something that the average Joe (err... Me!) would have had no idea on what to do, which to me doesn't make the program completely user friendly.

Sure it works now... but if you don't have anyone to help you.. well you would just throw your hands in the air and not bother with it. Because all of the suggested "fixes" had absolutely no effect on the fault that was occurring.
I feel that is something that needs to be addressed.
I am thankful that there are people who'll give up their time to write these programs, don't get me wrong, but it has to just work.

Slap the drummer

Quote from: ROB219 on February 08, 2012, 10:53:09 AM
OK, have it all sorted. With some help from another member we have it working beautifully. Had to alter the Java command lines to suit my machine...

Fancy sharing ?

ROB219

Oh.. yeah... forgot to post it! hahaha...

I will when I get home, don't have the command in front of me.

Slap the drummer

Quote from: ROB219 on February 13, 2012, 10:23:03 PM
Oh.. yeah... forgot to post it! hahaha...

I will when I get home, don't have the command in front of me.

Great! - but don't forget  ;)

ROB219

Sorry... I did forget... silly me!

Anyway this is the batch file line I am using:

start C:\Progra~2\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe -Xmx1g -jar "dsoundtool.jar"

Slap the drummer

Quote from: ROB219 on February 22, 2012, 10:08:56 AM
Sorry... I did forget... silly me!

Anyway this is the batch file line I am using:

start C:\Progra~2\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe -Xmx1g -jar "dsoundtool.jar"

Thanks Rob.

So I take it thats:-

start C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe -Xmx1g -jar "dsoundtool.jar"

When I run this (on vista), I get the error message:
"C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe" does not exist

I have checked and that is the valid path to javaw.exe...... ? ?

I'm wondering if the problem is that space in the fldr name "Program Files".

Can you confirm the full command you've used?

Thanks