News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Dilemma of making DSNDs

Started by espen, February 05, 2012, 04:16:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

digitalDrummer

This is a bit off-topic, but is there anyone here who is familiar enough with DAWs who can come up with a step-by-step guide to brewing DSNDs using a DAW. My thinking is that one group has already made a lot of progress with SD-based samples using SD. Some others are trying with BFD samples, using BFD.
Now, if we can work out a "generic" brewing method that does not rely on the VST program, we would have the ability to mix and match - some snares from Superior, perhaps some cymbals from the Zildjian (BFD) collection, some electronic sounds from AD, etc. Many e-drummers have VSTs from different families, and it would be great to get these into the 2box module.
(I'm not suggesting any sample swapping on the forum, simply a way that each of us can brew our own, for our own personal use!!)
Any takers???

Louis

Quote from: espen on February 07, 2012, 06:07:37 AM
I have a couple of questions. My problem is that when over 1500MBit the tool doesn't start from bat file. It gives some java error. Could the problem be linked with that?

Sorry, I forgot to answer your most important question, but Slap the Drummer is right, in that case DSoundTool cannot get all the memory it wants. Just as Slap wrote, try to decrease the memory allocation until the tool starts.

edtc

Quote from: Louis on February 07, 2012, 09:10:48 PM
Hi edtc, nice to talk with you again! Your proposal is a bit difficult to implement, because I do not know what velocity to assign to each sample. I think Slap's Excel approach should be ok (this is anyway advanced usage). But hopefully some day I will realize your idea to make it possible to extend the sample dialog, you know the view where you see the individual samples, and in that view be able to delete individual samples, change their velocity, and perhaps their volume as well.

The problem is time. I spend too much time programming already, and short term I see no end in sight. That's why drumming is such a great pastime, just hitting things and emptying the mind... Hopefully before summer.

if it s complicated , just forget it :)  ... i d rather take 10 minutes to edit a TXT file , than giving you a headache with long program lines.....

You know ... the more you give , the more people ask ... same old story  !!!

take your time , enjoy your free time  and beat your mesh heads ...

Slap the drummer

Hi edtc - I can share the kind of excel thing I meant if it's of any interest..... it really is
nothing fancy....  but making up the text files only took a minute or two as I remember.
8)

Slap the drummer

Quote from: Louis on February 07, 2012, 10:48:06 PM
Sorry, I forgot to answer your most important question, but Slap the Drummer is right, in that case DSoundTool cannot get all the memory it wants. Just as Slap wrote, try to decrease the memory allocation until the tool starts.

Hi Louis - do you have any tips for trying to get round this?  I would like to get some more
memory if possible.... just for hihats really.

Thanks

Meistermacher

Hi Slap the drummer,
Are you talking about the excel file from this message?

http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php/topic,285.msg8556.html#msg8556

Meistermacher

Slap the drummer

Quote from: Meistermacher on February 08, 2012, 12:01:20 PM
Hi Slap the drummer,
Are you talking about the excel file from this message?

http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php/topic,285.msg8556.html#msg8556

Meistermacher

I wasn't, no - but I'm sure this will be better.
I was just doing stuff on the fly

Louis

Quote from: Slap the drummer on February 08, 2012, 11:11:12 AM
Hi Louis - do you have any tips for trying to get round this?  I would like to get some more
memory if possible.... just for hihats really.

Thanks

Hi Slap! 749 MB does not sound much to me. How much RAM memory do you have on your computer? Can you check the task manager in Windows to see how much memory is in use when you have no other programs running?

I have no simple trick available, I am sorry. One thing you could try is to shut down services on your Windows machine, look on the internet how you can do this. This can give you more memory and may make your computer a little bit faster.

Also perhaps it may help if you increase the total amount of virtual memory on your machine , I forgot how to do this (and I have no Windows machine nearby). If you do this you will have more memory available for programs, with the downside that if you use many programs simultaneously your computer may get very slow because the computer will start swapping memory back and forth from/to your hard disk.

Another thing you could try is to shut down as many programs as possible before starting DSoundTool. A more expensive solution is to buy more RAM... There are probably many other things you can do. Personally I use normally only Linux, and I use Windows only for music related stuff. That keeps my Windows installation fast and clean. It works out for me, but it may not be a good solution for everyone.

Slap the drummer

Hi Louis - thanks for the virtual memory tip.  I do know what you're talking about, seem to
remember solving something else with it years ago.

I'll give it a try.

Cheers  8)

UC

Quote from: edtc on February 08, 2012, 03:29:48 AM
hey fellow 2boxers ... why dont you send your best Dsounds to Louis ? (etc)

Yo edtc and all, just want to point out that the forum isn't a place to share copyrighted sounds without permission from the owners of that copyright material - we're duty-bound to delete any dodgy posts etc.

Not taking a political stance, just an arse-covering one :)

edtc

Quote from: UC on March 13, 2012, 11:29:58 AM
Yo edtc and all, just want to point out that the forum isn't a place to share copyrighted sounds without permission from the owners of that copyright material - we're duty-bound to delete any dodgy posts etc.

Not taking a political stance, just an arse-covering one :)
no problem Tom... i did it ...