News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

2 box cymbals will fit on regular boom arm?

Started by codswallop, January 23, 2012, 11:32:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

codswallop

Many thanks and sorry if it's a repeat of a repeated question, i'm new.

The cymbals will keep turning as there is no anti spin device?

Aquarian springs?

Anyway ... my ears are open

Thanks ...

Jman

Quote from: codswallop on January 23, 2012, 11:32:09 PM

Aquarian springs?

Thanks ...

As far as triggering goes, it won't really matter what direction a 2Box cymbal is facing as the sensor circles the bell, and the edge sensor is 360 degrees also. For my own converted cymbals I use Aquarian springs for crashes, nothing for rides...
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

signature

Yes the cymbals sometimes spin and the cable gets wrapped around the arm.

hwasser

Quote from: codswallop on January 23, 2012, 11:32:09 PM

Aquarian springs?

Thanks ...

Hell yeah!

(the two cymbals in the middle is cheap thomann cymbals, which works very good btw).

SHwoKing

As far as i know, it might not be possible to mount a 2box cymbal on an aquarian spring. I have both at home so I will check if you can still mount them on it but the gap between top and bottom of the cymbal might be too huge.

Personnaly, i use Wedgie rubber "felt" for the bottom.  It keeps it from spinning and i use a Hi Hat clutch felt for the top, it fits perfectly in the top hole.

Putting a regular felt on top of the cymbal will not work as the cymbal is so thick, you cannot even put the wing nut  ;D

hwasser

The 2box cymbals can spin how much they want to, the piezo is in the middle so they dont have any direction they have to be at, you can play on all 360 degres on the cymbal.

boekhour

Quote from: hwasser on March 22, 2012, 04:27:35 PM
The 2box cymbals can spin how much they want to, the piezo is in the middle so they dont have any direction they have to be at, you can play on all 360 degres on the cymbal.

Yes they can spin, but the cable doesnt like it and gets wrapped around the boom. I have the same problem. Not using the flimsy cymbal holders and rack anymore, and 2box asks +/ 400 euro (!) for the new rack, but now using dixon/gibraltar stuff with cymbal boom arms. How can we stop spinning the cymbal?

Will this do the trick:
http://www.drum-tec.de/cymbalspring-rot-p-441.html

SHwoKing

Just to add my to cent on this thread.

Avoid buying Aquarian spring for 2box cymbal. The cymbal is so thick that it is not possible to sandwich it between the two rubber part.
I have both and tested it. Fortunately, i didn't bought it for that matter.

The only way possible I think is to reduce the diameter of the upper rubber part of the spring so that you can insert it into the cymbal upper hole. Otherwise, forget it.

Devious123

Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in with the solution i wound up using to mount my cymbals on actually rather crappy old cymbal stands my drummer had, that only had a couple inch long thread area. Like others i put a thick felt, on the underside, and inside the hole of the 2 box cymbal. I basically had some really thin velcro that i wrapped a round the shaft that the cymbal was held to the boom arm with, till it matched the hole size of the 2 box cymbal. This velcro is just above the felt, and helps center the cymbal. My drummer had these curved cymbal cup washers, that i put upside down so that the inner portion of the hole of the washer, dropped inside the top of the hole of the 2 box cymbal. I had to put it upside down because the threaded portion wasn't long enough to tighten the cymbal down, on this particular. If you have a long enough threaded post then you can probably have the cup so that it goes with the curve of the cymbal.