News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

XME Cymbal - Inside pictures - Modding

Started by 6828, January 19, 2012, 08:46:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G'day all,

So I just got one of the XME Cymbals on eBay and I pulled it apart to see how it works.

There's a ring around the cymbal mount that looks like a contact switch for the Bell trigger. The bow trigger is hidden inside the connector box and is a standard piezo which has thick foam around it. The choke is another contact switch.

I'm sure I can rewire this one so the bell is triggered when you strike hard and then trigger the rest of the cymbal as normal, just like the 2Box version.

Here's some internal pictures:

Tony

edtc

hi....

thanx for the pics, it s allways cool to look inside those stuff ....

if you want them to behave like a 2 box 3 zones , maybe it s better to try to relocate the piezo somewhere closer to the bell ....  disconnect the bell switch and leave the edge switch  as is ... the resistor must be here for the bell switch i guess....

what kind of plastic is used for the upper layer of the bell ?

edtc

you can also try to use it as is , chosing CYCUP trigger mode....  only 2 zones , no more crash sound but choke should work ...

like this you ll have bell sound on both edge and bell , but on the other hand , it s very possible that bell triggering recognition will  be improved a lot ....

maybe you ll have to bypass the resistor for this use ...  but looking at the board , it looks quite easy to connect the switch you want to the 2 pins without the resistor , and make sometrials without soldering job...

It'd be cool if you could trigger a bell sound from a switch mechanism instead of a piezo trigger.

If your reading this Deve perhaps you could allow this option in the future ?

Switch style trigger is far more predictable than piezo but without modulation or sensitivity.

Sometimes i just want to trigger a sound not play it at various volumes. The bell is one of those.

In the meantime Im going to get a flexible reed piezo and wire this cymbal so its a knockoff version of the 2Box.

Tony

edtc

it is allready possible in CYcup mode .... and it s also velocity sensitive ....

do you have a link for those"flexible reed piezo" ?  never heard about it , but fromwhat i ve googled , it looks a good move for DIY cymbals or small AUX pads ....

Quote from: edtc on January 20, 2012, 01:48:18 AM
it is allready possible in CYcup mode .... and it s also velocity sensitive ....

do you have a link for those"flexible reed piezo" ?  never heard about it , but fromwhat i ve googled , it looks a good move for DIY cymbals or small AUX pads ....

This kind of Piezo should work.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Guitar-Saddle-Piezo-Bridge-Pickup-Soft-Acoustic-guitar-high-quality-parts-/150739114077?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2318c0585d#ht_3322wt_1093

I've just ordered one so I'm keen to try it when it arrives.

If it's in a C shape around the bell it should work nicely.

I'll try the CyCup mode and see how that works.

Thanks for the info !

digitalDrummer

Have you managed to do anything with your XM cymbal? I have a couple that I may mod if yours works.

Quote from: digitalDrummer on April 22, 2012, 08:53:02 AM
Have you managed to do anything with your XM cymbal? I have a couple that I may mod if yours works.

I've modded the XM Cymbal a few times now and I've settle on a mod that is really easy to do.

I replaced the middle bell switch with a piezo so now I have the same system as the 2Box cymbal. Bell, bow and edge/choke.

See pics below for details:

digitalDrummer

Nice work. How do you know which terminal is red and black on PCB?

edtc

Quote from: digitalDrummer on May 12, 2012, 12:03:00 AM

i presume G is for "ground" SIN for signal in ....

Quote from: digitalDrummer on May 12, 2012, 12:03:00 AM

Oh yeah I just realised they weren't black and red on the original Piezo.

I must have just traced the wire on the old Piezo and replicated it on the new Piezo.

Either or it doesn't make any difference in my testing which wire goes where.

Tony