News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Roland TD-30

Started by puttenvr, January 19, 2012, 07:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

puttenvr

Yep, their toms is the big problem. They are over-prosessed and make a 7,000 dollar kit sounding plastic.
As well as some other drawbacks, which I mentioned earlier and drove me to ddrum/2Box.

Denus

It's true that the Roland VH-11 hihat I had felt better, but the snare and toms on the 2Box are definitely superior in my opinion.
But then again, the 2Box cymbals in general are not bad at all according to several reviews in e-drum magazines.

Well: it's also a matter of personal feeling I guess.

Peter Beater

Hi E-Gang,

just wanted to share some more TD-30 demos:

http://www.roland.com/video/page.cfm?id=88527263002

..not too bad... :rock:

PB

roel

Quote from: Peter Beater on February 24, 2012, 05:08:43 PM
Hi E-Gang,

just wanted to share some more TD-30 demos:

http://www.roland.com/video/page.cfm?id=88527263002

..not too bad... :rock:

PB

No its not that bad, but for that price of that set you have almost 3 2box sets.

signature

TrommelTheo

Yes, Dirk is awesome! I know him for over 30 years, since my first Drum-lesson, and made many things with him together (music-school). He is really great guy, looks better than me, playing drums better than me... life is not fair *lol* (Ok, i can bette sing ;D).

Theo

rythm

Nice drumming. But unfortunately still the same plastic sound.

Evy

Got to try one at a local music store.  Ok wow, the hihat really is amazing, the ride triggers flawlessly as do the other cymbals, much better than 2Box IMO. 
The sounds still don't cut it...out of the box anyway, I didn't tweak it or anything other than playing with the ambience fader..  In fact I'm surprised Roland can still put this out as acceptable when there is something else so much better in that regard. 
When you've been playing 2Box, there is just no going back.  Plus of course the Rolands cost a lot!
Sorry, not a big review, just first impressions.

Drumaster

Hello guys,

I'm new on this forum, so nice to meet you. :)

I switched my TD-20X module to a 2Box one.
Explanations: I loved my TD-20X and I was waiting so much for the TD-30 to have even better sounds and playability (Roland's strengh to me).

BUT, I tried the TD-30 and I was VERY disappointed by the sounds... It's exactly the same technology as the TD-20X, they just renamed it. News is in the expressiveness but not in sounds!
The evidence is that all TD-20X settings are fully compatible with the TD-30 as the modeling technic is the same.

So, I decided to get a 2Box module and wow the sounds are great (the worst 2Box ones equal the best ones of Roland when very well tweaked IMO). I just have now to replace my ride (a CY-15R) and the hi-hat (VH-12) with 2Box ones to get a good playability and I'm gonna resell my TD-20X.

I keep my Roland pads as I love the feeling and their head are strictly indestructible.

To sum up, I'm fed up with Roland sounds now, it's time to have real ones, and 2Box is now getting better and better on settings (not as rich as Roland though).

My 2 cents.

edtc

Quote from: Drumaster on May 13, 2012, 02:20:52 PM
Hello guys,

I just have now to replace my ride (a CY-15R) and the hi-hat (VH-12) with 2Bow ones to get a good playability and I'm gonna resell my TD-20X.

I keep my Roland pads as I love the feeling and their head are strictly indestructible.

T

welcome here !!

for sure you ll have to sell your hihat , but for the ride , it s worse the try to keep it , and to see if you like it with the 2BOX module....

there are 2 new modes  :  CYcup and CYedge ....   you l l be able to have the bell sound and bow , but without edge sound or choke , or in CYedge mode , bow + edge and choke

and i agree , PDX-8 are great with the module ;;;  no hot spot ( side sensor like 2box pads)  and wonderfull mesh head!

Also there is an other option , use any 2 zone cymbal with Manfred s board . It s a circuit designed by someone from this forum , that emulates the 2 box magnetic system with any other brand cymbal...CY-5 is great  ....

Jman

While it would be cost affective to sell the VH-11, because they are pretty spendy.... with Manfred's controller box the VH-11 could be used. Since there are 2 parts to the VH-11, the controller base and the actual Hi Hat cymbal, you would only use the Hi Hat cymbal with Manfred's controller. Manfred's controller box solution and magnet would replace the function of the controller base of the VH-11 and make it usable with the 2Box module.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

Drumaster

Thanks guys.

I know about manfred's box but not sure about buying something I did not try before... And I don't know wich magnet I have to buy, even after reading all the posts... Seems too complicated to me lol.

About the ride, I tried CYedge and that's what I prefer (because I don't want a bell on the bow like in Crash14 mode), but no bell on bell zone and it's a shame. And manfred's box offers bell but no choke... So either I keep my CY-15R without bell or I buy a 2Box one. Besides, I hears that having manfred's box is not so easy with a hi-hat stand without a plate as the pedal moves a little while playing. Even with a plate it's not always perfect, right?

edtc

Quote from: Drumaster on May 13, 2012, 10:42:12 PM

So either I keep my CY-15R without bell or I buy a 2Box one.

try CYcup mode , and dont forget to plug the jack on BELL/BOW ... like this you ll get clean separate bell sound , and no bell on the bow or edge .... but also no choke  and edge sound....

Thanks guys.
. And manfred's box offers bell but no choke...

Manfred s box is for HIHAT , and HIHAT has no bell on 2box modules

Besides, I hears that having manfred's box is not so easy with a hi-hat stand without a plate as the pedal moves a little while playing. Even with a plate it's not always perfect, right?

no , with a plate it s allright ..... 

I use a very regular magnet found in a supermarket .... it s not so strong but it works ..... IMO any magnet will work , as there is a calibration process ....  JMAN bought his on the internet , and he is happy with his over-ultra-strong magnets  ;)  well he was happier after he achieved to separate them (  cause he bougt 4 of them :) )

but if you feel more confident with a non DIY gear , go for a second hand hihat ... sure B.A. has one to sell  , he allways needs money to buy "medecine" to cure his G.A. syndrom  .... ;)

Drumaster

Yeah sorry for the confusion about Manfred's box, it's for hi-hat yes. :p

About ride, I will try Cycup but I think I prefer to keep edge sound + choke than clean separate bell without choke and edge, as I use it as a crash/ride too (too strange not to have sound on edge!).

About hi-hat, as I don't plan to buy another hi-hat stand with plate, I think I will choose a 2Box hi-hat cymbal (not too bad as far as I heard).

About ride, just in case I would like to have full expressiveness: is 2Box one a good cymbal? I'm thinking of buying it as I know 2Box cymbals to be heavy but for a ride I think it's a good thing, isn't it? Is it solid like a Roland (I sometimes hear that 2Box cymbals are thin and that the edge become damaged with time, is it true? Roland's one are very solid by the way.

SHwoKing

2Box Hi Hat is fine by me.

What I especially like is very sensitive edge and 360° trigger so you can play confortable with both hands (I tend to play at a different spot with the left hand). The magnet system is simple but works pretty well and it is very easy to calibrate.

What I dislike is that the attachement system to the stand is totally locking the hat movement unlike IE a Yamaha RHH 135. So even in open position, the hat is not waving while hit.
12" is also a bit tiny for my liking, a 13" would have been perfect.
And there's some crosstalk issue when you open the hat brutally and let your pedal go upward totally.

2Box cymbal is also fine as a ride, bell is pretty big en trigger quiet well. Again 360° trigger and sensitive edge. As for durability, I only use one as a crash for 3 months now and it is still going strong. I'm no hard hitter with an E-Kit though and I tend to hit my cymbal everytime with a wrist swing like I do with Acoustic Cymbal.