News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Roland TD-30

Started by puttenvr, January 19, 2012, 07:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pascaldc

Gosh they should stop having Thomas Lang doing demos for them; that guy can even make an acoustic drum machine gun lol

Ther's improvements on the kit, but the toms are still not sounding good played fast. You can clearly hear that in  Tempesta's part

Jman

I didn't really notice this thread till now. I made a comment about the TD-30KV in this thread (page 2):
http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php/topic,1197.15.html
Like I said there, the triggering is excellent, I expected that, especially when I had heard there were more improvements on how the drums and Hi Hat and cymbals respond to stick work ... the Ambience slider with changes you can make in Room, Overhead mics and Reverb bring a big change in the sound ... even on the fly.
And the sounds are improved over the previous model ... IMO
I could see reasons people would want it.... and wouldn't try to talk people into one direction over another .... (unless 2Box endorsed me that is ;) ;) ;D)
Wink wink, hint hint....  ::)
For me:
All that said, at the end of the day when I play the VST quality sounds from my 2Box setup ..... and then compare that to not only the new Rollie stuff, but the other stand alone drum modules/kits at NAMM .... I'm stickin with what I have! This 2Box unit doesn't brew coffee, or answer the doorbell, it doesn't turn my lights on when I clap my hands .... but it is one powerful unit, beautiful simplicity IMO .... J
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

Cuban

Quote from: Jman on January 24, 2012, 03:05:42 AM
This 2Box unit doesn't brew coffee, or answer the doorbell, it doesn't turn my lights on when I clap my hands .... but it is one powerful unit, beautiful simplicity IMO .... J
Apologies Jerry, all other 2Box modules do all that as well, FedEx must have dropped your package when we sent it!  ;)

While I am sure the TD-30 it is an awesome piece of technology and will be the most responsive kit on the market, Roland already appear very defensive about the TD-30 having picked up on comments made on forums by myself an others.

I am not commenting further until I have given it a proper demo, but I would put money on my two main points of issue not changing, even as good as it might / will be.

Slap the drummer

Quote from: Slap the drummer on January 19, 2012, 08:56:22 PM
I used to have a drum kit sounded like this -
my dad made it for me out of cardboard boxes and biscuit tins when I was
five years old  :'(

..... another reason this old kit was like a roland:-

I kept saying, "Dad, this kit don't sound so good".  And he kept saying, "Shut up son, that's
the best thing money can buy!".

Boom boom.

Also, he tried to put a patent on the idea of turning a biscuit tin upside down and hitting it.

Pascaldc

I'm owned a td20 for about 6 years ( comme je suis content de l'avoir vendu avant la sortie du td30)
and i always enjoyed the playability of the kit; pos. sensing, the bury the beater thing, and the modeling capabilities. But at the end of the day, i still didn't like the sound i was getting, especially when playing fills on the toms...
It sounds like the new kit have more different velocity layers, but still they should have put interval control or whatever they call it on all the kit.

Also the snare sounds really good, but it makes ur roll sounds better than in real life. I mean even if you are a bit sloppy it will still sound so even

Jman

Quote from: GenuineHuman on January 19, 2012, 07:40:29 PM
Yeah, there is nothing an edrummer would be overly excited about. Alesis came out with DM Dock, which is interesting and probably the only product on this winter NAMM I'm interested in, Roland released TD30 drum module only Jman will be able to afford (if he stops spending money on SD cards) and absolutely nothing new from Yamaha.
Whatcha talkin bout ...  ??? I can't even afford another VST expansion pack let alone that new module after all the SD cards I bought for testing ....  ;D

GenuineHuman

That's a bummer! Maybe you can rent them, or something. It's not like you'll be the first one, really. :D You can then tell us if this slick business model works. This information would be valuable for quite a few forum members (not as valuable as to you, though). :D

Jman

The DM Dock is pretty interesting ... it is something that is actually looking ahead so to speak .... IE, they know it has more potential as the newer, more powerful Ipads come out. According to Rich who I talked to at Alesis, there is or are VST companies showing interest in developing for it. and if it could use small footprint programs like BFD Eco, and Addictive Drums ... maybe it won't take that much memory to run it.... 

So it is kind of putting the cart before the horse .... maybe a gamble .... but maybe a gamble that will pay off. Prolly not nice to bring up the fact that the Alesis DM10 was supposed to be a module that you could customize with VST add on packs .... Alesis had one crappy pack that came out .... the end, game Over ... So, time will tell on this new DM Dock.

GenuineHuman

Damn insomnia.

Completely new products are always a gamble. It would definetly be more reliable if the actual sound processing would be going on inside the Dock and Ipad is just for controlling this whole process and for additional features such as recording, saving and playing tracks, drum tutor, drum notes / tabs etc. You don't really need much CPU power for this. But I'm pretty much sure that's not the case with DM Dock.

Time will tell. But they are definetly pushing other e-drums developers to consider this option as well.

edtc

Quote from: GenuineHuman on January 25, 2012, 01:26:49 AM
Damn insomnia.

It would definetly be more reliable if the actual sound processing would be going on inside the Dock and Ipad is just for controlling this whole process and for additional features such as recording, saving and playing tracks, drum tutor, drum notes / tabs etc. You don't really need much CPU power for this. But I'm pretty much sure that's not the case with DM Dock.

i agree.... the new mackie mixer uses this concept ...

http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php/topic,1199.msg11534.html#msg11534

Denus

A few years ago, I purchased a Roland TD-12 and some toms and cymbals upgrades: nice set.
I bought a few VT banks for it, that worked quite good.

But I did pay much, much more for that thing than for the entiere 2Box set.
Anyway, I had to sell it after I broke my wrist badly in a quad accident (couldn't play for more than a year!).

Fortunately, I don't miss it anymore, now that I have my orange / aluminum setup  ;)

As for the DM Dock: my wife which has her own little sound studio with many synthesizers, keyboards and 19" rack modules was interested in the IO Dock for her iPad 2. Well, the IO Dock is quite nice but not that sturdy, plastic only, I suppose that the DM Dock will be the same.

Well, I'm now spoiled by 2Box and can't stand plastic anymore  8)

puttenvr

(let's say some positive things about vdrums)
I think the snare, ride and hihat-triggering is on a higher level than with 2Box.
And the kit looks good. In a way

GenuineHuman

I'd definetly buy Roland instead of 2Box .... if I'd get more for my money there. I like Yamaha pads the most and I'm sure this new Roland pads are excellent as well. I wouldn't mind having it. In my opinion they are overall better than 2Box.  But look at the price, just shy of 7,000 euros for KV model and 4,000 euros for K model. That's just too much for my pocket. Maybe someday, but someday 2Box will come out with something new and better too.

roel

Quote from: puttenvr on January 30, 2012, 04:56:15 PM
(let's say some positive things about vdrums)
I think the snare, ride and hihat-triggering is on a higher level than with 2Box.
And the kit looks good. In a way

Yip I always like the triggering of the hihat and ride by Roland V-Drums.

edcito

Quote from: puttenvr on January 30, 2012, 04:56:15 PM

Which is what 90% of drummers care about.... funnily enough, many complain the roland toms "machine-gun" as hell.....