News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Kick lack of sensibility?

Started by Denus, January 26, 2012, 09:11:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denus

My bass drum is only responding when I hit the pedal quite hard.
Although the other pads are responding even when I pass my finger on the mesh, the bass drum doesn't pick up the signal.

I've tried to find out how to set the sensibility of the kick trigger but couldn't find it (got my set today, still learning).

Any suggestions?

edtc

Press the KICK button on the module , then UNIT then PAGE DOWN ... here you have the settings for gain curve pad type and so on ... ( all in the F.... manual ;)

If it s not better  try another jack....  if it s the same ,   try to plug your Kick drum pad to the snare input ....
if it works better there is a problem with your settings ,  if not then it   may be your module's kick in , try it with your snare  pad ...

if the snare pad trigs the kick well then look at the piezo and jack connections on the Kick pad  and if the contact with the mesh head is ok ...

if not all this , the piezo may be damaged or dead ... so send it to the place you bought as it is under warranty

Denus

Hi edtc,

I checked that setting page several times yesterday but it seems that the changes are only augmenting the velocity of the sample but not the sensibility of the trigger. I've tried the snare input instead, it's a little better.

Have to try the cable yet.

GenuineHuman

Did you lower the threshold to increase sensitivity?

edtc

try those settings ....  pad type KICK 2 / GAIN 4  /THRESHOLD -40  /curve NORM

Denus

The threshold was the key (I wasn't aware that I had to lower it down that much).

Thanks for the help, much appreciated! 

Denus

Unfortunately, after a few settings, changes of the position of the beater on different samples, the issue is still there. Some samples are less responsive than others.

I need to kick hard to get the sample, and it happens too often that the bass drum sample is skipped or too soft to be heard during a jam session.

The only way for me to get a (unnatural) sound out of the kick 2 is to put the setting on Gain 10/15 Threshold -41 and the curve on Max1 or Max2, but that's not enjoyable.
The kick volume has also been set on maximum volume in the mixer.

Btw: the cable has been checked, that's not the issue.
I've moved the beater as close as possible to the sensor, the mesh is tightened.

On the other hand, the beater is quite soft, so that could also be one of the reasons the kick doesn't respond as I used to in the past with my Roland TD12, but I'm not sure about that.

Denus

I wrote an email to 2box and got a fast reply with a solution:

Thanks for using the drum kit. I think I know your problem. The issue here is that the sensor is not touching the head properly due to wrong assembly. I apologize for this error. The solution is simple and you can solve this direct by applying 1-1,5 mm rubber material on the sensor itself so it will come in contact with the head.
If you need further assistance, please come back.
Regards
Team2box

So that's what I will do now, keep you posted.

edtc

Quote from: edtc on January 26, 2012, 09:34:39 PM

.... look at the piezo and jack connections on the Kick pad  and if the contact with the mesh head is ok ...

;)

Denus

Ouais ouais...  ;)

But the contact with the mesh IS correct.
And I figured out what the issue really was: the mesh was actually too tightened.
I loose the screws a bit, and it plays quite well now.

Anyway: I think it's done now, and I learned a few things on the way.

:drum1:

edtc

;;; COOL   , on commence à etre quelques français dans ce bui-bui !!  quelle région?

SHwoKing

"Le bui bui" c'est Lorrain ça comme expression ?  ;)

edtc

Quote from: SHwoKing on January 28, 2012, 07:18:14 PM
"Le bui bui" c'est Lorrain ça comme expression ?  ;)

non je ne crois pas ...

Denus

Je suis Hollandais, mais j'ai vaincu 16 années en France (Région 64, le Béarn "Hil de p...!").
D'ailleurs, je suis marié avec une Française depuis 22 ans maintenant.
Nous vivons en Hollande depuis 92 mais allons retrouver la (belle)famille et nos amis presque tous les ans.