News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Has anyone recorded with it yet...

Started by NeilC, October 16, 2009, 09:19:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeilC

Hi all, I know there is a music section on this forum, but has anyone done any recording with the kit yet?

I have here on my Work In Progress site - the tracks are work in progress too done using Drumit 5 with Cubase, Superior Drummer 2 with DrumKit From Hell. I spent about 2 hours on each track (played all instruments) and these are very rough (no quantize or tweaking yet)

Have a listen http://www.neilcarden.co.uk (the tracks auto play - so be careful if you're at work!)...

Anyone else got any snippets of work???

:)
:rock: :drum3:

Travis182

Neil all I'm going to say is that sounds incredible and i think you have done an awesome job putting all of that together!. The 2nd track in general really had me cranking up my system. Actually i just sat here and did nothing else but listen to it, amazing. The only thing i can really say i noticed was a couple of bum notes in there but hardly any at all, but the rest I'm totally impressed with.

Now i'm going to say, was the 2nd track done with superior? because if not and that was 2box's sounds i'm even more blow away with the sounds they have produced. I don't care what others say it is by far in a league of it's own compared to the likes of the Roland sounds and i honestly think people ears haven't matured properly, not be able to tell the difference. Obviously my own opinion.

Keep up the good work neil C love it dude.

NeilC

Hey Travis! Thanks for the feedback!

Oh yeah none of them are final products! Did you get bum notes on drums or instruments?

All the parts need re-recording, they're basically guide tracks at the minute. The way I record is do a 'demo' actually learn the songs then re record to get them final...

But all of the drums are superior drummer. Actually - what I might do later is re-record in the MIDI through the unit and get the 2box sounds on them? That would be interesting....

Travis182

Hey Neil

Thats a pretty good way of doing it actually, your definitely on the rite track  :animal:.

Those superior drummer tracks are very good! I haven't messed around with software much but they honestly sound really good. I would definitely be interested to hear what the 2box kit sounds like in those mixes though, be a good 50/50 i guess.

NeilC

OK, well I think I'll have some time later so watch this space...

ncwilliamsuk

Hello

I like...

I just bought this yesterday.  However, i am having trouble sending midi messages to my macbook pro from the 2box.  I too have SD2.0, and am using an M-audio uno 1-1 mido-usb cable.  However, it appears to not send any midi information.  This process should work fine, because it works flawlessly with my roland td-6

Here is what i have tried:
- I have tried switching round the in/out connector ends.
- I have tried settings on the "unit-midi" page.  I.e i have changed local on/off.  tried thru on/off (even though the manual says this does not function at the moment. I have tried PrChg on/off.

I have not yet updated the OS version 1.0.  Would this fix the problem?  What else should i try to get this working?  

Did you connect via the usb cable?  I thought tha was just for data transfer.  Will it send the midi signals?

Sorry to turn this into a problem question :)

many thanks
Neil

NeilC

Hi,

I didn't change any settings on the unit, I just used the MIDI out into the MIDI in on my firewire card.

Local On/Off will just turn the sounds on or off in the brain, and as you said the 'thru' wont make any difference. I am connected through MIDI and not USB. As far as I am aware the USB only allows transfer of files etc not MIDI.

So that might be where you issue lies? Can you get hold of a MIDI cable to test?

UC

Quote from: NeilC on November 23, 2009, 10:09:10 AM
So that might be where you issue lies? Can you get hold of a MIDI cable to test?

Good thinking, before playing with too many settings, eliminate the easy stuff first.

ncwilliamsuk

Hello

Good news... I indeed tried all of the obvious stuff, but none of it worked.  Unfortunately some midi problems...

A quick phonecall to handinhand, and the module was sent back to them to fix.  Although they fixed that part, they said that they werent happy with another part of the module, so sent me a replacment :).  Got the new one back and midi is being sent very nicely... I am now getting the sounds that i want. 

Quick report... I also have a Roland TD-6.  I tried them both side by side.  The triggers on the 2box are much nicer.  Im pretty sure this is not just the settings i have put them on, but to my ears the 2box seems to pick up much more velocity range, wich means a much more real sounding kit. 

Also, a note for other people using it for midi: The midi notes stated from the module seem to be one octave below.  E.g. It says a snare may using midi note c2, but actually it sends as c1.  just have to bear that in mind when you map.  Im sure they will change that in a future update. 

Full marks to handinhand.  Customer service is absolutely amazing.  I'd buy it again just for the assistance i recieved. 

Ta

Neil