News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Rob's 2Box DIY Ludwig Kit

Started by ROB219, January 07, 2012, 03:48:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ROB219

Ride is finished. Triggers beautifully!!

I also added a remote HiHat stand, so I could get some more angle on the hats, as the edge can easily be worn out with these items... I think I am going to do something about that soon. Also added the 2Box 14" cymbals into the kit.

The wraps should arrive this week from the USA, so I'll get stuck into them soon.

I am thinking of throwing a couple of splitters on, so I can get a splash, the China, a X-Stick and a cowbell. The unused ride "edge" input I'll use for the China, while I'll split the toms to get the rest.

RockStarGate

X Roland guy here too! Looks awesome Rob, love your DIY 2box cymbals!

ROB219

Kit re-colour is finished. Finished off a few other things too...

Still got some things in the works...

Here are some pics:

fishmonkey

Digs

signature

edtc

rythm

Looks really good! Is that a Gibraltar rack you use?

ROB219

Nah mate its a Roland MDS-25 (Top of the line rack) that Roland uses on their flagship models. It has all the cables in a clear finish that are fitted into the rack. Helps keep cables manageable, and its very strong too. The Roland Hardware, so I found out last night, is actually built by Mapex.

digitalDrummer

Kit looks fantastic. I feared it would turn out too orange, but it came up a treat. I bet it looks even better in the flesh.
Quote from: ROB219 on February 05, 2012, 09:38:45 PM
The Roland Hardware, so I found out last night, is actually built by Mapex.
Actually, I believe Roland sources its hardware from DW.

ROB219

Mapex B75 cymbal arm:

Roland MDY-12 cymbal arm:

If those 2 aren't the same Allan I'll eat my hat.

digitalDrummer

Err... actually, no, there are subtle differences (see the nuts, the rubber grommet, etc). I'm only going by what I was told at the DW stand at NAMM. I'm not saying Roland never sourced from Mapex - rather that DW is the current source.

SHwoKing

They looks quiet the same but you can find quiet identical design with other brand.

Happy hat eating  ;D

Fantastic job for the kit, you gave orange color justice !

Oh and BTW, did you get your previous wrap from Sic Skinz ? It looks that way.

ROB219

Nah I won't be eating my hat... they're the same... too similar not to be, and with the big brands not wanting to copy each other (patent laws and such) it would seem stupid of DW to copy Mapex, or vice versa. It has to be a Mapex item, albeit slightly different to accomodate the Roland way of life. I stand by my statement. Just because a few little things are different doesn't mean it is.

Sure DW may be the CURRENT supplier of the rack clamps and tubing... but I highly doubt they're copying the Mapex design for the cymbal arms.
But I've been told I am wrong by many others before... when in fact I am right.
So we'll leave that at that. Its not a major drama anyway, I'll be buying the Mapex arms in future at 75% of the cost of the SAME Roland item.

BURNIN AMBITION

Quote from: ROB219 on February 06, 2012, 05:27:14 AM
Mapex B75 cymbal arm:

can i ask something? (please dont laugh at me). what is this arm used for? one cymbal or more? i ask because i havent seen such a plastic thing on tom of an arm. if it is for 2 cymbals, does it work like a stacker? and how are the cymbals attached on it? i need 4 stackers to add 2 splashes and 2 bells in my set (ok it is not my first priority, i am happy with my 2 crashed and my china in my acoustic set, but id like to know if this thingy is helpful for such things and if it is better than a stacker
2box, bengt, deve, digital drummer, Jman, Brian, Manfred thanx for everything

iola 11
http://www.facebook.com/iola11
www.reverbnation.com/iola11
https://soundcloud.com/iola11
https://twitter.com/iola11band
www.youtube.com/iola11band
www.myspace.com/iola11