News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

XM Cymbals - Anyone tried with 2Box ?

Started by 6828, December 27, 2011, 11:02:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

G'day gang.

I'm interested in a ride cymbal and was thinking of getting one of the XM Edrum cymbals on eBay.

Has anyone tried one of these ?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/XM-EDRUM-13-Electronic-Cymbal-without-ARMS-All-trigger-zone-/270853513296?pt=AU_Musical_Instruments_Instruments&hash=item3f1020a050#ht_6138wt_1165

If not I'm open to suggestions for a ride.

Tony

digitalDrummer

We review the XM in the February 2012 digitalDrummer. It's a great crash, but is not quite compatible with the 2box as a ride. You can't access the bell (cup) zone - if you hit on the bell, you get the edge sound. If you hit on the edge, you get the edge sound there as well.
Hope that helps.

Thanks for the heads up on that one.

I wonder if it can be rewired ?

The search continues for a Ride cymbal then.

Do Roland cymbals have the same issue if the XM series is supposed to be compatible with Roland kits ?

Tony

digitalDrummer

Quote from: 6828 on December 28, 2011, 07:54:24 PM
Thanks for the heads up on that one.

I wonder if it can be rewired ?

The search continues for a Ride cymbal then.

Do Roland cymbals have the same issue if the XM series is supposed to be compatible with Roland kits ?

Tony

XM's compatibility claims are a bit loose. The XM cymbal is not fully compatible with Roland moduels as a ride - again the issue is the bell trigger. XM has one output, so you can't get Bell, bow and edge at the same time ona module that has two ride inputs..

edtc

i was looking for some specs on this XM cymbal , and impossible to know what kind of plugs it has ...

How is it possible they say it has bell , surface and edge , with only a stereo jack ?    is it possible that edge and choke are wired together on the ring  of the jack ?   

another thing is that if there is a bell piezo and an edge switch , and if rewiring is possible , this could be an ideal candidate for a 3 zone ride for the drumit5 ....

... and without rewiring , a decent crash ....

digitalDrummer

It's an excellent crash - two zones, choke, good sensitivity and cheap.

edtc

digitalDrummer

Quote from: edtc on December 29, 2011, 02:51:14 AM
are you sure ;)
Since I'm looking at the proofs right now, you can take that as a "yes". However, to put it into context, the review looks at a range of e-rides - but only coupled with Roland modules.
Most of our reviews now test triggers on four platforms - Roland (hi end), Roland (older), 2Box and Yamaha (I'm working on adding an Alesis as well). Unfortunately, that means I have do the reviews myself since my other reviewers don't have the full array of modules.

edtc

Quote from: digitalDrummer on December 29, 2011, 06:17:04 AM
Since I'm looking at the proofs right now, you can take that as a "yes". However, to put it into context, the review looks at a range of e-rides - but only coupled with Roland modules.
Most of our reviews now test triggers on four platforms - Roland (hi end), Roland (older), 2Box and Yamaha (I'm working on adding an Alesis as well). Unfortunately, that means I have do the reviews myself since my other reviewers don't have the full array of modules.

oups !  sorry , i was looking in the february 2011 issue ,where E-cymbals were rewiewed ... ;)

Just had one of these delivered.

Its a stereo 1/4 inch connector and it looks like it can be rewired for multi zone.

Ill check soon how that can be done and report back.

In the meantime the rubber is nice and thick where it needs to be and its responding well on tge 2box brain.