News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Edge protection at cymbals

Started by Manfred, December 20, 2011, 12:13:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manfred

Hello,

i got my kit now since end of 2009. Recently i bought another cymbal (second hand) and noticed that the new cymbal doesn't have an edge protection like the old ones have. The new cymbal is about a half a year old and the seller confirmed that he didn't change anything at the cymbal. So i wonder why 2Box removed the edge protection, any ideas? Do your cymbals have these edge protection?

This is how the old cymbals look like:

And this is the new cymbal:

There are a few posts around the forums where people report damaged rubbers at the edge. Thats why i'm a bit concerned about the new cymbal. Or do you think this edge protection doesn't help at all?

Regards, Manfred

GenuineHuman

I have no "edge protection" and no rubber cracks on cymbals. I only have rubber cracks on hi-hat. I believe it's mainly because the hi-hat rubber (the inner edge) is inconsistent.

BURNIN AMBITION

only one out of my 3 cymbals, has it....fuck
2box, bengt, deve, digital drummer, Jman, Brian, Manfred thanx for everything

iola 11
http://www.facebook.com/iola11
www.reverbnation.com/iola11
https://soundcloud.com/iola11
https://twitter.com/iola11band
www.youtube.com/iola11band
www.myspace.com/iola11

ezzviah

I'm the seller of the cymbals to Manfred. I just checked the hihat as well and I have no protection on the hihat.

So far it doesn't bother me but I mostly play with real cymbals. But I understand the concern on this.

Manfred

Hi,

no doubt on my side that the cymbals came without the protection right from the retailer/2Box. I started this thread to get more opinions/reports from other users. Especially (but not only) from users who already had problems with the rubber. There it would be interesting to know whether these cymbals had the protection or not.

Actually i wonder if it makes sense to put a protection on or not.

Regards, Manfred

fishmonkey

i have MK I cymbals, no edge protectors here...

Manfred

Checked my hihat and this has the edge protector too. But since fishmonkeys MKI-cymbals don't have it it seems that 2Box stopped quite early to put the protectors in.

Regards, Manfred

waynec42

So, does anyone know the difference between the MKI and MKII cymbals?

Berk

I have no edge protectors and my rubber is destroyed! I'm using Gen16s now though :)

nonoduweb

I have rubber protection (old MK1 cymbals) and no problem since two years.

GenuineHuman

Today I was dreaming that the rubber on my cymbals was completely kaputt. I was also a very good drummer so it was definetly a dream. :)

spoenk

i've got the edge protection on all the cymbals...but my serial is only 135...so one of the first kits...everything works fine since october 2009...

Manfred

Hi,

to finish that discussion i want to mention a post in the german Drummerforum. Hyperactive (german distributor) wrote that all new cymbals now have this edge protection. And it is also available seperately to rework the cymbals. I think that helps to prevent damages at the rubber.

Since the really old cymbals had this edge protection i still wonder why they removed it meanwhile. However, for those of you who understand german this is the link to the post:

http://www.drummerforum.de/forum/p1008020-2box-drumit-five-bestellt-fotos-test-und-erfahrungen-hier-sobald-es-eintrifft.html#post1008020

Regards, Manfred

Murgen

I miss the hihat protection ... I assume that is a different item then the cymbal protection ...
--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012

Murgen

Quote from: Murgen on May 28, 2012, 06:44:12 PM
I miss the hihat protection ... I assume that is a different item then the cymbal protection ...

Made a call with my supplier, he will check with Hyperactiv. The cymbal edge protection from the crash was not in place, ride was oke and hihat missing ...
--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012